2011 Ford Edge engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Oct 132014

Edge 6-cyl

During driving my 2011 Ford Edge the engine stalled without warning. The stall occurred at an approximate driving speed of 30 mph in the middle of the roadway. A light depicting a wrench shown on the instrument cluster display along with a message to consult manual. At the time this happened, I turned off the car and restarted it to see if I could get it going again before I got hit by a car. The car did start and then drove normally. I looked in the manual and found the wrench icon to indicate a powertrain defect. Since this was a driving hazard, I had it towed to the dealer. The onboard computer was accessed and the code C-P2111 was diagnosed. I was told that this was a defective throttle body and that it would be replaced. A new part was installed and I have driven the car approximately 250 miles and it so far has not repeated the same stalling. It does not, however, maintain consistent rpms while idling. A couple of times they dipped down low enough that I thought the car was going to die at a traffic light. I took it back to the dealer and they said they could find nothing wrong. I disagree--I didn't have this problem prior to the installation of the throttle body. I am making this complaint because this issue is a severe problem that could cause someone to lose their life if the car stalled on the freeway. When it stalls, the car doesn't slowly coast along, it abruptly stops. This may be the same part that is in other Ford vehicles for which a recall has been made, but so far there has been no bulletin on the Ford Edge for the throttle body defect.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 102014

Edge 6-cyl

Car almost shuts down, you can drive it at 1 mph or restart & it works fine. Engine light does come on. Had it towed to dealership & they couldn't find anything wrong. We are both handicap, it's are only car & shuts off daily. Dealership can not do anything unless we bring it, take a mechanic with us & it happens while he is in the car!!

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Oct 222014

Edge 6-cyl

Engine stall, low oil pressure light comes on and loose steering control and brakes.....very unsafe and dangerous!! I am very unsatisfied with Ford right now. I have several issues with this vehicle right now and am not happy!!!!

- Auburn, IN, USA

Oct 102014

Edge 6-cyl

While driving through an intersection, vehicles stalled. "AWD fail" light exhibited. Turned off ignition and restarted. Second event, same circumstances, again had to coast to side of intersection to restart. Same indications. Took to dealership and diagnosed as throttle body failure. Had to be replaced. Concerns: (1) safety (2) throttle body should not be failing with this few miles (3) Ford forum indicates that this is a recurring issue with other Ford Edge vehicles. But there has been no recall or extended warranty.

- Viera, FL, USA

Aug 082014

Edge 6-cyl

The car lost power. When I turned it off and turned it back on, it started and ran fine. It happened again and I took it to the local Ford dealership. The quick service technician said it sounded like the throttle body. It has happened a couple of other times sporadically. It happened 4 times this past Saturday. I took it to the dealership and just found out it was the throttle body, which will be replaced for $622.59. My car is no longer under warranty and there are no recalls for this that the dealership can find. Though repair pal indicates there was a recall (https://repairpal.com/Ford-Edge-recall-10V659000) and the North Carolina consumer council has filed a petition for an investigation into this matter. Please investigate this as it is extremely dangerous for your car to just completely shut down on you while you are driving. Fortunately, no one has been hurt any of the times this has happened to me. Had I been on the interstate, I am not sure I could say the same.

- Anniston, AL, USA

Aug 022014

Edge 6-cyl

Driving on major highway, 55 mph, all of a sudden the car jerks, slows down and I cannot control the acceleration. I have to quickly pull over onto grassy area out of the way of traffic. The AWD signal came on and a wrench signal. I quickly turned car off and restarted and it was fine. This happened over a month ago and did not happen again until yesterday and then again this morning. All 3 times my 2 year old has been with me and I have been on a major highway. This could have had dire consequences. The car slows down so quickly that if anyone was closely behind me they certainly would have rear-ended me. Looking online this seems to be quite the issue, yet there has been no recall?? this is unacceptable!

- Laurel, DE, USA

Sep 182014

Edge 6-cyl

While merging onto freeway suddenly lost ability to accelerate. Wrench icon came on dash display. Was able to pull over to the side of the freeway. Turned car off, turned back on and was able to drive the car normally again. I am hoping there is a fix for this problem as it was very dangerous.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Sep 082014

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving 25 miles per hour on a major roadway and for no reason the car lost acceleration. The engine began to shake and gasp. After I lost power to the engine I could only drive one mile an hour to try to get off the road in heavy traffic. I did not get in an accident but it could have easily happened. A yellow warning wrench icon appeared. I turned off the car. I restarted the car and the problem resolved. I took it to a repair shop and they cleaned the throttle body because no error codes were found and it was dirty. It happened again one week later when I was traveling 50 miles per hour. I tried to drive to a dealership to keep the wrench icon on but the car stalled. I restarted and the problem resolved but I continued to a Ford dealership. Once again there was no code. I have researched this on the internet and it is happening to others as well. This is very dangerous and I am lucky it did not cause an accident. This should be recalled and repaired by Ford.

- Salisbury, MD, USA

Aug 062012

Edge 6-cyl

Was at a light making a left hand turn when all of a sudden seemed to have lost power. Engine was on but stepped on gas and vehicle would not go. Almost got hit by on coming car. This happened a couple of times but has not done it in a while. Very dangerous!

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Sep 092014

Edge

I began to accelerate at a intersection when my vehicle suddenly and without warning lost power to the wheels. The engine remained on but began to sputter. A yellow wrench appeared on the dashboard saying that the AWD had turned off. I turned the engine off and it restarted with some difficulty. A few days later the same issue occurred again but now wont run more than a few hundred yards without recurring.

- Riverside, RI, USA

Aug 212014

Edge 6-cyl

I had just purchased my 2011 Ford Edge sel driving it for the first time after driving it home. I was driving on a two lane hwy when I lost power, a warning came up on the dash AWD off with the little tool beside it. I had to coast off to the side of the road and thankfully there was a place to pull over. I waited a few minutes then restarted the car and it drove fine until 1 week later while I was driving on the interstate it did the exact same thing, the car shut down again. I did make it to the side of the road this time it did not want to start so I waited alittle longer and tried again and it did start back up. I pulled out and less than 1/2 mile down the road it shut down again. I managed to get it to the side of the road turned everything off restarted it again. All of this happened at night with just me and my son, we were scared to death. I did make it home that night. I called the dealership where I purchased the car and was told that they couldn't see me until 1 week and 2 days later. I took it to the dealerships service dept today and was told that they can't help me with my car since it is a Ford and they are a Chevy dealer and I need to take it to their Ford dealership. I should have been told this before I drove an unsafe car 45 minuted down the road. After complaining to the salesman who sold me the car, they are going to take it to the Ford service dept for me (its 3hrs from my house) but that is not until next week. I am stuck with an unsafe car to drive that I just purchased and haven't even made the first payment.

- Rock Cave, WV, USA

Aug 262014

Edge

When driving my Ford Edge down the highway, it suddenly loses power and have to pull off road. Has happened 3X so took to dealership and they want $900 to fix! really can't believe a throttle body goes out after 3 years.

- Statham, GA, USA

Sep 052014

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 20 mph, the service engine indicator illuminated and the vehicle suddenly shook and vibrated violently. The vehicle operated normally once it was turned off and restarted. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 65,600.

- Swansea, IL, USA

Sep 042014

Edge

Was driving in busy residential area and the car started to shudder and eventually lost all power to the engine and the dashboard displayed a wrench symbol. It seemed like it was going to stall. I was able to get to the side of the road. I then turned the engine off and upon restarting was able to drive the short distance to the dealer. The dealer performed a PCM reprogram. Per the diagnostic notes, after getting a code of P260F they reprogrammed the car to the latest calibration, test drove it (approx 9 miles) and no sign of the problem. I picked the car up on Friday, Sept 5. today, Sept 7, 2014, just 2 days after "fixing" the problem, the exact same thing happened. Similar speed, car started to shake and unresponsive to accelerator. Fortunately, I was at nearly the same location so I was able to get to the side of the road without incident. After researching the issue, this appears to a pretty common problem in the Ford Edge owner community. However, if this issue were to happen while driving on a freeway, the outcome might be very different. Hoping someone can help with this issue. I no longer feel safe driving this car.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Aug 152014

Edge 6-cyl

While driving my 2011 Ford Edge with 59K miles the engine cut out on me. After pulling to the shoulder and shutting off the car it restarted after a few minutes. This happened on 3 different occasions before I was able to take it to the dealer. After two days they were able to tell me it was a faulty throttle body and not covered under the warranty. How can there be recalls for other Ford models with the same problem but not for the Edge? ridiculous and completely unsafe!!!!

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jul 272014

Edge 6-cyl

I am a 55 year old woman and July 27, 2014 headed for St. Louis to the airport. About 35 minutes into my trip, on a very rural Missouri highway, my car had no power accelerating and the "wrench light" came on. Luckily, a church parking lot was near, so I coasted there and shut off the car. I started it, it was running ok and the light went off. I made the rest of my trip. When I got back home, I left the next day on August 6th to head to Aurora, mo to help my daughter. About 1 1/2 hours into my trip, the car did exactly the same thing. No power, wrench light on. I was so nervous since I was on interstate 44 with heavy traffic. I got off the interstate and restarted the car and made it to Aurora. I took my car to the Ford dealer there. They checked it and stated no codes came up so they couldn't do anything. I called hutcheson Ford in St. James (where I purchased Edge) and they wanted me to bring it in. July 28th, I took it to St. James with the same results. No codes, no help. I came home and had a local mechanic drive it. He did and said there was something wrong & to check the internet for common problems. I couldn't believe the number of people that had the same problem on their 2011 Edge and stated it was throttle body. I drive a lot by myself on roads with no shoulder so I had to have it taken care of. Today I just picked up the Edge with a new throttle body of $710.

- Viburnum, MO, USA

Sep 102013

Edge

Traveling down road. Car jumps and see manual comes on. Idles funny and will go no further until you shut it off and back on. Took it to dealer. Say they had no idea. Done it 10 times yesterday in 6 miles. Am fed up. Going to end up in a wreck!!

- Crown City, OH, USA

Jun 022014

Edge 6-cyl

This is my 2nd complaint about this same defect as it has occurred 2 additional times (3 total incidents). The 1st incident occurred on 4/11. The 2nd incident occurred on 6/2 when my wife was turning right from an intersection. At approximately 20mph she lost the ability to accelerate and had to quickly change lanes and coast to the side of the road while avoiding traffic. She put the car in park and turned the vehicle off. Once she turned the car back on, the car operated normally. The 3rd incident occurred on 6/3. my wife accelerated from a red light into an intersection and lost the ability to accelerate. She was stuck in the middle of a busy intersection with cars swerving around her. She again stopped her car from coasting, put it in park, and turned the car off. She restarted the car and it operated normally. I deemed her car too dangerous to drive and would not allow her to drive until repaired. I searched the internet and found the Ford escape, Fusion, mariner, and Milan had the exact same problem the Edges are having. Those owners received an extended warranty for a defective throttle body. Reference customer service program (csp) 13N03 and NHTSA action # PE13003. I took her car to the dealership and they could not find any error codes nor repeat the problem. He said he could not repair anything without this information. I mentioned csp 13N03 and he said he was aware of it but it didn't apply to the Edge. Since the problems were exactly the same, I asked if replacing the throttle body would fix the problem. He hesitated but after some prodding he said it would most likely fix the problem but he couldn't officially say so. I had them replace the throttle body on 6/6 ($698.06) and my wife has had zero problems as of 8/13, further proving it's the same defect. I hope Ford steps up as they did with the other Ford models and corrects this dangerous safety hazard.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Aug 052014

Edge 6-cyl

When driving on a 2 lane mountain road at 60, engine fully warmed up (running for 20+ minutes, ambient temperature approx 85 F) the throttle become unresponsive and the engine RPM dropped to approximately 600 RPM based on the dash tachometer. When this happened a yellow wrench dialog was displayed on the digital dash with no text other than "ok". all controls other than the throttle seemed to function correctly. We were going downhill when this happened and were able to coast until we found a suitable place to pull over. Once we pulled over we noticed the engine was running rough and sputtering. We turned the engine off and then back on and the issue persisted (rough idling and no throttle control). Opened hood and pulled engine cover to check for any visible issues, none found. When we got back into the car the throttle was functioning properly and the idle was smooth with no sputtering. We finished the rest of the drive without incident and when we got back to the house hooked up the obdii reader and no fault codes were stored. We took the Edge in to the nearest Ford dealer (lawley's team Ford in silver city, nm) the next morning and they found no fault codes stored in any module and charged us $122.25 for the diagnostics even though the car is still covered under the factory power train warranty. They said they didn't know what caused the issue but said it may have been a "random glitch" or "bad fuel". thankfully, this happened on a lightly traveled road and we were heading downhill and able to coast and find a place to pull off the road. If this were a busy road or we were not able to pull completely off the road this could have been a much more serious issue. We have only owned the vehicle for less than a month so we can't say whether it has happened before that. It has not occurred in the 1000+ miles we have put on the car since it occurred.

- Douglass, KS, USA

Jul 222014

Edge

My wife was driving home from work during rush hour and twice on the same trip the engine shuttered then completely shut down. The first time, luckily, she was able to coast across four lanes of traffic to the shoulder because this happened where two interstates merge and the is not a shoulder on the left. We took the car to the dealership and they replaced the throttle body. The dealer stated it was a known problem and has been recalled on other models but not the Edge. I called Ford customer service and I got the impression they did not care about the issue or the safety of the people driving their vehicles. Because of this we traded our vehicle at a loss within a week of spending $700 to replace the throttle body.

- Mount Juliet, TN, USA