2011 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 21 of 24)

Apr 212014

Edge 6-cyl

The door ajar sensor ceases to function and indicate whether the door is open or closed, leaving it in the "ajar" state. By having it in this state, the vehicles locks do not automatically engage while driving and also the battery drains while the car is not in use.

- Chantilly, VA, USA

Jan 102012

The driver's door ajar sensor stays on and you will have to open and shut the door several times before it goes out and sometimes that doesn't work. My first incident was when my car was less than a year old (early 2012) and I took it back to the dealer and it was suppose to be replaced. Then in March of 2014, the same thing happened again. So when I went in for an oil change I explained the problem and they said that they would clean it and go from there. Just 2 short weeks later it started happening once again so this time I have returned the car and they want to charge me a $100 deductible to do the work. I asked why because I have extended warranty and he explained that certain items are covered but with a deductible fee. This problem should be considered a recall of the car because it seems to be something that's going to be a recurring issue with no fault of the consumer.

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 042014

Edge 6-cyl

The door latch sensor malfunctions causing the instrument panel to announce that the door is ajar even though all four doors are locked correctly. If you cannot make the message go away by reopening and shutting the door, then the doors will not lock once the vehicle is in motion and the dome lights will remain illuminated. Also, the biggest danger is that the latch can malfunction while driving causing the doors locks to unlock while driving at high rates of speed. This is concerning given that my son rides in the back seat.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Sep 032013

The door ajar light stays on and interior door locks will not lock. This is not safe when the vehicle is in motion. Ford needs to issue a recall. I've contacted Ford and they have not provided a response. I have three children under 9 and the doors not locking automatically is a significant safety risk and it has been a know issue for over 4 years and Ford has even issued a service bulletin regarding the problem.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Feb 242014

- Moore, OK, USA

Aug 142013

Edge 6-cyl

The door ajar light has been coming off and on even when the door is shut. Sometimes 5-10 closings will shut the door ajar light off. Most of the time my door ajar light stays on. Which keeps my interior lights on at nighttime. Also not sure my car locks completely as the car honks twice quickly when I try to lock using the wireless locking device. Very frustrating, and for the money they charge for Ford cars, don't think this should be a problem. Have searched the internet and found out this is a common problem that can cost up to $300 at dealerships to fix, and cheapest I have found is $85 to buy part from Ford and try to fix it myself.

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Mar 312014

Edge 6-cyl

Driver's door ajar sensor was intermittent then went completely out. Interior light stays on draining battery when parked. Safety concern with door false alert masking actual door not shut condition. Additional safety concern with night driving and forced interior light reducing visibility and risk to pedestrians. Ford service will only lubricate sensor at customers expense to satisfy tsb-14-0011 causing no confidence in repair and possible re-occurrence of safety issue. This should be a recall and replacement of the faulty sensing unit and/or door latch assembly.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Mar 102014

Edge 6-cyl

Having an issue with the drivers door sensor. Door sensor still shows the door to be ajar even after several attempts to close. Sensor picks up that the door is closed about 1/3rd to 1/2 the time you attempt to close. Sensor not functioning properly will allow a warning light in the dashboard to stay on until recognized. The main problem is it keeps the dome light illuminated until you continue to close and the sensor picks up. I have an issue with the sensor coming on and showing ajar while driving. With the dome light coming on, I'm not to happy about not being able to drive at night. Found through chat rooms and forums that several other complaints pertaining to this issue, with no fix from Ford. Ford dealer service reps have known it is a problem, but just say to call Ford to see if the problem can be covered. Ford district rep., when told of the problem was asked why there is not a recall for this issue. I was told that Ford does not issue the recall, it needs to come from NHTSA. So hopefully by having to file a complaint to receive some action will show more numbers as to this faulty safety sensor. The other issue would be if the part replaced is going to be the same part number that people are having trouble with. I would be just waiting a few more years for the same issue to arise. Or have they changed the part to rectify the problem. That remains to be seen as I have no alternative but to have the part replaced at $394. Although I am 6000 miles under warranty, I am 2 1/2 months past the 3 years.

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

May 012013

Door ajar light will not go off. Car thinks drivers door is open, which makes it unable to lock and lights stay on in vehicle. I have already had to replace the battery once due to this.

- Oneida, NY, USA

Nov 252013

Edge 6-cyl

Door ajar indicator stays on for driver side door which will not lock. Doors cannot be locked while driving, interior lights stay on because of door ajar indicator which in turn drains battery. Unsafe for doors not being able to be locked and lights continue to illuminate while vehicle is off and parked.

- Troy, VA, USA

Mar 182014

The "driver door ajar" warning remains lit even when my door is completely closed. I either have to slam my door closed or open/close my door multiple times for the light to turn off. This week, the light has started coming on while my car is in motion, which freaks me out. Due to the light coming back on even after it initially goes off, my dome light is staying on and running my car battery down. I needed a jump start this week due to my battery being dead. Thank you.

- Burkeville, TX, USA

Aug 232013

Problem: Door ajar sensor my Ford Edge door ajar light comes on and will not turn off no matter how many times I attempt to shut the door. With this light on the doors will not lock and the interior lights do not turn off for a period of 10-15 minutes. My daughter and I drive in my Edge everyday, with the doors not locking I find that this can be a very dangerous hazard. Today we were driving thru the mall parking lot and a stranger approached my Edge as if he were going to attempt to open the passenger door. At the time the door ajar light was on and all doors were unlocked, as the vehicle will not allow you to lock the doors with this light on. Lord forbid he would have opened that passenger door and harmed my daughter. Does it take a tragedy to happen before the manufacturer decides to deem this problem a legitimate recall..... I have read a tremendous about of complaints regarding this problem, how can this be transformed into a recall issue" what does it take to get Ford or the safety board to resolve this?" signed: A caring parent

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Apr 012014

Edge 6-cyl

The drivers side front door sensor does not work. The door is closed but it still shows on the dash door ajar. This does not let the doors lock while driving. I feel that this is very unsafe while driving also unsafe for my family to drive in certain areas of the city. I don't even know if the airbags will work.

- Orchard Park, NY, USA

Apr 012014

Edge 6-cyl

I've been having issues with the door sensors. I closed the door and the door ajar alarm comes up. I have to slang the door really hard and a few times until the sensors picks it up. When driving I can not locked the doors because the car thinks the doors are ajar. I looked it online and many Ford Edge's owners had the same issues, they should call for a recall since this is safety problem.

- New Jersey, NJ, USA

Feb 112014

Driver door ajar indicator is illuminated when door is shut. Door must be closed repeatedly to get the ajar light to go off.

- Eastvale, CA, USA

Mar 252014

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled twice with the illumination of the check engine warning light. The contact was able to restart the vehicle both times. Additionally, the vehicle would shake violently and lose power without warning. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- Perkasie, PA, USA

Nov 142012

Edge 6-cyl

The drivers door indication is that it is "ajar". the door is fully closed, but electrically the switch indicates that the door is ajar causing the doors to remain unlocked no matter what you do. The interior lights remain on at low speeds making it difficult to see out of the vehicle at night. And due to the doors being unlocked, the rear doors can be opened by children while the vehicle is in motion. The doors are not locked making it easy for someone to approach and open your doors. This situation is extremely concerning. My vehicle was fixed once at 42K miles and is now in need of repair again. In addition to this being a safety issue it is also not covered by the manufacturer and is over $300 per repair.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Mar 272014

Edge 6-cyl

Door latch assembly- door ajar wont go away, door latch assembly has to be replaced.

- Cedar Springs, MI, USA

Aug 202013

Edge 6-cyl

"door ajar" warning light comes on, but door is securely/properly closed. This is not only a dysfunctional nuisance, it's a hazard at night. The interior lights will fade off when you are driving forward, that's easy enough to deal with......but if you are backing up they stay on! you can't see other objects/cars/lights. The interior lights also stay lit if you are sitting in the parked vehicle. You can't leave the key in the ignition either because when you have this "door ajar" problem the warning bell "dings" until you either start the car, or pull your key out. Forget enjoying listening to the entertainment system, or programming destinations into the navigation system. Just start getting used to that well lit, ding, ding, ding!

- Valley Center, KS, USA

Mar 112014

Edge 6-cyl

I parked the car and closed all doors and used the remote to lock the doors when I received the two beeps to indicate a door was open. Additionally the interior lights would not go off. I checked all doors which was closed only to see in the dash the door ajar sign. The door ajar light now will not off off nor will my interior lights which is draining my battery. Due to this the doors will not lock which leave my vehicle vulnerable to theft and while driving my child susceptible to danger.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA