3.3

2011 Ford Edge miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Nov 252016

Edge

My passenger door indicates that when closed that it is not. The dome light stays on and so does the dash indicator. It has also done it while driving down the road. Creepy, since I'm disabled and have hands controls to drive. So I have to pull over and reclose the door. Plus once the lights come on I can't see while driving at night.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 102016

Edge

Door ajar light stays on. Not sure if door is opened or closed driver side.. worried that the door will open while driving. Battery has died in the car already because the interior lights stay on.

- North Brunswick, NJ, USA

Jun 042014

Edge

Door ajar will not turn off for drivers door. Problem is intermittent, however more constant when it is hot out side. This causes the dome light to remian on. You can open and close the door several time and sometimes the warning will stop. Makes driving difficult when it is dark out because of the dome light being on.

- Colbert, WA, USA

Dec 062016

Edge

I bought this car 2015 in the late winter. From the time I bought it the drivers door sensor would say its ajar. According to the dealer it would be about $1000 to fix. Tonight my auto door unlock doesn't work and neither does the key unlock the door. I'm stranded 30 miles from home. This is totally unacceptable. I will be letting anyone who asks to be extremely cautious about any Ford products.

- Mendota Heights, MN, USA

Aug 082016

Edge

Eight times within the past 60 days we have been driving our car and with no warning it slows and will not pick up speed until we turn the ignition off and turn it back on a wrench appears in the dashboard, we haven't had any accidents but we are afraid to dive the car on the interstate its just a matter of time before we are in the wrong place at the wrong time and this happens.

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

May 162016

Edge

Door ajar light stays on and locks to do not lock can't back up because light stays on when its dark and I cannot see.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Feb 012016

Edge

The door ajar light stays illuminated permanently whenever either rear door is opened and closed. Because of this, the automatic door locks do not lock automatically and the interior lights stay illuminated. Ford charges over $400 for each door to fix this problem. This should a recall!

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jan 022015

Edge

Door ajar lights for both driver and passenger side doors stay on even though they are closed. Result is that the dome lights stay on and unable to lock the doors while driving even though they are closed. Has caused a drain on the battery, dealer wants a large sum of money to replace the latch even though it's clearly a sensor only.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Oct 182016

Edge

Internal water pump went out. No sensor saying its bad. When it occurs the fluid drops in to oil pan, sucks in to engine and destroys the engine in a matter of minutes. Vehicle was in motion, engine light turned on and car died in a minute.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Nov 092015

Edge

The sensor in my driver side door warns me that my door is "ajar" when all doors are shut. When this warning is on, I am not able to lock any doors in my vehicle (neither in motion nor parked) and I often travel with toddlers. The dome lights are also illuminated so it is almost impossible to see on the road at night.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Oct 292016

Edge

The latch door ajar sensor is not working properly and cannot recognize when the door is closed. This results in me being unable to lock my door and it leaves the dome lights on until it times out.

- Humble, TX, USA

Oct 072016

Edge

The door adjar light stays on constantly has been constant problem since we bought car in 2012. First time was under warranty and local dealership saiid they fixed it. However within weeks of warranty expiring the same problem on same door happened and has been constant since then.

- Tornado, WV, USA

Feb 012016

Edge

The door latch mechanism on my driver's side door slowly began failing. At roughly 35K miles, the "door ajar" warning would appear on my vehicle display. I would reclose the door and the warning would go away. It randomly continued to happen and resolve itself while stationary or while running, until about 95K miles ( 8 mo ago). There were electronic sprays you could spray into the latch mechanism that would make the warning go away for a limited amount of time. Eventually the entire electrical mechanism failed. I could not lock my doors with the ignition on and eventually just learned to 'approve/ok' the warning every time the ignition was on. Unfortunately there were several times when I was actually driving with an semi-latched/open door. I didn't know because I 'ok'd the 'door ajar' warning like normal. The only way I would know something was diffeent, would be when I drove at a high enough rate of speed to notice the increased road noise from my side of the vehicle. It is also my understanding that newer vehicles automatically lock once under way to disengage the door opening mechanism in case of an accident that might open the door- clearly this is not possible with the failed door latch. The only work around that I have discovered is to remove a fuse which removes the interior lighting and prevents the battery from draining. I still have to 'ok" the 'door ajar' warning though. As for locking the vehicle for safety in an accident, if you lock the vehicle first then turn on the ignition the vehicle remains locked. This workaround is rarely going to happen in the real world. There was a 'cleaning' procedure that several dealers offered for around $200, but it was not guaranteed and the $400 replacement might still have to occur with a latch that still often failed (per internet forums). My repair is scheduled for 10/8/16.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

Jun 052016

Edge

Passanger door latch fails, door comes open. Interior lights will not turn off and locks will not lock because of failing door latch

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Oct 032016

Edge

Door ajar lights staying on and will not go off when door is closed! they go on and off while driving down the road. Can't lock the doors, alarm will not set, interior lights stay on and run battery down constantly.

- Pearl, MS, USA

Sep 012016

Edge

Driver door ajar stayed on....interior lights stayed on....doors would not stay locked....high beams would not turn off. Could not drive my vehicle at night. All safety concerns. I just paid Ford Motor Company for new switch assembly and door latch assembly and labor. Total cost was $833.19 for parts and labor. When I took my car in I mentioned to the dealer that I had seen numerous complaints online with the same issue. They didn't care at all. I had no choice but to pay to repair.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Sep 162016

Edge

The door ajar error appears on the dash, even when the door is fully closed. The alarm cannot be properly activated because of this. The door was not hit in an accident, it just developed one day intermittently and is now constant. I am having to replace the door latch to resolve the issue.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 142016

Edge

The ┐door ajar┐ warning light on my 2011 Edge periodically comes on and stays on. The warning indicates that various doors are open. Sometimes it's the driver door; other times it's the left passenger door or the back gate. Each time the doors were closed properly, however the sensor thinks that the doors are open. This malfunction causes the interior dome lights and the exterior lights on the side mirrors to remain on, which drains the battery. Originally, I thought this issue was a problem specific to my vehicle. However, in an attempt to understand the problem, I conducted an internet search and discovered that the ┐door ajar┐ warning is a common and well known problem with Ford products including the Edge. This problem is not a result of use or wear and tear of the vehicle; it clearly is a mechanical /engineering flaw with the vehicle. I feel that this situation is a safety issues and should be corrected by Ford Motor Company. On September 19, 2016, I sent an email to the Ford Motor Company customer relationship center (crc), explaining the problem and seeking help. I was assigned a case number (cas-10612005-P1F4G7) and was told to contact a local dealer to diagnosis the problem. On September 27, 2016, a service department representative from beau townsend Ford informed me that the problem was with the door latch and the cost to repair is approximately $385 per latch. He also informed me that Ford Motor Company would not pay for the repair.next, I called the crc to appeal the decision.I was told that the problem was not a recall item and that Ford would not repair the vehicle. I was also told that I had no further recourse regarding this issue.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Sep 232016

Edge

The doors always show ajar. The dealer has worked on our car at least 3 times now it's out of warranty and they want to charge us to fix it. The is a safety hazard and it ruins the battery. My daughter drives this car and the light won't go off until you get moving down the road.

- Vidor, TX, USA

Jun 012016

Edge

Door ajar light stays on, acts as if drivers door isn't closed. Also prevents us from locking vehicle up when we leave it. Started with only driver door. Now is rear drivers side door also. Concerned about safety of family and our valuables with this issue that shouldn't be happening.

- Woodlawn, IL, USA