2011 Ford Edge engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Jun 022014

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving when I lost acceleration. A wrench light came up on my screen. Thankfully my brakes still worked and I was able to coast to a stop, almost getting rear ended by a semi, but then the whole motor started shaking and sputtering. I put my vehicle in park and turned it off. When I went to turn it back on it hesitated for a minute, but then started. This didn't happen again until a few weeks later while on the highway going 60mph! I've had it happen multiple times since then and almost being hit a few other times. I've noticed that I don't have as much power when accelerating even when the wrench doesn't come up. Today it happened twice within a couple of minutes and the check engine light came on this time. I don't understand why they won't have a recall when so many people have an issue! I've almost been hit multiple times when this occurs and I would rather not have me or my child hurt from a malfunction that needs to be fixed!

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jun 142014

Edge 6-cyl

While driving down a 4-lane expressway, my 2011 Ford Edge accelerator pedal stopped responding. The car did not lose all power, the accelerator just went dead. The car was idling very roughly, but when I pressed on the accelerator pedal nothing happened. There was no shoulder on the road so I had to stop in the middle of the road! I am so lucky that no one rear-ended me before I was able to maneuver off the road. I turned off the car and waited a minute or two and turned the car back on. The accelerator was working so I headed home. The car went "limp" two more times before I arrived home a couple of miles down the road. The next day my husband followed me to the dealership with his emergency flashers on. My Edge went "limp" twice on the way to the dealership. The mechanic was familiar with the problem and diagnosed a bad throttle body. It was replaced for about $650 and the car runs fine now. This problem is common and needs to be addressed before someone is killed! I thank my lucky stars that this didn't happen on a busy interstate.

- Gilroy, CA, USA

Jul 222014

Edge 6-cyl

Coming off of lakeshore drive with my 4 month old son in the back car seat and the truck just goes limp with no power. It drove really slow and so I pulled off to the side turned off the truck restarted and seemed fine. There were cars coming up behind me thank goodness no accident. Made it to my sons doctor appointment and quickly called the dealership and the service guy said he has heard nothing with the Ford Edge and doesn't know what the wrench meant. He said I need to bring it in and I will be charged $125 just to look at it. I asked if it was safe to drive back with my son and he just said I don't know. So I asked why would the handbook say to contact the dealership immediately? apparently this seems to be an issue with this and needs to be fixed. I have two small children and do not want something serious to happen for something that is obviously a defect!

- Chicago , IL, USA

Oct 222013

Edge

While on an interstate highway going 65 mph. The car went limp-no power. Wrench symbol and AWD lights come on. After nearly getting rear ended trying to get to the berm, shut car off restarted it and it ran fine. Took car to dealer where they diagnosed it as a computer issue. On 7-12-14 while on interstate going 70 mph., exact same thing happened. On 7-13-14, 7-16-14, 7-20-14 and 7-21-14 at speeds between 25 and 35 mph. This happened a total of 8 separate times. Took car to Ford dealer where they diagnosed it as replace throttle body and reprogram computer for total cost of $788. Someone is going to die on a highway or making a left hand turn at an intersection if this problem is not properly addressed.

- Medina, OH, USA

Jul 092014

Edge 6-cyl

Vehicle stalls while driving it, has happened 5 times in the last 6 months, Ford service can not diagnose.

- Earlville, NY, USA

Jul 122014

Edge 6-cyl

In the middle of driving normally the engine slows RPM almost to a stall then would not do any thing when the gas pedal was pressed. After pulling over I shut off the car and turned it back on and it drove fine for about 20 miles. Then while slowing down to a redlight it did the same thing. So I turned it off and on and it was fine again. I drove it home and now its sitting in the driveway. After looking online it seems that it is probably the throttle body. Im going to replace that and see what happens.

- Berlin, NJ, USA

Jun 202014

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The dealer stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 44,200.

- Beaver Creek, OH, USA

Jun 202014

Edge

While driving on the expressway, I lost power, a wrench light came on the dash and the engine chugged. I pulled off at the closest exit, fearing the car would totally stop.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 142014

Edge

Driving 43mph, my vehicle stalled while driving. The AWD off and wrench icon indicators appeared on the dashboard. I had to swerve onto the median to avoid being rear-ended. This happened again on June 16, 17, 24 & 25. This has happened at varying speeds, faster and slower than the first incident. It ended up being the throttle body, and conveniently just 4000 miles past the warranty expiration. I was told by two separate mechanics that this is something they've seen many times, and if it were one of two other Ford models, it would be covered under the extended warranty plan by Ford. It is the same part in all vehicles, but only covered in certain models" this faulty part is putting people's lives at risk, or at minimum putting them in unnecessary danger of an accident and resulting financial damages that follow. If it's a known issue with the part, why is this allowed to continue? and why are only certain models covered" $600 later and I don't trust that my problem is solved.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Apr 112014

Edge

My wife was driving her 2011 Ford Edge on the highway at 60 mph with me and another passenger when all of a sudden the car began to decelerate very quickly. My wife shouted that the vehicle would not respond when she applied the accelerator pedal. We were in full traffic as cars sped beside us and came up quickly behind us slamming on their brakes to avoid hitting us. I turned on the hazard lights and told her to try to coast over to the shoulder because the vehicle would still not respond. She had to cut off several other vehicles to make it over to the shoulder but luckily no accident occurred. When we stopped, she again tried to apply the accelerator but still no response. She put the car in park and turned off the vehicle. She waited a few seconds and started the car and put it back in drive. The car finally responded and we were able to make it home without further incident. This was a very, very scary and dangerous situation. This car is well maintained and only had 51,000 miles. When this was happening, it reminded me of the Toyota incidents but instead of accelerating uncontrollably on the highway, we decelerated uncontrollably. I hope Ford looks into this situation more closely.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

May 222014

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled after the AWD failure light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician was unable diagnosed the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 45,000 and the current mileage was 46,290.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

May 132014

Edge

During driving, the engine stopped and car would not accelerate, there was a complete loss of power. There was no warning, and the "yellow wrench" light came on, and car would not go. This was in the middle of the road and could not get off of the road. It happened so quickly, there was no time to react to try to pull over. Lost steering and couldn't move anywhere. Waited for 1 min or so, and restarted car.

- Greenback, TN, USA

Mar 232014

Edge 6-cyl

April 3- fifteen mins from home (returning from a vacation to gatlinburg, tn), "black screen of death" occurred. Took immediately to dealership. Waited 40 mins while diagnostic run and told to bring back Monday, April 7, as apim was discovered to be bad. Would be replaced Monday. April 7- returned to dealership for apim to be replaced and told radio was going to be checked; not apim replaced. Argued with staff there, as service manager had already run diagnostic to determine apim needed. Had to wait another three days for apim to come in to dealership. Returned April 10 for apim replacement. May 3- leaving for a 12 hour round trip to athens, ga to bring son home from college..."black screen of death" occurred 6X before getting an hour from home. Occurred 4-5X more on way back from athens, ga. This happened on a Saturday so had to call dealership Monday. Told to bring in May 8. May 8- told issue could not be duplicated. Discovered through discussion w/ service personnel that my phone had never been connected w/ sync when these problems have occurred; techs had been diagnosing in a different direction. Appears that radio is true issue. Personnel said they would check w/ service manager about getting radio replaced. May 12- called and told that Ford has said that until issue can be duplicated, nothing will be done to fix my car. If I leave car for undetermined time frame, allow to be driven long distances (adding miles to car), maybe problem can be duplicated. No rental allowed bc issue not covered under warranty. This is my only vehicle. Bought $40,000 car for navigation system and cannot use properly bc it keeps going out on long trips.

- Saint Marys, GA, USA

Jun 032013

Edge 6-cyl

Vehicle inadvertently goes into limp mode for no apparent reason. All service has been performed as recommended. It has happened on the interstate, downtown traffic and pulling into streets with on coming traffic. Extremely dangerous in heavy traffic situations. I have al most been hit several times. It will go for several hundred miles with no problem, then it will begin stalling and do it multiple times within 1/4 mile of each other.

- Leesburg, FL, USA

Apr 122014

Edge 6-cyl

Driving on interstate highway at a speed of 55+ miles per hour and suddenly the engine just stalled and there is no power. There is (wrench) warning indicator light and a message see manual was able to steer off to the side of the road. Once the engines is turned off and wait a minute or two you can restart and everything seems ok. It will go days before it happens again. Took the car to local Ford dealer and they claim they cannot reproduce problem, so will not fix what they cannot reproduce.

- Peachtree Corners, GA, USA

Oct 132013

Edge 6-cyl

Our 2011 AWD Ford Edge is having an issue that it randomly loses acceleration and a wrench warning will show up as well as turn on AWD at the same time RPM gauge will fluctuate. The car will go limp and hesitate until we stop to put in park and restart, then it will drive until the next time it occurs.

- Pawtucket, RI, USA

Mar 252014

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled twice with the illumination of the check engine warning light. The contact was able to restart the vehicle both times. Additionally, the vehicle would shake violently and lose power without warning. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- Perkasie, PA, USA

Feb 182014

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the oil warning light illuminated as the engine stalled. The failure caused another vehicle to crash into the passenger's side of the contact's vehicle. The contact did not sustain any injuries. A police report was filed of the incident. The vehicle was able to be restarted but was not able to be driven. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer, who was unable to diagnose the stalling failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,150.

- East Brunswick, NJ, USA

Feb 212014

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently and then stalled with the illumination of the wrench warning icon. The vehicle was restarted after several attempts and resumed normally however, the failure recurred five times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 25,640.

- Zephyrhill, FL, USA

Feb 172014

Edge 6-cyl

Re: 2011 Ford Edge limited: On way to dealer for requested service/repair re: Sudden and unexpected engine loss of power (stall - 3 episodes within 2 weeks) while underway the vehicle stalled 3 additional times. At time of stall (loss of engine power) the engine remained running; check engine light was on; "wrench" showed on dash instruments; all electrical power remained on and operating. Necessary to put hazard lights on, glide to stop off road, place transmission lever in neutral then in park and turn engine off. On restart, check engine light was on. I called advantage Ford dealership from road; they said ok to proceed to dealership. These incidents occurred in heavy traffic on us-1. no warning from car re: Engine rumbling or other before stall. Felt in danger but able to navigate safely. Internet search prior to dealer visit indicated "throttle body" problem with Ford escape primarily. Only 1-3 complaints re: Ford Edge.

- Stuart, FL, USA