2011 Ford Edge drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 6 of 8)

Jun 172014

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving and my throttle went away completely with no warning. I was in the middle of a busy intersection with my 1 year old daughter in the car. I put my flashers on and drifted backwards trying to get off the road and hurried to get my daughter out of the car in case we were hit. After a mechanic scanned it he said the throttle body was bad. After some research I discovered that Ford knows this is a problem but have only covered it through extended warranty for certain models and not the Edge and the part is $500. I do not have this kind of money and its a faulty part through no fault of my own. I have 2 kids and this is my only vehicle. I need Ford to cover this repair.

- Lavale, MD, USA

Jun 062014

Edge

As many have stated, drove about 1/2 hour downtown and dropped off wife and was on my way back home (did not turn car off even at the dropoff). Still downtown driving about 35 mph and lost all acceleration. Car just began to decelerate. Still had power to the steering and breaks, radio, dash, etc.. just could not accelerate. Pulled off to side and engine was a bit rough. Turned off car and restarted. All was fine. Took into Ford dealership a few days later. Originally they said it was a steering angle sensor module at a pretty hefty price. I suggested that I'll wait until it happens again (if it does) where we can get an alarm code from it. They did the rest of the regular maintenance and then when the guy took it out for test drive it happened to him. Error code P21111 - faulty throttle body. It is on order but not under warranty even though I'm just under the 60,000 miles and not even 4 years old yet.

- Ottawa, Canada, NY, USA

May 022014

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated while driving the vehicle suddenly stalled. When the failure occurred, the power train malfunctioned and the power sensor light illuminated. The contact indicated that the defect occurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the throttle body was defective. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,320.

- New Port Richey , FL, USA

Mar 012013

Edge 6-cyl

Engine stalled on interstate. Had to pull into the emergency lane, shift to park, and restart. Appears to be the same issue that Ford has recalled for other models that use the same defective part! car was taken to dealer after this occurred, however the error codes do not retain after restarting. No trouble was found, could not replicate. Have had subsequent stalls since, going back to dealer Wednesday this week, however warranty has now expired.

- Moss Point, MS, USA

May 122014

Edge 6-cyl

Vehicle stalled. This is the 4th stall. First 3 were on the interstate at speed, this time in the driveway. Dealer has checked and found no issues, all diagnostics are good. Full tank of good gas. No indications of what's going. Seems to be identical to the same issue that was investigated and Ford has acknowledged for a more popular model under Ford consumer satisfaction program 13N03. Based on the complaints I am reason online and the write-ups leading to the recall, believe the recall should be expanded to include additional models using the same technology...likely the same TB assembly.

- Moss Point, MS, USA

May 132014

Edge

During driving, the engine stopped and car would not accelerate, there was a complete loss of power. There was no warning, and the "yellow wrench" light came on, and car would not go. This was in the middle of the road and could not get off of the road. It happened so quickly, there was no time to react to try to pull over. Lost steering and couldn't move anywhere. Waited for 1 min or so, and restarted car.

- Greenback, TN, USA

Apr 252014

Edge

The vehicle in question started to die and there was no acceleration. I would restart the car and you couldn't really accelerate and eventually it would die again. No warning whatsoever. The vehicle was towed to the dealership and after three days they finally found that the camshaft broke and ruined the engine. The engine needs to be replaced. The car is only three years old and has 60,517 miles. I am 517 miles over the warranty and I would think in good faith, Ford would honor the warranty, but I was told it's in black and white. No one can explain to me how and what caused the camshaft to break. "it's a freak thing" is not a good answer and doesn't answer my question. The technician is baffled. Car has been very well maintained. I would also think that Ford would want to investigate and get to the bottom of this so it doesn't happen to anyone else. Ford needs to stand behind their product. Their advertising is misleading because my car is not reliable and not built tough! you wonder why people buy foreign car because they last!

- St. Charlles, IL, USA

Apr 022014

Edge 6-cyl

Accelerator goes limp during acceleration and "wrench" icon appears on dash. The engine continues to run with electrical power, pressing on accelerator has no effect. Car can be coasted to side of road. Stopping and re-starting the engine clears the issue and car will accelerate normally. This has occurred 5 times, at random, at various speeds (I.e. 50, 60, 30 mph). Car was taken into dealer after 2nd occurrence. Dealer could not find any error codes stored and said Ford procedure in this case was to "reset" computer. Issue continued to occur after getting vehicle back from dealer. On the 5th occurrence of the issue, owner ran a vehicle health report (vhr) (before stopping and re-starting engine) and the issue was captured in the report. Here is the issue documented in the vhr: The wrench icon may be illuminated in your dash or console or may appear in your message center. The vehicle diagnostics indicate a parameter that is out of normal range or that a component has failed. Systems within your vehicle need prompt service and/or inspection. Urgent powertrain malfunction / reduced power powertrain fault: Illuminates when an electric throttle control (etc), transmission, AWD/4X4 or fuel system fault has been detected. Contact your authorized dealer as soon as possible. Car was taken back to dealer on May 6, 2014. Dealer identified error codes and said vehicle had a defective throttle body component. Component will need to be replaced. Ford extended service plan does not cover cost, owner is responsible for component replacement ($560 estimated).

- Dayton, OH, USA

Oct 132013

Edge 6-cyl

Our 2011 AWD Ford Edge is having an issue that it randomly loses acceleration and a wrench warning will show up as well as turn on AWD at the same time RPM gauge will fluctuate. The car will go limp and hesitate until we stop to put in park and restart, then it will drive until the next time it occurs.

- Pawtucket, RI, USA

Feb 022014

Edge

Issue 1 of 2: on 3 separate occasions the engine has suddenly lost power, lost speed and the engine shook and ran extremely rough. There was a message with a wrench on the screen that said see owners manual, but no useful information was given. The warning message later went away with no evidence of a problem. 2 of the incidents occurred at highway speed and nearly cause severe multi-car accidents. Another incident was at a lower speed of about 45 mph and did not occur on a major highway. Issue 2 of 2: as a separate issue, there have been 2 occurrences of a very hash clunk from the transmission that felt as if the vehicle hit something. More information: The vehicle was purchased used at carmax with 213000 miles on it, purchase date: 01/28/2014.

- Leander, TX, USA

Dec 042013

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving down a busy road when all of a sudden the vehicle just cut off and the wrench light came up. I pulled over out of the way and it began to shake violently as I came closer to a stop, I then turned the key to off so it would stop shaking so violently. I tried restarting it ( somewhat struggled to restart but did come back on). The vehicle then was fine acted like nothing was wrong. Since then this has happen multiple times. I took it to Ford to diagnose the issue. My local dealership where I purchased the Edge said it was the electric throttle body. They then began to tell me that they have had to replace this on several vehicles and Ford has yet to recall it. This is very dangerous and this is the second issue I have had with this vehicle that effected the driving ability. The car has yet to be fixed due to waiting on Ford's reply to my complaint with this vehicle.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Dec 062013

Edge

Over the last month, my vehicle has had stalling issues while idling. All of the times it has occurred while my vehicle is idling at a red light and the vehicle sounds like the engine shuts off then jumps back on. However, one of the times, my vehicle completely stalled and I had to put my vehicle in park, turn it off then turn it back on. During this time the light had turned green and luckily no one was behind me. My local Ford dealer is fixing this issue, however, they are saying it is not covered under the Ford certified pre-owned comprehensive limited warranty or the Ford certified pre-owned powertrain limited warranty. I researched this issue and noticed other Ford and Lincoln models have had the same issue and are within the same year as my Ford Edge was manufactured, 2011.

- Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA

Dec 232013

Edge

I was just driving along, and all of the sudden the 2011 Ford Edge just stalled completely and would not move, so I was able to pull over to the side of the road when all of the sudden the whole care began to shake violently. The display showed a wrench and said to check owners manual, which according to Ford owners manual means power train problem. I was able to restart the vehicle and drive it and it acted like nothing happened, got to work and parked. Later that day drove it about a mile with no incident. Left work and just pulled out of the lot same thing happened, stalled and shook violently so I turned the car off. It started with no problem, went to pull back in the lot and it all happened again. I had the car towed to mathew curries Ford in nokomis, fl. Service tech says hes not able to replicate the problem so he doesn't know what is wrong with the vehicle. There seems to be alot of other complaints with the same problem. This is a very dangerous situation that can cause serious motor vehicle accident, and Ford needs to correct the issue since this seems to be an ongoing issue. I don't know if I will ever be able to feel safe driving this vehicle again. I just bought this vehicle and have not even made my first car payment, its in the shop already.. I am not happy!!

- Venice, FL, USA

Nov 142013

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the power train warning light illuminated as the vehicle began to independently decelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the throttle body would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Laurel, DE, USA

Nov 182013

Edge 6-cyl

While traveling at approximately 30 miles per hour, the car suddenly stalled, although it would move at a very slow speed at a rough idle, maybe 1 mile per hour, no matter how hard the accelerator was depressed. Simultaneously, a yellow wrench warning light appeared. I pulled into a parking lot and let the engine run, it remained running rough at a very slow speed. I continued for about a minute, then shut the engine off. After restart, the car ran normally with no warning indicators. I took the car to a Ford dealer where they could not reproduce the problem, and was told that because I shut the car off, any error codes were cleared. They could also not perform a repair if they did not know the cause, although they said it is probably the throttle body. Without error codes, there was nothing they could do. This is a safety problem, I was fortunate to not be on the highway going 60 miles per hour.

- Kirkwood, MO, USA

Nov 102013

Edge

When driving wrench symbol comes on dash. Car losses power.when press on gas car does not move. RPM gauge goes crazy (up and down ).have to pull over.shut car off.restart engine. Drive car until it losses power again without warning. Very dangerous. Someone is going to die this problem needs to be look at.it is going to happen in an intersection, on a turn, on railroad tracks.only the car knows when it is going to lose power.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Oct 132013

Edge 6-cyl

Our 2011 AWD Ford Edge is having an issue that it randomly loses acceleration while driving and a wrench warning will then show up as well as AWD off warning sign, at the same time RPM gauge will fluctuate. The car will go limp and hesitate until it's in a safe area to stop then put in park and restart, then it will drive normal until the next the occurrence. Which you will never know when. This has happen 3 times within the last week. We have found that it's become a safety concern and a life threatening issue that it randomly becomes unresponsive while on the road. Ford dealer state's that there's nothing wrong and that theirs no codes on the vehicle. Since my families lives are at risk, without any attempt to repair I've done some research myself. It's seems more than obvious that there's an issue after reviewing just a few of thousands among thousands of complaints regarding the same issue that I'm having with my 2011 Ford Edge. This issue has not only become a safety issue it has also become an inconvenience to my spouse and family. I ask that you Ford service team makes every attempt to not put anyone's life at risk. Without any attempt their will be no relief or reassurance that I or my family can feel safe in this vehicle.

- Pawtucket, RI, USA

Oct 172013

Edge

Driving down the road, the vehicle suddenly lost power and the gas pedal became unresponsive. "see manual" warning light with a wrench icon came on. Pulled car over, and restarted the vehicle at which time the car drove normally. Took it to local dealership, where they were unable to pull the error code. Continued driving vehicle and error occurred intermittently. Today, occurred twice on my drive in to work (5 miles), the second time the "check engine" light came on. Took vehicle to autozone, they pulled a P2111 code. Having throttle body serviced tomorrow at local repair shop. The last time this happened today was in an intersection - very nearly caused an accident. This throttle body failure seems to be a common issue. I find it very curious that there has not been a recall yet as this is clearly a widespread issue and it is clearly a safety issue.

- Russellville, AR, USA

Sep 142013

Edge 6-cyl

While driving the all wheel drive shuts down and you have no power. I shut the engine off and re-start. It worked for about 100 yards and did it again. It did this 7 times in less than 10 miles. It did not do it again for about 10 days. Then it did it 5 times in less than 2 miles. It happens at various speeds. Both in manual and automatic. This past weekend it happened another 3 times while out of town on a MINIvacation.

- Norton Shores, MI, USA

Oct 092013

Edge

While making a turn the vehicle suddenly stalled out without warning, luckily the car coming towards me slowed in time and I was able to coast to the middle lane. Check engine light appeared and also a wrench symbol. After a few minutes I restarted the car and it did turn on, I was driving without issues, when going 45 mph the vehicle shook and again stalled out. Having my 1 year old son in the car was very frightening, I was terrified I would be hit by another vehicle as the Edge suddenly turns off with no warning. Being we live in a somewhat rural area and having my son, I was determined to make it home, which thank goodness I did safely, unfortunately after stalling out 2-3 more times. My husband took the Edge to the dealership today which they claim it is the throttle body, and since we do not have the extended warranty is $800. After seeing these other posts it seems that there should be a Ford recall. Thankfully no one was hurt, but it can lead to a fatality if the Edge stalls on the freeway or busy road, its very scary. I purchased a new car to feel safe and to have my son safe, I feel far from and I want nothing but to get rid of this vehicle. Something needs to be done. VIN unavailable as my car is still at the dealership.

- Tucson, AZ, USA