2011 Ford Edge drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

Aug 022014

Edge 6-cyl

Driving on major highway, 55 mph, all of a sudden the car jerks, slows down and I cannot control the acceleration. I have to quickly pull over onto grassy area out of the way of traffic. The AWD signal came on and a wrench signal. I quickly turned car off and restarted and it was fine. This happened over a month ago and did not happen again until yesterday and then again this morning. All 3 times my 2 year old has been with me and I have been on a major highway. This could have had dire consequences. The car slows down so quickly that if anyone was closely behind me they certainly would have rear-ended me. Looking online this seems to be quite the issue, yet there has been no recall?? this is unacceptable!

- Laurel, DE, USA

Sep 182014

Edge 6-cyl

My vehicle all of a sudden slowed down to a coast and would not accelerate. A yellow icon appeared and informed me that I needed to take the vehicle in to the dealer asap, there is a malfunction in the vehicle's AWD system. I was able to pull over to the side of the road and turn of the car. The car then started and I was able to get home. When I brought the car over to the dealership I got hit with a $1,000 bill, for the part (throttle box controller) $475, labor $120, re programming the computer $130, fuel injector cleaning $159 and oil change $75. My car is almost three years old and I take good care of it. It is not acceptable that an electrical component's part and labor replacement cost is $1000 in less than three years.

- Port St. Lucie, FL, USA

Sep 082014

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving 25 miles per hour on a major roadway and for no reason the car lost acceleration. The engine began to shake and gasp. After I lost power to the engine I could only drive one mile an hour to try to get off the road in heavy traffic. I did not get in an accident but it could have easily happened. A yellow warning wrench icon appeared. I turned off the car. I restarted the car and the problem resolved. I took it to a repair shop and they cleaned the throttle body because no error codes were found and it was dirty. It happened again one week later when I was traveling 50 miles per hour. I tried to drive to a dealership to keep the wrench icon on but the car stalled. I restarted and the problem resolved but I continued to a Ford dealership. Once again there was no code. I have researched this on the internet and it is happening to others as well. This is very dangerous and I am lucky it did not cause an accident. This should be recalled and repaired by Ford.

- Salisbury, MD, USA

Sep 152014

Edge 6-cyl

Actually happened twice. Once at 60 mph and again at about 15mph. The car immediately decelerates on its own as if it is not getting gas. The "wrench" icon comes on. When the car is turned off and restarted, it functions normally. Several similar instances reported on internet.

- Victoria, TX, USA

Sep 092014

I began to accelerate at a intersection when my vehicle suddenly and without warning lost power to the wheels. The engine remained on but began to sputter. A yellow wrench appeared on the dashboard saying that the AWD had turned off. I turned the engine off and it restarted with some difficulty. A few days later the same issue occurred again but now wont run more than a few hundred yards without recurring.

- Riverside, RI, USA

Aug 212014

Edge 6-cyl

I had just purchased my 2011 Ford Edge sel driving it for the first time after driving it home. I was driving on a two lane hwy when I lost power, a warning came up on the dash AWD off with the little tool beside it. I had to coast off to the side of the road and thankfully there was a place to pull over. I waited a few minutes then restarted the car and it drove fine until 1 week later while I was driving on the interstate it did the exact same thing, the car shut down again. I did make it to the side of the road this time it did not want to start so I waited alittle longer and tried again and it did start back up. I pulled out and less than 1/2 mile down the road it shut down again. I managed to get it to the side of the road turned everything off restarted it again. All of this happened at night with just me and my son, we were scared to death. I did make it home that night. I called the dealership where I purchased the car and was told that they couldn't see me until 1 week and 2 days later. I took it to the dealerships service dept today and was told that they can't help me with my car since it is a Ford and they are a Chevy dealer and I need to take it to their Ford dealership. I should have been told this before I drove an unsafe car 45 minuted down the road. After complaining to the salesman who sold me the car, they are going to take it to the Ford service dept for me (its 3hrs from my house) but that is not until next week. I am stuck with an unsafe car to drive that I just purchased and haven't even made the first payment.

- Rock Cave, WV, USA

Aug 112014

I was driving along on a 2 lane highway when all of a sudden I had no power in the gas pedal, and an orange wrench light popped up in my dash. I pulled off the road and put my car in park. It was idling very rough. I turned the car off and after a few minutes I cranked it back up and it was fine. I took it to tallahassee Ford on magnolia. When I got there and told the service guy what the problem was he immediately said it was the throttle body. Two days later he called and said they replaced the PCM. It was fine for 24 hours then it did the same thing again in downtown traffic. I took it back to Ford and they replaced my dirty air filter and that was it. Now it's back at Ford right now, because the problem is now happening more frequently and is very dangerous as I do a lot of interstate driving, and they just called to tell me it's the throttle body and it would be nearly $600 to replace it. I feel like I've gotten the run around!

- Monticello, FL, USA

Aug 262014

When driving my Ford Edge down the highway, it suddenly loses power and have to pull off road. Has happened 3X so took to dealership and they want $900 to fix! really can't believe a throttle body goes out after 3 years.

- Statham, GA, USA

Aug 042014

Edge 6-cyl

The engine remains running, but vehicle looses all power to the wheels and suddenly stops. This has occurred at various speeds from 25 mph on a county road to 55 mph on an interstate. It is unsafe and the car is unable to maneuvered to the side of the road. This clearly is a issue with the manufacture of the vehicle, and dramatically impacts safety, increasing the potential for a serious crash. There has been a recall for this very same issue with later years, involving a half-shaft retention clip that is not properly installed. Ford refuses to acknowledge that this issue is occurring with other model years, and refuses to address or correct the problem.

- Olympia, WA, USA

Aug 142014

Edge 6-cyl

Door ajar sensor appeared, took vehicle back to dealer, replaced door latch and door ajar icon disappeared. Automatic door latches are working properly; however, one week later, as I was driving a wrench icon appeared and my car lost power. Imagine the danger involved in driving and loosing power. Called the dealer, left the car again for another repair session. It is my understanding that the door ajar sensor has been very problematic for the Ford Edge model and there has not been a recall. Add my complaint to the list of many and hopefully something will be done for the consumer. I am disappointed because the vehicle still smells new and only has 40,200 miles on it but is already having problems. Acronym for Ford=fix or repair daily, and I sure hope not! Ford has another acronym, but I will not post it at this time. Trying to remain patient, but diligent.

- Athens, TN, USA

Aug 062014

Going down a busy road at 45mph, my 2011 Ford Edge did a slight jerk and I lost the ability to accelerate. I was nearly rear ended! this incident has happened 3 times in 3 weeks. They occur at random and without warning. A wrench icon will display on the dash when it occurs. I had to coast to the shoulder of the road to stop since I could not accelerate, nor did the motor rev when I pressed the gas. Once stopped on shoulder, I cut the vehicle off and back on. It took longer than normal to crank. Once it finally started up I was able to continue driving with no problems. I brought the vehicle in to a Ford dealer to see what the error messages read and they were unable to find any messages on my car. This fact made it so I could not use my warranty coverage to cover repair cost. This is ludicrous! since this issue is recurring and, after research, found to be prevalent in many Ford models, Ford should step up and recall this issue but they won't. this is a dangerous issue and could cause injuries!

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jul 272014

Edge 6-cyl

I am a 55 year old woman and July 27, 2014 headed for St. Louis to the airport. About 35 minutes into my trip, on a very rural Missouri highway, my car had no power accelerating and the "wrench light" came on. Luckily, a church parking lot was near, so I coasted there and shut off the car. I started it, it was running ok and the light went off. I made the rest of my trip. When I got back home, I left the next day on August 6th to head to Aurora, mo to help my daughter. About 1 1/2 hours into my trip, the car did exactly the same thing. No power, wrench light on. I was so nervous since I was on interstate 44 with heavy traffic. I got off the interstate and restarted the car and made it to Aurora. I took my car to the Ford dealer there. They checked it and stated no codes came up so they couldn't do anything. I called hutcheson Ford in St. James (where I purchased Edge) and they wanted me to bring it in. July 28th, I took it to St. James with the same results. No codes, no help. I came home and had a local mechanic drive it. He did and said there was something wrong & to check the internet for common problems. I couldn't believe the number of people that had the same problem on their 2011 Edge and stated it was throttle body. I drive a lot by myself on roads with no shoulder so I had to have it taken care of. Today I just picked up the Edge with a new throttle body of $710.

- Viburnum, MO, USA

Aug 092014

When I accelerate from a stop position, or when I am approx. Only a few miles per hour the vehicle will jump and it will feel the vehicle jump and it feels like I am rear-ended. I asked my dealer about this and was told they never heard of it. It was all over the internet. Many, many owners had the same problem. I found tsb 11-5-6 and brought it with me to my dealer and had it fixed. Again, they never even heard of the tsb, which I do not believe because it seems like it is such a common problem. The vehicle seemed fine but started happening again. I emailed, and spoke on the phone, to the dearer and to Ford. They specified they would have to take the vehicle and see what is happening. I explained to them that it doesn't happen all the time, just like the last time. They said if they can reproduce it, they can't fix it. Plus I would be charged for it even though it has been an ongoing problem. There is no way for them to reproduce it at will, as it only happens about 1 time per month. When it does happen, it is very scary because it feels like someone hit you. I found tsb 13-3-18 which is another repair for the same problem. Ford told me it doesn't pertain to me. According the wording in the tsb, I am not so sure. Ford is fully aware of this problem. It is all over the internet. They should be obligated to fix it.

- Attleboro, MA, USA

Aug 082014

Edge 6-cyl

Driving about 40 mph when car shifted into overdrive, then it bucked. Followed by decrease in speed. Check engine light and awdlight came on. Limped car to safe location. No throttle response. Engine was running, but stumbling. I turned car off and waited a minute. Then restarted, everything was back to normal. The sudden deceleration was so violent that I almost hit my head on steering wheel. Concerned it may happen again on a busier highway and the consequences that may prevail. I am also wondering if ithe throttle body is the same as the Ford escape which has a recall on it.

- Biddeford, ME, USA

Jun 022014

Edge 6-cyl

This is my 2nd complaint about this same defect as it has occurred 2 additional times (3 total incidents). The 1st incident occurred on 4/11. The 2nd incident occurred on 6/2 when my wife was turning right from an intersection. At approximately 20mph she lost the ability to accelerate and had to quickly change lanes and coast to the side of the road while avoiding traffic. She put the car in park and turned the vehicle off. Once she turned the car back on, the car operated normally. The 3rd incident occurred on 6/3. my wife accelerated from a red light into an intersection and lost the ability to accelerate. She was stuck in the middle of a busy intersection with cars swerving around her. She again stopped her car from coasting, put it in park, and turned the car off. She restarted the car and it operated normally. I deemed her car too dangerous to drive and would not allow her to drive until repaired. I searched the internet and found the Ford escape, Fusion, mariner, and Milan had the exact same problem the Edges are having. Those owners received an extended warranty for a defective throttle body. Reference customer service program (csp) 13N03 and NHTSA action # PE13003. I took her car to the dealership and they could not find any error codes nor repeat the problem. He said he could not repair anything without this information. I mentioned csp 13N03 and he said he was aware of it but it didn't apply to the Edge. Since the problems were exactly the same, I asked if replacing the throttle body would fix the problem. He hesitated but after some prodding he said it would most likely fix the problem but he couldn't officially say so. I had them replace the throttle body on 6/6 ($698.06) and my wife has had zero problems as of 8/13, further proving it's the same defect. I hope Ford steps up as they did with the other Ford models and corrects this dangerous safety hazard.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Jun 012014

Edge 6-cyl

On 10 occasions, while driving the engine stalled and I could not accelerate. The "AWD off" and engine icon would light up. In all incidents, I was able to pull over to the shoulder and avoid a rear end collision. I had the car serviced at a Ford dealer, they had to replace the throttle body. They indicated that most of their issues regarding the Ford Edge has been related to a defected throttle body.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 052014

Edge 6-cyl

When driving on a 2 lane mountain road at 60, engine fully warmed up (running for 20+ minutes, ambient temperature approx 85 F) the throttle become unresponsive and the engine RPM dropped to approximately 600 RPM based on the dash tachometer. When this happened a yellow wrench dialog was displayed on the digital dash with no text other than "ok". all controls other than the throttle seemed to function correctly. We were going downhill when this happened and were able to coast until we found a suitable place to pull over. Once we pulled over we noticed the engine was running rough and sputtering. We turned the engine off and then back on and the issue persisted (rough idling and no throttle control). Opened hood and pulled engine cover to check for any visible issues, none found. When we got back into the car the throttle was functioning properly and the idle was smooth with no sputtering. We finished the rest of the drive without incident and when we got back to the house hooked up the obdii reader and no fault codes were stored. We took the Edge in to the nearest Ford dealer (lawley's team Ford in silver city, nm) the next morning and they found no fault codes stored in any module and charged us $122.25 for the diagnostics even though the car is still covered under the factory power train warranty. They said they didn't know what caused the issue but said it may have been a "random glitch" or "bad fuel". thankfully, this happened on a lightly traveled road and we were heading downhill and able to coast and find a place to pull off the road. If this were a busy road or we were not able to pull completely off the road this could have been a much more serious issue. We have only owned the vehicle for less than a month so we can't say whether it has happened before that. It has not occurred in the 1000+ miles we have put on the car since it occurred.

- Douglass, KS, USA

Jul 242014

Edge 6-cyl

In heavy traffic the vehicle stopped. Required tow to dealer, who replaced the throttle body under warranty.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Jul 192014

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway and the car would no longer accelerate, and began to slow down. I still had power steering and brakes, and all other electronic devices were working. Also a warning light came on with a wrench icon. I was able to get over to the side of the road, turned off the engine, and then tried it again and it everything seemed to be alright. I got to the next exit and called aaa and I had the car towed to my local mechanic where it was determined that it was a throttle body failure. It was replaced and the car is working well again.

- Yorktown Heights, NY, USA

Jul 222014

My wife was driving home from work during rush hour and twice on the same trip the engine shuttered then completely shut down. The first time, luckily, she was able to coast across four lanes of traffic to the shoulder because this happened where two interstates merge and the is not a shoulder on the left. We took the car to the dealership and they replaced the throttle body. The dealer stated it was a known problem and has been recalled on other models but not the Edge. I called Ford customer service and I got the impression they did not care about the issue or the safety of the people driving their vehicles. Because of this we traded our vehicle at a loss within a week of spending $700 to replace the throttle body.

- Mount Juliet, TN, USA