2.8

2011 Ford Edge fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

May 052016

Edge

When driving car at any speed, engine suddenly loses all power, orange wrench comes on dash, there is no way to keep car moving.driver must realize what just happened and try to navigate car to a complete stop in asafe spot.on multiple occasions my wife was nearly rammed off the road when this happened on 295 in South jersey, this is a very dangerous problem for all cars nearby because it comes with no warning and no outward sign of a problem.compounding the problem is that you have to put the car in park for it to restart, neutral wont do anything, Ford has recalled over a million cars with this problem, please do whtever you can to speed up this recall before the deathtoll starts to climb,

- West Deptford, NJ, USA

Aug 192016

Edge

1.a wrench shaped light came on from instrument panel, and having a sudden loss of power while driving. 2.the accelerator stops working or has extremely limited power. 3.after power off the vehicle and wait for 10-15 minutes to restart the vehicle, the wrench shaped light goes away and the vehicle in drivable condition again. But the problem could happen again within a day or in few days. It is really dangerous while during in highway or in busy roads when this problem occurred. The problem happens randomly. Sometimes it could happen several times in a day, sometimes it won┐T happen in a week. I called Ford dealers and they said to diagnostic it for $98 and only when the symptom happens they will be able to find the real cause. I searched online and it's a very common problem to 2010 -2013 Ford Edge owners.

- Canton, MI, USA

Aug 052016

Edge

My vehicle smells like gas after 5 minutes driving. Took the vehicle to the dealer they could tell me the problem and insisted they did not smell nothing. I very concern. I can't drive the vehicle like this. The gas smell its bad. I found a recall on the body control module on this vehicle. Please help me fixed this problem.

- Southington, CT, USA

Aug 012016

Edge

2 times today I lost power and my car crawled out of the road. The wrench lit up and after I stopped and restarted car it was back to normal. First time was pulling into work then after work on the way to the dealership. They are fixing it. Said it was a faulty throttle body control module. Before they called back I looked this up and there were many statements on this happenning. If I had been on the interstate I could have been killed. I don't know why there hasn't been a recall before there are any lawsuits from people dieing.

- Gaffney, SC, USA

Jul 112016

Edge

Vehicle slowed and shut-down. Dealer stated throttle body had an electrical short. Unsafe driving condition to say the least. Vehicle shut down on public street..vehicle mileage was 52,964.

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Jul 052016

Edge

When driving in certain days especially after the car has been sitting over the weekend you can smell exhaust fumes in the cabin

- Egg Harbor Twp, NJ, USA

Jun 252016

Edge

While driving down the highway, my 2011 Ford Edge lost all acceleration and the AWD warning light came on with the lighted symbol of a wrench. I was almost rear ended by several cars before I could make it side of road. I had to shut vehicle completely down and restart. This problem continued for several more times. Ford needs to address this problem before several people get killed.

- Round Lake, IL, USA

Jun 192016

Edge

On occasion, when breaking at slow speeds (like pulling into a parking space) while depressing the brake peddle, the car will accelerate and lurch forward. My foot was nowhere near the accelerator peddle. This happens about once every few weeks.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 022016

Edge

The door ajar warning lights come on every single day for all doors. Constantly causing surmountable stress to driver. If unable to get the sensor to turn off, the doors do not lock while driving, which is terribly unsafe for driver and passengers. Also, because the dome light is connected to the door, the lights stay on draining battery. I've also had the door ajar sensor warning come on while driving down the road, when it was previously not on. There are also warnings "check fuel inlet", but there is nothing to check. The only problem is that the sensor has a problem! which then in turn makes the engine light illuminate because it thinks there is a leak in the fuel inlet, or perhaps thinks that the seal isn't closed because Ford decided the cap-less fuel inlet was a good idea. It's not!

- Lake City, MI, USA

Apr 142016

Edge

Driving on interstate car loses almost all engine power warning light goes on towed to dealer told throttle body needs replacement part backordered now going on 3 weeks car has 52000 miles service advisories for this part on other Ford models not Edge

- Deland, FL, USA

Mar 012016

Edge

Car stalled when enmotion at 40 mph wrench light comes on also AWD light stop turn off engine and restart car it runs normal at that point but will do again unexpecting at another time and place.speed is no factor at any given speed it will stall.it is unsafe to drive.

- Houston, TX, USA

Feb 122016

Edge

Traveling at 55mph, lost thrttle control, yellow wrench icon appeared. Was able to pull over. Engine was still running. Turned off engine, and resarted. Everything was normal on way back home. Car still parked, haven't been to dealer shop yet.

- Loxahatchee, FL, USA

Jan 102016

Edge

Car looses power with no warning, accelorator does nothing.have to turn car off and restart.this is a serious safety problem, I was nearly T boned by a semi crossing a main road when I had no power and stalled in middle of highway, if not for great reaction of semi driver iwould have been hit broadside at 50 mph.this has to qualify as a safety recall if ever there was a need for one.

- West Deptford, NJ, USA

Oct 162015

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled, lunged forward, and the limp home mode independently activated. The check engine and throttle control actuator stuck open warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the full throttle body malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was taken to be inspected where it was confirmed that the throttle control actuator was stuck open. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 62,800.....updated 03-31-16

- Randallstown, MD, USA

Sep 042015

Edge

Engine stalls, changes to limp home mode. This can happen during acceleration or at speed. The error wrench lights. This has resulted in an unsafe deceleration in traffic. Dealer finds no code in the system. Engine will run fine after shutdown and restart. The incidents occur on surface streets, intersections, and at highway speed. The Ford case number is case number cas7831451V2Q4H3. No satisfaction from Ford at this time.

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 062015

Edge

I left my house in the morning on 11/6 and after a short drive the "AWD off" and a "little wrench" light came on and the car lost power and just stopped in the middle of the street since I was trying to go up a hill. Thankfully no one was behind me!! it started to run very rough so I turned it off quickly, waited a few seconds and restarted it. The car then ran ok and got me to work and home again but when my husband took it to run an errand that night, same thing happened to him and then again this morning when I was bringing the car down for service. This was three times in one day! with no warning the car just loses power and stops. Very dangerous!! I'm afraid to drive my car now and I don't want to be on the highway and have this happen - someone is going to get hurt. The dealer cannot duplicate the problem or find a code coming up to reveal the issue.

- Groton, MA, USA

Oct 012015

Edge

Vehicle completely lost power while driving 45 mph on busy 4 lane road with no shoulder. Yellow wrench lit up on dash and car completely and immediately shut down leaving me without the ability to steer and safely remove the vehicle off of the road (I was almost rear-ended and a car had to swerve to keep from hitting me). This happened twice in 8 hours. Car has been maintained, had fuel, new battery, etc. With no other warnings or indicators. This issue is very dangerous!

- Brentwood, TN, USA

May 012015

Edge

On several occasions the vehicle lost all acceleration and power to the engine. Yellow wrench showed there was a warning, and check engine light flashed, but upon turning off the car (the main electronics ie:radio/ac still worked) and restarting it resumed "normal" functions and driving. We had several times this happened to us. All of the occurrences happened in the middle of accelerating and at different speeds. Two were on residential roads, one was in a busy intersection, and one (the worst) was on the freeway 3 lanes over from the right shoulder going with the flow of traffic at 70mph. The dealership was unsuccessful N assisting with the problem because without a check engine light they were unable to diagnose the problem. But our latest incident, on September 11th, 2015 (this time the wrench and AWD off flashed), the check engine light stayed on and it was diagnosed as a bad throttle body. This is more than dangerous it is a russian roulette of whether the car will work or not. Please take this situation seriously, there are many other people M.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Edge/2011/engine/engine.shtml complaining about the same year and model as my car, having the same exact issue. This should be put on recall immediately.

- Belmont, CA, USA

May 062015

Edge

Defective throttle body. Entering highway at approximately 45 mph and accellerating when car de-acclerated on its own to a crippling 2 mph. Moved over to the far right side with car moving at 2 mph until I was able to get off highway and part car. Let sit 15 minutes and car started and acclerated appropriately. 2 weeks later same thing. Acclerating from a stop at a stop ligh and car de-acclerated on its on and limped to 2 mph untill I could pull off road and let sit. Started badk up and drove ok. About two weeks later happened again. On August 30, 2015 the car began doing this daily and took 9 times of letting car sit after it de-acclerated to get home from work. Called Ford Motor Company and they claim no recalls for the defective throttle body problem that Ford Edges are having. Researched the internet and see thousands of complaints with this issue. Defective throttle body on Ford Edges including the 2011. Called Ford and lodged a complaint. Took car to skillman Ford in greenwood Indiana and was diagnosed as a failed throttle body and needed replaced. Was informed it would cost me $664.71 for me to have it repaired. Was also informed there were no Ford financial assistance programs to help me pay for repairs on the defective throttle body which is a Ford problem. I did authorize the repair as I need my car. I am very unhappy with Ford as they will not cover there defect and it is a known Ford defective part-throttle body. What will it take for Ford to step up and cover their defects? as much as I love my Edge I will not purchase another Ford product because there is no customer service programs at Ford Motor Company (not the dealership where I got my car repaired) when there is an issue with defective parts and getting them replaced by Ford. Shame on you Ford Motor Company.

- Dallas, NC, USA

Jun 082015

Edge

Certified pre-owned 2011 Ford Edge limited AWD. Purchased in Nov. 2014. On Monday, June 8, 2015 as I was driving at 55 mph, a light came on on the left hand side of the instrument panel. The light said "AWD off" and had a little wrench symbol on it. The car abruptly lost power and I just coasted out of the way of traffic and onto the side of the road because there was no shoulder. I tried to press the gas pedal but nothing happened--there was no acceleration. My vehicle essentially "died" without warning in traffic. Weather conditions were sunny about 85 degrees. The radio and ac worked, but the gas pedal did not. The vehicle sounded like it was going to stall out and was sputtering as I coasted. I put the vehicle in "park" and turned the vehicle off. I waited several minutes and restarted the vehicle. Vehicle seemed to work ok and no warning lights came back on afterwards. I called the dealership and arranged for me to have my car inspected for the cause of this malfunction. I paid $111.30 for the vehicle to be hooked to a diagnostic machine but the dealership was unable to get any "codes" from a diagnostic reading nor could the dealer replicate the warning light to come on. On June 24, 2015 the same issue happened again. I took a photo of the light on the dash, sent it to dealership. Third time happened on Friday, July 10, 2015 and I was on the highway in the passing lane and had to coast across the slow lane to get out of the way of traffic so I wouldn't cause an accident. Again, I took photos of the odometer and the "AWD off" light and sent to dealership. Dealership sys without a code from diagnostic machine, they can't tell what is wrong. Fourth time happen last night, July 14, 2015. This is a huge issue as from researching on the internet, a lot of other Ford Edge owners experienced the same problem! please help! I feel like I'm getting no help!

- Monroeville, NJ, USA