2011 Ford Edge seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments

Jul 012011

Takata air bag

- Benton Harbor, MI, USA

Sep 162015

Edge

Issue 1: the car continues to say that the door is not closed. I will open and reclose and it still does not clear the read error on the dash. It is the drivers door. I have done research online and this seems to be a common issue. The dome lights stay on until speeds of 12 mph are reached and if backing up it will not turn off. The doors will not lock when inside due to the door ajar. Issue 2: this has been an ongoing issue- the air bag light will come on my car after driving for 20 minutes. This one is concerning to me because no one seems to know why it does it. I have contacted Ford and they say to bring to local dealer. Local dealer tells me it is because I have weight on the passenger seat - this orange light will come on even when I do not have anything on the passenger seat or even when the seat belt on the passenger seat is buckled. I am scared that my airbags do not work when that is lit-- luckily I have not been in an accident yet to find out. But they do not want to figure out the issue without charging me an arm and leg to look into it to diagnose to start.

- Foxboro, WI, USA

Mar 022015

Edge 6-cyl

Hit on driver front fender at 50 mph and then again on the passerger side at 10 mph. No air bags deployed during the entire process.

- Laredo, TX, USA

Aug 012014

Edge

I have a 2011 Ford Edge and at 70,000 miles, my door ajar light stays on even though my door is closed. I can't lock my doors while I'm driving which worries me since I have a 5 month old baby. My battery dies because my interior lights stay on due to the door being "ajar". I've also heard that my airbags may not deploy in an accident if my interior lights are on. That's a scary thought! I've been told that the sensor to the latch is just dirty and that it needs to be cleaned off which would cost me $450! then they said that they could just replace it. This is ridiculous! Ford needs to fix this problem! I've always loved Ford, but after owning this vehicle and having this silly issue, I don't think I'll be buying another Ford again!!!

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

May 052013

Edge 6-cyl

I was rear-ended at a pedestrian crosswalk by a teen texting on his smartphone while driving at the speed of about 40mph. The impact caused me to smash into another car in front of me. I wasn't injured because I braced myself for impact looking up through my mirrors. The airbag light came on as if they airbags were about to deploy on the dash board but they simply didn't deploy. When I was driving home the car started shaking as if the airbags might pop out if I hit a bump in the road. The car is now parked and will remain parked until this issue is fully resolved.. no more Ford cars for me!

- North Hollywood, CA, USA

Feb 102012

Edge 6-cyl

My son was driving his 2011 Ford Edge down a busy road at night when another driver cut right in front of him. He hit the brakes but the road was wet and the car would not stop. To avoid a front collision with the other driver he turned the steering wheel to the right and that made him lose control of the car. He hit a tree, his car spun all the way across the road hitting the sidewalk and crashing the side passenger door against a street sign. The car is totaled (we believe). The front was destroyed, and the two front wheels smashed. The impact was so strong that the back lights were thrown 30 meters away from the car. Passenger door was stuck and the windshield broken. What concerns me is that the airbags did not deploy. Everybody at the scene of the accident, from the rescuer to the tow company, commented on that fact. My son is fine ( thank god for seatbelts) and nobody was hurt, but if you just see the car it is unbelievable that no airbag deployed. It is not right that after buying a car and worrying about so many things that can go wrong in traffic I have to worry if the airbags are working or not. It is not responsible.

- Miami, FL, USA