2011 Ford Edge engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Sep 152014

Edge 6-cyl

Actually happened twice. Once at 60 mph and again at about 15mph. The car immediately decelerates on its own as if it is not getting gas. The "wrench" icon comes on. When the car is turned off and restarted, it functions normally. Several similar instances reported on internet.

- Victoria, TX, USA

Aug 112014

Edge

I was driving along on a 2 lane highway when all of a sudden I had no power in the gas pedal, and an orange wrench light popped up in my dash. I pulled off the road and put my car in park. It was idling very rough. I turned the car off and after a few minutes I cranked it back up and it was fine. I took it to tallahassee Ford on magnolia. When I got there and told the service guy what the problem was he immediately said it was the throttle body. Two days later he called and said they replaced the PCM. It was fine for 24 hours then it did the same thing again in downtown traffic. I took it back to Ford and they replaced my dirty air filter and that was it. Now it's back at Ford right now, because the problem is now happening more frequently and is very dangerous as I do a lot of interstate driving, and they just called to tell me it's the throttle body and it would be nearly $600 to replace it. I feel like I've gotten the run around!

- Monticello, FL, USA

Sep 102014

Edge 6-cyl

Accelerator became unresponsive in heavy traffic at speed creating a very dangerous situation. The engine was running but you were unable to accelerate, had to maneuver out of traffic on to the shoulder of the road and wait in high volume traffic to be towed.

- Prairie Grove, AR, USA

Sep 042014

Edge

Was driving in busy residential area and the car started to shudder and eventually lost all power to the engine and the dashboard displayed a wrench symbol. It seemed like it was going to stall. I was able to get to the side of the road. I then turned the engine off and upon restarting was able to drive the short distance to the dealer. The dealer performed a PCM reprogram. Per the diagnostic notes, after getting a code of P260F they reprogrammed the car to the latest calibration, test drove it (approx 9 miles) and no sign of the problem. I picked the car up on Friday, Sept 5. today, Sept 7, 2014, just 2 days after "fixing" the problem, the exact same thing happened. Similar speed, car started to shake and unresponsive to accelerator. Fortunately, I was at nearly the same location so I was able to get to the side of the road without incident. After researching the issue, this appears to a pretty common problem in the Ford Edge owner community. However, if this issue were to happen while driving on a freeway, the outcome might be very different. Hoping someone can help with this issue. I no longer feel safe driving this car.

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Aug 202014

Edge 6-cyl

As I was driving out of my neighborhood, I pressed the accelerator, felt a jerk, and then no response from the accelerator. The car was just in idle, with nothing I could do. The "wrench" light (check engine) came on. Luckily, I could easily pull over, since I had no control over my speed, except for braking. I shut the vehicle off, and turned it back on, and it seemed to be fine. 5 minutes later, driving on a four lane road, the accelerator went unresponsive again. I was able to pull onto a side street with my existing momentum (there was no shoulder or space on the main road). I contacted my dealership and made an appointment for the next day. The next morning, the same thing occurred while driving my daughter to school (I was able to pull off the road), and again, about 50 feet from the Ford dealership. After evaluation, they said that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The part would take 2-3 days to order. They did not offer me a rental to use instead of my unsafe vehicle, but after I pushed, I was able to obtain a rental vehicle. I was not about to spend 5 days driving a vehicle I could not trust to be responsive when I needed it. Numerous other Ford vehicles have had issues with the electronic throttle body, resulting in an extension of the warranty for this part. After doing more research, I believe Ford needs to add the Edge to this list: www.fordproblems.com/problems/electronic-throttle-body.shtml.

- Saint Peters, MO, USA

Aug 062014

Edge

Going down a busy road at 45mph, my 2011 Ford Edge did a slight jerk and I lost the ability to accelerate. I was nearly rear ended! this incident has happened 3 times in 3 weeks. They occur at random and without warning. A wrench icon will display on the dash when it occurs. I had to coast to the shoulder of the road to stop since I could not accelerate, nor did the motor rev when I pressed the gas. Once stopped on shoulder, I cut the vehicle off and back on. It took longer than normal to crank. Once it finally started up I was able to continue driving with no problems. I brought the vehicle in to a Ford dealer to see what the error messages read and they were unable to find any messages on my car. This fact made it so I could not use my warranty coverage to cover repair cost. This is ludicrous! since this issue is recurring and, after research, found to be prevalent in many Ford models, Ford should step up and recall this issue but they won't. this is a dangerous issue and could cause injuries!

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Jun 022014

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving when I lost acceleration. A wrench light came up on my screen. Thankfully my brakes still worked and I was able to coast to a stop, almost getting rear ended by a semi, but then the whole motor started shaking and sputtering. I put my vehicle in park and turned it off. When I went to turn it back on it hesitated for a minute, but then started. This didn't happen again until a few weeks later while on the highway going 60mph! I've had it happen multiple times since then and almost being hit a few other times. I've noticed that I don't have as much power when accelerating even when the wrench doesn't come up. Today it happened twice within a couple of minutes and the check engine light came on this time. I don't understand why they won't have a recall when so many people have an issue! I've almost been hit multiple times when this occurs and I would rather not have me or my child hurt from a malfunction that needs to be fixed!

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jun 142014

Edge 6-cyl

While driving down a 4-lane expressway, my 2011 Ford Edge accelerator pedal stopped responding. The car did not lose all power, the accelerator just went dead. The car was idling very roughly, but when I pressed on the accelerator pedal nothing happened. There was no shoulder on the road so I had to stop in the middle of the road! I am so lucky that no one rear-ended me before I was able to maneuver off the road. I turned off the car and waited a minute or two and turned the car back on. The accelerator was working so I headed home. The car went "limp" two more times before I arrived home a couple of miles down the road. The next day my husband followed me to the dealership with his emergency flashers on. My Edge went "limp" twice on the way to the dealership. The mechanic was familiar with the problem and diagnosed a bad throttle body. It was replaced for about $650 and the car runs fine now. This problem is common and needs to be addressed before someone is killed! I thank my lucky stars that this didn't happen on a busy interstate.

- Gilroy, CA, USA

Jul 252014

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the accelerator pedal failed and the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the wrench warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the vehicle was repaired. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 41,000.

- Westmont, NJ, USA

Jul 062014

Edge

Driving getting ready to make a turn, vehicle completely stalled out, didn't turn off but I lost power. Had no ability to accelerate. Immediately put on hazard lights, put into park and turned car off. Turned car back on and preceded with fear and caution. I had a similar incident at about14000 miles when I took it in for service they said nothing was wrong. I'm afraid to drive to work in the morning, if this happens during rush hour someone may be injured or worst. I usually have my grand daughter with me.

- Parkville, MD, USA

May 022014

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated while driving the vehicle suddenly stalled. When the failure occurred, the power train malfunctioned and the power sensor light illuminated. The contact indicated that the defect occurred multiple times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the throttle body was defective. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,320.

- New Port Richey , FL, USA

Jun 022014

Edge 6-cyl

While driving on the highway, my Ford Edge lost acceleration. The engine remained idling but would not accelerate. I had to coast over to the side of the road, turn the engine off and restart. It would run fine for a few miles then repeat. I managed to get it to a Ford dealer who said it was a very common problem with the throttle body and it needed to be replaced but was not covered by my warranty. $610 later and many hours lost from work, I am a very unhappy Ford owner. Having researched this problem on line, I am finding it is a common problem with the Ford escape and now becoming more common with the Edge.

- Apex, NC, USA

Apr 112014

Edge

My wife was driving her 2011 Ford Edge on the highway at 60 mph with me and another passenger when all of a sudden the car began to decelerate very quickly. My wife shouted that the vehicle would not respond when she applied the accelerator pedal. We were in full traffic as cars sped beside us and came up quickly behind us slamming on their brakes to avoid hitting us. I turned on the hazard lights and told her to try to coast over to the shoulder because the vehicle would still not respond. She had to cut off several other vehicles to make it over to the shoulder but luckily no accident occurred. When we stopped, she again tried to apply the accelerator but still no response. She put the car in park and turned off the vehicle. She waited a few seconds and started the car and put it back in drive. The car finally responded and we were able to make it home without further incident. This was a very, very scary and dangerous situation. This car is well maintained and only had 51,000 miles. When this was happening, it reminded me of the Toyota incidents but instead of accelerating uncontrollably on the highway, we decelerated uncontrollably. I hope Ford looks into this situation more closely.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

May 102014

Edge 6-cyl

I was coming home from a soccer game and just lost power I pushed on the gas pedal nothing happened. Car loses power. Ford house had to replaced throttle body and recal PCM and allok. They explained it to me air was in it so it messed computer signal up. I don't know why I would have to pay to fix this issue. Ford needs to fix. 2011 Ford Edge has issues..updated 08/11/14

- Wichita Falls , TX, USA

Feb 212014

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently and then stalled with the illumination of the wrench warning icon. The vehicle was restarted after several attempts and resumed normally however, the failure recurred five times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 25,640.

- Zephyrhill, FL, USA

Feb 172014

Edge 6-cyl

Re: 2011 Ford Edge limited: On way to dealer for requested service/repair re: Sudden and unexpected engine loss of power (stall - 3 episodes within 2 weeks) while underway the vehicle stalled 3 additional times. At time of stall (loss of engine power) the engine remained running; check engine light was on; "wrench" showed on dash instruments; all electrical power remained on and operating. Necessary to put hazard lights on, glide to stop off road, place transmission lever in neutral then in park and turn engine off. On restart, check engine light was on. I called advantage Ford dealership from road; they said ok to proceed to dealership. These incidents occurred in heavy traffic on us-1. no warning from car re: Engine rumbling or other before stall. Felt in danger but able to navigate safely. Internet search prior to dealer visit indicated "throttle body" problem with Ford escape primarily. Only 1-3 complaints re: Ford Edge.

- Stuart, FL, USA

Oct 102013

Edge 6-cyl

My Edge kept shutting down unexpectedly on different occasions but would never set of a code just tell me the AWD is shutting down and would have no gas power to get off the road just hopefully I had enough speed going to coast of to the side of the road. And after shutting the car off then turn the car back on it would start and go again took it to the Ford dealers to put it on their diagnostic computer and did not show up showing an unexpectedly shut down.my Edge had probably done this a dozen times in the last 6months and yesterday it did it 4 times right in a row but this time it set of the engine light so I could read the code it produced which read throttle actuator locking up so I am going to replace the throttle body and see if this cures my problem.

- Summerside, NJ, USA

Apr 112011

Edge

Since the first year, when I leased it I've had trouble with the vehicle pulling and accelerating while driving. I've taken it to the dealership many times for this and they've stated no problem, but the last time I took it they found there was a problem. Unfortunately for me whatever they did was short lived, because it's back to pulling again and the kicking, like when you get rear ended by another car. My biggest fear is to one day be on the freeway and it pulls or accelerate and causes an accident.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 252013

Edge 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact was driving approximately 10 mph, when the vehicle became resistant to acceleration attempts. The contact turned the engine off and restarted the vehicle, and was able to drive without a failure. The failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the throttle body would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 45,000.

- Tulalip, WA, USA

Sep 272013

Edge 6-cyl

While driving in traffic at approximately 40 mph, the engine suddenly went into safe mode and the vehicle slowed causing following traffic to take evasive action to avoid the car. Although it was difficult in traffic, I was able to move to the right lane and then into a gas station parking lot without significant incident. I shut the engine down and restarted. The wrench alarm was gone and the engine ran normally. I drove to a dealership where a throttle body issue was diagnosed. The total fee was $500 and the vehicle still drove normally.

- Cocoa, FL, USA