2011 Ford Edge drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Aug 032014

Edge 6-cyl

The vehicle shut down on the highway. It appeared that the vehicle had no fuel. The yellow wrench came on, and the vehicle died, as it came to a stop. After a few minutes, started as if nothing had happened. It has done it a few other times, today. I checked to see if there were any codes and on the first few times, there were not (autozone), but the last time it threw P2111.

- St Charles, MO, USA

Jun 022014

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving when I lost acceleration. A wrench light came up on my screen. Thankfully my brakes still worked and I was able to coast to a stop, almost getting rear ended by a semi, but then the whole motor started shaking and sputtering. I put my vehicle in park and turned it off. When I went to turn it back on it hesitated for a minute, but then started. This didn't happen again until a few weeks later while on the highway going 60mph! I've had it happen multiple times since then and almost being hit a few other times. I've noticed that I don't have as much power when accelerating even when the wrench doesn't come up. Today it happened twice within a couple of minutes and the check engine light came on this time. I don't understand why they won't have a recall when so many people have an issue! I've almost been hit multiple times when this occurs and I would rather not have me or my child hurt from a malfunction that needs to be fixed!

- Evansville, IN, USA

Aug 012011

Edge 6-cyl

At decelleration, a loud and notable clunk (almost as if hit by another vehicle) can be felt/heard when the gas pedal is pressed after decelleration. This appears to be consistent with other owner's description of similar situations during decelleration then accelleration without stopping, for example, when approaching a red light that changes green before the vehicle comes to a complete stop. Dealer is not able to reproduce problem.

- Blaine, MN, USA

Jul 042014

Edge 6-cyl

While driving at highway speeds on an interstate, there was a sudden loss of accelerator power. I was able to maneuver the vehicle to the side of the road, park, shut the engine off, and restart with seemingly no repeatable affect. Dealer not able to reproduce the problem but says that it's probably the throttle body. This loss of power and required shoulder maneuver could have caused a significant crash due to surrounding traffic.

- Blaine, MN, USA

Jul 132014

Edge 6-cyl

2011 Edge, 3.5 years old, with 41,000 miles. Car suddenly lost power to move forward, but car was still running, wrench appeared on screen, was able to coast and pull over. Turned engine off, restarted vehicle successfully. Problem repeated itself the next day, twice, was able to (fortunately) coast to a safe area and turn the car off. Car was restarted, engine light appeared after the third incident. Car was taken to dealership. Code P2111. Throttle body was replaced ($636), updated software - powertrain?? ($95), and performed a "highly recommended" fuel cleaning ($108). Total cost, with miscellaneous charges for environmental waste and tax, was $884. I have owned numerous vehicles, most from Ford, most older than 3.5 years old and having more than 41,000 miles, never had a problem like this before - very disappointing! high level of concern during incidents that the car would create a traffic problem. Fortunately it did not and was able to avoid high traffic and high speeds, and was able to get the vehicle to a dealership.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Jul 222014

Edge 6-cyl

Coming off of lakeshore drive with my 4 month old son in the back car seat and the truck just goes limp with no power. It drove really slow and so I pulled off to the side turned off the truck restarted and seemed fine. There were cars coming up behind me thank goodness no accident. Made it to my sons doctor appointment and quickly called the dealership and the service guy said he has heard nothing with the Ford Edge and doesn't know what the wrench meant. He said I need to bring it in and I will be charged $125 just to look at it. I asked if it was safe to drive back with my son and he just said I don't know. So I asked why would the handbook say to contact the dealership immediately? apparently this seems to be an issue with this and needs to be fixed. I have two small children and do not want something serious to happen for something that is obviously a defect!

- Chicago , IL, USA

Jul 222014

Edge 6-cyl

Nys thruway at exit 18, cleared toll booth and wrench symbol illuminated on dash with associated dialogue box check owners manual. Power loss was immediately evident with no response from input to the accelerator pedal. Shut off engine and restarted with positive results. Traveled approximately 5 miles and same indication appeared accompanied by loss of power and no response from accelerator pedal. Shut off and re-started engine with no problems. This has occurred four times so far in the last two weeks. I am an aircraft mechanic and it seems that it's a scheduling problem. After the previous incident it seems to re-appear every 100 miles, with a half tank of fuel indicated. I recently added fuel injection cleaner to a full tank of gas, specifically for a 12 gallon tank. The oil life is at 50% and a systems check indicates no problems. All incidences of this happening when the air conditioning was running and engine temp was mid- scale.

- Highland , NY, USA

Oct 222013

Edge

While on an interstate highway going 65 mph. The car went limp-no power. Wrench symbol and AWD lights come on. After nearly getting rear ended trying to get to the berm, shut car off restarted it and it ran fine. Took car to dealer where they diagnosed it as a computer issue. On 7-12-14 while on interstate going 70 mph., exact same thing happened. On 7-13-14, 7-16-14, 7-20-14 and 7-21-14 at speeds between 25 and 35 mph. This happened a total of 8 separate times. Took car to Ford dealer where they diagnosed it as replace throttle body and reprogram computer for total cost of $788. Someone is going to die on a highway or making a left hand turn at an intersection if this problem is not properly addressed.

- Medina, OH, USA

Jun 192014

Edge 6-cyl

It appeared to me that the engine disconnected from the drive train. A box lit up on the dash saying. "all wheel drive off." The vehicle continued to creep at an extremely slow speed. I stopped and turned off the engine. I started the engine again and the vehicle seemed fine. I did not have another incident for a few weeks. Sunday July 13 it stopped probably a dozen times on a 10 mile round trip. Since then it happens 2 or 3 times a day until today. Today it has stopped 10 times before 10:00 am. (July 17, 2014).

- Waterford, MI, USA

Jul 112014

Edge

I loved everything about my 2011 Ford Edge limited AWD, I've had it less then two months. Then one morning as I was commuting to work I lost power to my Edge. The weather was clear approx. 68 degrees, a beautiful Friday morning I was driving I felt a jolt like a kick in the transmission that was followed by a flash of the tool symbol & "AWD off? on my front instrument panel. I lost acceleration power. I had nowhere to pull off on the side of the road and had just came out of a sharp curve. All I could do was put the Edge in park. Turn off, then turn back on, it started right up luckily. The next day my husband took the Edge to a Ford dealership. The service dept. Hooked up the Edge and found no problems/errors/codes. Although they said it is probably the throttle body, since they have had several Ford Edges come in with the same problem. I have googled ?losing power while driving my 2011 Ford Edge? and didn?T relies that this is the #1 problem with Ford Edges, you would think that Ford would do something about this. After reading all the comments I saw information on the ?throttle body" being replaced. Several people posted their Edge had a code P2111 or P2112 (pertaining to the throttle body). I called Ford and they told me this would not be covered under warranty. Help! I have a small family now I'm scared to drive!

- Ripley, WV, USA

Jul 122014

Edge 6-cyl

In the middle of driving normally the engine slows RPM almost to a stall then would not do any thing when the gas pedal was pressed. After pulling over I shut off the car and turned it back on and it drove fine for about 20 miles. Then while slowing down to a redlight it did the same thing. So I turned it off and on and it was fine again. I drove it home and now its sitting in the driveway. After looking online it seems that it is probably the throttle body. Im going to replace that and see what happens.

- Berlin, NJ, USA

Jul 102014

Edge 6-cyl

On my way to work on 787 in rush hour traffic 7:30 in the morning, was about to get off of 787 to get on I90 all of the sudden I lost full power of the gas, pulled over as soon as I could with all the traffic. The symbol came up on the screen the wrench looking picture. I shut my car off. Called my husband and hoping I wouldn't get hit with people doing 60 plus right passed me. After 10 min I started my car back up and hoping I can accelerate back onto 787. Finally got to work. Ford really needs to take care of this issue with all the complaints I have seen!!!!

- Mechanicville , NY, USA

Jun 292014

Edge

Driving 45 mph and vehicle lost power, the wrench dash warning light came on, pulled over shut it off and it was rough to start but it did, and ran ok. A week later did it again going about 25 mph. As others have mentioned scanner shows no codes. Fortunately for us the issues have happened on low volume roadways, not high speed, high traffic like some unlucky folks. Local dealer called Ford and it is not covered under the power train, we have 35K miles but 45 months. Hopefully Ford will stand up and do a recall without waiting for the deaths to multiply like GM!

- N Ft Myers , FL, USA

Jun 282014

Edge

Driving on the road and making a right turn, the vehicle lost accelerator response. Had to coast of the road in a very busy intersection. The check engine light and the wrench light on dash lit up. Turned the car off and on 3 times and then I could drive like nothing happened and the dash lights went off. It happened again a week later on the highway at 65 mph. I was on the left lane and there was no shoulder so I had to coast thru threee lanes to the right shoulder. Again, turned car on of several times until regained accelerator response. When I reached my destination I located an obdii scanner andd the P2111 code came up. This is the same issue as the Ford escape that was issued an extended warranty. Investigating thru the internet there are many complaints of the same issue on the Ford Edge. Why is it Ford not acknowledging the issue and do the same as for the escape vehicles?

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 212014

Edge 6-cyl

We were traveling on a highway when all of a sudden we lost "power" but it was only the ability to go. There was enough traffic and lack of speed to prohibit from moving all the way over to the shoulder. We made it to the slowest lane (furthest right hand lane). The only thing that saved us from being rear ended was there was a sheriff near by and saw us broke down stranded and he helped direct traffic around us for our safety. We were in an unpopulated area and had no resources for some one to come get us or know which towing company could help us, along with knowing a trusted mechanic out where we were. My car is less than 4 years old, this should not be happening. When we finally made it home out of sheer luck, we did lots of research on what the problem could be and found millions had the same problem with their Ford. I love the company but I never end been so stressed out and scared for my children's safety. I bought this vehicle to be safe and it had failed me. Like I said, I could be marking this form differently if the officer didn't protect us. The part was not cheap along with the labor. With so many other people breaking down for the same reason, I am shocked and appalled that there hasn't been a recall for this yet. I urge you to change that and keep the roads safe for all drivers. Since the affected part doesn't have my specific part, it was the throttle body and even my mechanics said Ford has never had a good one. Wish I would of know that before purchasing my vehicle.

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

Jul 062014

Edge

Driving getting ready to make a turn, vehicle completely stalled out, didn't turn off but I lost power. Had no ability to accelerate. Immediately put on hazard lights, put into park and turned car off. Turned car back on and preceded with fear and caution. I had a similar incident at about14000 miles when I took it in for service they said nothing was wrong. I'm afraid to drive to work in the morning, if this happens during rush hour someone may be injured or worst. I usually have my grand daughter with me.

- Parkville, MD, USA

Jun 302014

Edge

2nd incident in 3 weeks. First incident, was traveling at 70 mph on a highway and second was at 50 mph on a regional route. While in drive, without warning, AWD off appears followed by the wrench icon indicating service is needed immediately. The car loses its ability to accelerate. Engine, brakes, radio, ac all still work, the only issue is an inability to accelerate at all so the car basically is in neutral and starts losing speed immediately. Had to put on emergency blinkers both times, coast across busy highway lanes to the emergency lane. Turned the car off and then back on and it was as if nothing happened. This issue needs to be addressed immediately as it could be potentially life threatening (think if you were crossing an intersection, needed to speed up to get out of the way of something or were on train tracks). After the first incident, I brought it to the dealer who ran a diagnostic and found nothing wrong with the car. I am bringing it to a separate dealer after experiencing this issue a second time. Other issues that reference similar experience cite a faulty throttle body with error code P21111. This should be recalled immediately.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jun 232014

Edge

Second incident in 3 weeks. While driving, AWD off light appears while the car is in drive. Any attempt to accelerate fails and I had to drift through traffic to the side of the road. Turning the car off and on seems to temporarily solve the issue. Brought it to a Ford dealer during first incident and they ran a diagnostic but nothing came up. This issue is dangerous and potentially life threatening.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jun 202014

Edge

While driving on the expressway, I lost power, a wrench light came on the dash and the engine chugged. I pulled off at the closest exit, fearing the car would totally stop.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 142014

Edge

Driving 43mph, my vehicle stalled while driving. The AWD off and wrench icon indicators appeared on the dashboard. I had to swerve onto the median to avoid being rear-ended. This happened again on June 16, 17, 24 & 25. This has happened at varying speeds, faster and slower than the first incident. It ended up being the throttle body, and conveniently just 4000 miles past the warranty expiration. I was told by two separate mechanics that this is something they've seen many times, and if it were one of two other Ford models, it would be covered under the extended warranty plan by Ford. It is the same part in all vehicles, but only covered in certain models" this faulty part is putting people's lives at risk, or at minimum putting them in unnecessary danger of an accident and resulting financial damages that follow. If it's a known issue with the part, why is this allowed to continue? and why are only certain models covered" $600 later and I don't trust that my problem is solved.

- Tampa, FL, USA