2011 Ford Edge drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 8 of 8)

May 142012

Edge 6-cyl

Was driving in morning rush hour traffic going about 50mph on a highway. Car lost all acceleration and went "limp" without any notice. Wrench light came on. Was able to get car to side of road before it completely stopped. It was very frightening as cars were close behind me and could have easily rear-ended me. Husband came to the scene and attempted to restart car and drive it. Same thing happened again. Had car towed to local shop owned by Ford dealer. They concluded that we had carbon build up in the fuel system that was causing the problem. They cleaned out the "gunk" and charged us $350. Four days later the same thing happened again. This time I had both of my children in the car and my dog. Car lost all acceleration in the middle of 5pm traffic! wrench light came on again. Was able to pull over in shopping center before it completely died. Towed it back to dealer. This time they said they could not duplicate problem, but recalibrated it (whatever "it" is). I'm terrified to drive this car again for fear that it will happen when I'm going 65mph on a major highway! it's only a matter of time before it happens again. Ford needs to take responsibility and deal with this problem. From what I read, it has happened to many of their models and has typically involved the throttle body.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Apr 052011

Edge 6-cyl

After buying my 2011 Ford Edge from carmax and driving it for 35 days, my car started to have transmission problems. It was clanking, slow accelerating, vibrating, when you would stop it wouldn't proceed when gas applied until it would loudly thump and lurch forward. Had it towed to dealer and they diagnosed it needed the part (at4Z7251A). The problem is there are only 2 (at4Z7251A) in the whole United States! those are on hold for customers or they appear in inventory on computer but they are no where to be found. It also appears that this part has been on back order for a very very very long time.I just can't believe that I am the only one with this problem since this part is used for at least 5 different type Ford cars. My car has been at the dealer for a month waiting for the part. After reading other owner problems similar to mine there needs to be something done by the Ford corporation. This is unacceptable to have to wait for a part with no eta.

- Big Bear City, CA, USA

Apr 042012

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that after paking on an incline and releasing the brake pedal, the vehicle rolled backward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 26,000. The VIN was unknown. Updated 05/24/12

- Debary, FL, USA

Jun 012011

Edge 6-cyl

Twice after backing up and shifting the car from reverse to drive, the car stalled/shut off. The first time it occurred after backing onto a busy street. While pushing on the gas with no forward movement, I saw a message displayed in the dash that the car must be in park to start. I was extremely lucky that in that instance I had enough time to start the vehicle and move prior to traffic reaching me as it occurred on a busy street. The approximate date for the first occurrence was in June of 2011. The second was on July 5, 2011, with approximately 2,450 miles. On November 3, 2011, and November 29, 2011, my cars battery died resulting in needing to call Ford roadside assistance to tow it to the dealer. Prior to that, I twice had a battery saver message displayed after I shut off my car, although everything was off. While at the dealer the second time it happened, the battery died for the third time after approximately 8 hours. The battery test always reported that the battery was okay. After a week at the shop they were still unable to determine the cause. Two times my vehicle would not recognize that I had the key in my possession within the vehicle and therefore would not start. I do not know if all of these issues are possibly interconnected with the computer system.

- Lebanon, PA, USA