2011 Ford Edge engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Feb 182014

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the oil warning light illuminated as the engine stalled. The failure caused another vehicle to crash into the passenger's side of the contact's vehicle. The contact did not sustain any injuries. A police report was filed of the incident. The vehicle was able to be restarted but was not able to be driven. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer, who was unable to diagnose the stalling failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 35,150.

- East Brunswick, NJ, USA

Feb 212014

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently and then stalled with the illumination of the wrench warning icon. The vehicle was restarted after several attempts and resumed normally however, the failure recurred five times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 25,640.

- Zephyrhill, FL, USA

Feb 172014

Edge 6-cyl

Re: 2011 Ford Edge limited: On way to dealer for requested service/repair re: Sudden and unexpected engine loss of power (stall - 3 episodes within 2 weeks) while underway the vehicle stalled 3 additional times. At time of stall (loss of engine power) the engine remained running; check engine light was on; "wrench" showed on dash instruments; all electrical power remained on and operating. Necessary to put hazard lights on, glide to stop off road, place transmission lever in neutral then in park and turn engine off. On restart, check engine light was on. I called advantage Ford dealership from road; they said ok to proceed to dealership. These incidents occurred in heavy traffic on us-1. no warning from car re: Engine rumbling or other before stall. Felt in danger but able to navigate safely. Internet search prior to dealer visit indicated "throttle body" problem with Ford escape primarily. Only 1-3 complaints re: Ford Edge.

- Stuart, FL, USA

Feb 022014

Edge

Issue 1 of 2: on 3 separate occasions the engine has suddenly lost power, lost speed and the engine shook and ran extremely rough. There was a message with a wrench on the screen that said see owners manual, but no useful information was given. The warning message later went away with no evidence of a problem. 2 of the incidents occurred at highway speed and nearly cause severe multi-car accidents. Another incident was at a lower speed of about 45 mph and did not occur on a major highway. Issue 2 of 2: as a separate issue, there have been 2 occurrences of a very hash clunk from the transmission that felt as if the vehicle hit something. More information: The vehicle was purchased used at carmax with 213000 miles on it, purchase date: 01/28/2014.

- Leander, TX, USA

Oct 102013

Edge 6-cyl

My Edge kept shutting down unexpectedly on different occasions but would never set of a code just tell me the AWD is shutting down and would have no gas power to get off the road just hopefully I had enough speed going to coast of to the side of the road. And after shutting the car off then turn the car back on it would start and go again took it to the Ford dealers to put it on their diagnostic computer and did not show up showing an unexpectedly shut down.my Edge had probably done this a dozen times in the last 6months and yesterday it did it 4 times right in a row but this time it set of the engine light so I could read the code it produced which read throttle actuator locking up so I am going to replace the throttle body and see if this cures my problem.

- Summerside, NJ, USA

Dec 052013

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 33,000.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Oct 172013

Edge

Driving down the road, the vehicle suddenly lost power and the gas pedal became unresponsive. "see manual" warning light with a wrench icon came on. Pulled car over, and restarted the vehicle at which time the car drove normally. Took it to local dealership, where they were unable to pull the error code. Continued driving vehicle and error occurred intermittently. Today, occurred twice on my drive in to work (5 miles), the second time the "check engine" light came on. Took vehicle to autozone, they pulled a P2111 code. Having throttle body serviced tomorrow at local repair shop. The last time this happened today was in an intersection - very nearly caused an accident. This throttle body failure seems to be a common issue. I find it very curious that there has not been a recall yet as this is clearly a widespread issue and it is clearly a safety issue.

- Russellville, AR, USA

Sep 142013

Edge 6-cyl

While driving the all wheel drive shuts down and you have no power. I shut the engine off and re-start. It worked for about 100 yards and did it again. It did this 7 times in less than 10 miles. It did not do it again for about 10 days. Then it did it 5 times in less than 2 miles. It happens at various speeds. Both in manual and automatic. This past weekend it happened another 3 times while out of town on a MINIvacation.

- Norton Shores, MI, USA

Oct 092013

Edge

While making a turn the vehicle suddenly stalled out without warning, luckily the car coming towards me slowed in time and I was able to coast to the middle lane. Check engine light appeared and also a wrench symbol. After a few minutes I restarted the car and it did turn on, I was driving without issues, when going 45 mph the vehicle shook and again stalled out. Having my 1 year old son in the car was very frightening, I was terrified I would be hit by another vehicle as the Edge suddenly turns off with no warning. Being we live in a somewhat rural area and having my son, I was determined to make it home, which thank goodness I did safely, unfortunately after stalling out 2-3 more times. My husband took the Edge to the dealership today which they claim it is the throttle body, and since we do not have the extended warranty is $800. After seeing these other posts it seems that there should be a Ford recall. Thankfully no one was hurt, but it can lead to a fatality if the Edge stalls on the freeway or busy road, its very scary. I purchased a new car to feel safe and to have my son safe, I feel far from and I want nothing but to get rid of this vehicle. Something needs to be done. VIN unavailable as my car is still at the dealership.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Sep 012013

Edge

While driving at approx 35 mph the Edge went into a basic "limp" mode, preventing any acceleration. I pulled over and shut it down, it flashed a yellow wrench and said AWD off, I restarted it and the next day it happened around 55 mph, shut it down again and restarted it. The very next day it happened a total of 5 times, at various speeds, when will something be done about this" after someone gets killed" truck will be sitting in my garage and I guess we will share our other car, no way in hell am I letting my wife drive this vehicle, it will end up being a "death trap"

- Wallkill, NY, USA

Jun 142013

Edge 6-cyl

Driving down the street and vehicle acts like it is running out of gas or vapor locking. Accelerator all the way down and vehicle slowing down to a stop. Wrench light comes on vehicle and take to Ford dealership for repair. I feel like this should be covered under warranty due to the fact that several other throttles have reported going out on this year model.

- Cat Spring, TX, USA

Jun 182013

Edge 6-cyl

My husband was driving; we were on a trip. The speed dropped from about 50 to a crawl; no acceleration. He pulled over and I pulled out the owner's manual. The info said there was a problem with the powertrain and the car would be in limp mode. My husband turned off ignition and restarted. It was okay for another couple of miles then happened again. Again he turned it off and restarted. The third time it happened, we pulled over and called Ford. Luckily there was a dealership close by. However, when we talked to them, they said they'd have to do a diagnostic. We didn't leave the car. We didn't have another problem until July 25, 2013. It happened again twice while I was driving. The car is now at the dealers being checked out for the problem. First impression, it's the throttle.

- San Antonio, VT, USA

Jul 202013

Edge 6-cyl

While driving the car the car 'stalled' meaning I had no ability to accelerate the car, all other items worked ok, an amber wrench light came on, I pulled over, restarted the car and it worked fine. It happened again 3 days later approx the same speed. Seeming this has been an issue among other Ford Edge cars.

- Holtsville, NY, USA

Jul 102013

Edge 6-cyl

On three different occasions my Ford Edge lost power to acceleration and stalled out. The first time I was pulling out of a parking space. The car went limp and a wrench warning appeared. When I checked the information system it had the 'no key detected' warning. I restarted and car seemed fine. Two days later I was pulling onto a busy street and the same thing occurred only this time no warning lights appeared and there were no warnings in the information setting. On the same day, while traveling 60 mph on the interstate the car did the same thing. This time it was in heavy traffic and there was not a shoulder available to pull over. I had to turn on hazard lights and hope the momentum of the car would allow me to get to a safe stopping place. Unfortunately it did not and I had to stop in the middle of the interstate, put the car in park and restart. I was lucky I wasn't rearended. It did restart but this time the service engine soon light came on and remained on. I called roadside assistance and had the car taken to a dealership. They have determined it to be the throttle body. Part is on back order and no idea when car will be fixed. After the third incident I began researching and have learned that this is an ongoing problem. Ford needs to do something about this as someone is going to be seriously hurt or killed. They are aware of the issue and have even replaced the manufacturer who provided the throttle body part due to numerous problems. Ford needs to issue a recall immediately if not, at the very least owners of these vehicles need to be informed of the issue and if they experience similar problems should be told to immediately contact their dealer. I have reported the issue to Ford and they have opened a case. I recommend that all who have had problems do the same. The more complaints, the harder it is to ignore!

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jun 272013

Edge 6-cyl

Travel on interstate highway in middle of three lanes at 75mph. Power to engine ceased. Engine would not respond to accelerator. Coasted across right lane of heavy traffic to get to right shoulder. Coasted to stop.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jun 242013

Edge

While driving at highway speeds twice, and 45 mph once, the engine completely stalled and would not accelerate. The warning "wrench" light illuminated with each occurrence. Car had to be coasted to a complete stop, turned off and then restarted. It was taken to dealership on each occurrence and I was told without a "service engine soon" light or with the "wrench" light illuminated there was nothing they could do. The car cannot be driven once it stalls so there is no way it can be driven to the dealership with this error displayed and once it is turned off this warning will not display once restarted. Our service department knows exactly that this is a throttle body problem but they are not authorized to replace it without this error documented through the computer diagnostics. My description is not enough. Sent away with a potentially hazardous and malfunctioning vehicle still under warranty. In contact with regional manager who should get back to me within 48 hours.

- Crestview, FL, USA

May 162013

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving downhill approximately 55 mph, the engine stalled with a warning symbol alert displayed on the instrument panel. The vehicle was coasted off of the roadway and into a grassy area. The engine was restarted after five minutes and resumed normally. The failure recurred on a separate occasion. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis however, the technician was unable to locate the problem. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The failure mileage and VIN were unavailable.

- Summerfield , FL, USA

Jan 192013

Edge 6-cyl

Traveling on interstate highway the engine shut down and a wrench warning symbol appeared on dash board. Turned off car and restarted all cleared. Took to dealer and they could find nothing on computer. Happen again on trip to Florida and twice more back at home. Dealer again check and said could find nothing. There is definitely something going wrong and it a serious hazard when you are traveling at interstate speed and the car engine, power steering, and brakes stop working. Car goes into creep mode until you stop turn off engine and restart.

- Katy, TX, USA

Nov 262012

Edge

I had been having on-going issues with engine surging, stalling and gear "skipping" since I first purchased the vehicle in December 2010, which I had reported to the dealership and about which I was in the midst of lemon law proceedings under ga lemon law. They are best described as similar in nature to those reported in the NHTSA investigation here: www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/02/25/probe-Ford-cars-SUVS-stalling/1945799/ at times, the engine would cut out at high speeds and I'd be stuck in "limp mode". other times the transmission would slip, then surge, making it feel as if I were hit from behind by another vehicle. Still other times, it might stall out at slow speeds (I.e. while making a turn, etc.), leaving me stuck in an intersection and vulnerable to being hit by oncoming traffic. Ford had attempted multiple times to fix this problem, but it kept recurring, even after many parts were rebuilt or replaced. Finally, the unresolved issue culminated in an accident on 11/26/12. I was coming off on a highway exist ramp and the engine "skipped" and surged, propelling me into the rear of the car in front of me. No one was treated for injury at the time of the crash, but the driver of the other car did report injury after the crash. My issue is still unresolved by Ford. They claim they can't duplicate the issue and have made no attempts to get me out of this vehicle, which I am stuck driving until I can complete the lengthy lemon law process. I fear for my life every day that I have to drive it and am afraid to Transport my children in it. Thank you for the opportunity to submit my claim.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Feb 112013

Edge 6-cyl

As I was leaving work and pulled out of the parking lot onto the main road and my car stalled after reaching approx 10-15 mph indicating me to "see manual" with a wrench on the screen then flashing "check engine oil pressure". as I came to a complete stop my Edge began to shake violently and the RPM's began to jump up and down frantically. I then turned my Edge off for 30 seconds. When I restarted it, it started without issue and idled fine. I was able to back it up and drive it under 10 mph to park it over night. The following day (today) when I went to take it to the dealership the same thing happened except this time around only the "see manual" indicator flashed and I had to have it towed to the local Ford dealership for servicing. Still no word on what it could possibly be. I checked the oil level, it was normal and have been having it serviced every 3,000 miles.

- League City , TX, USA