2.8

2011 Ford Edge suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments

May 012016

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. While driving various speeds, a clunking noise was heard coming from the front passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the passenger side struts failed and needed to be replaced. It was unknown if the vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Piedmont, AL, USA

Jan 052016

Edge

Without any forewarning, we were driving along and heard and felt several loud pops coming from under the hood. When we stopped, we found a broken windshield, the passenger side wheel/tire had collapsed into the wheel well, and the engine hood was pushed up roughly 6" above where it's supposed to be. Upon initial inspection, we noticed that the passenger side strut tower, which is of a ridiculously weak 2-piece design, the 2 pieces had completely separated from each other. No potholes or other road hazards were hit, we were driving in a straight line. The approximate 9 spot welds holding the two pieces of the strut tower together completely separated. When the vehicle was inspected by 2 separate shops, both claimed that was absolutely no damage to any other suspension components, including control arms, ball joints, sway bar, sway bar end links, or anything else that would've caused the strut tower to break in such a fashion. Several incidents of this have been reported online and references can be shared upon request.

- Wauconda, IL, USA

Feb 012013

Edge

Both my wife and I noticed that there were loud noises coming from the rear end of the vehicle...growling noises which became noticeable around 30 mph. As the speed increased, the noise level did as well. I was told by a Ford mechanic that the rear wheel bearings needed to be replaced (after only approx. 32K miles!). I replaced both rear wheel bearings and the noise diminished but did not totally go away. It still varies with speed. When it's raining, the noise diminishes. When it's cold ( freezing or lower) the noise diminishes. In neither case, after the bearings were replaced, did the noise go away completely. We bought the car brand new and had none of these problems. Different Ford forums state that there is a defect in the arms that support the rear wheels that causes the bearings to be rotated in a position that causes them to fail quickly. To date I have not found any literature from Ford verifying this, yet the problem persists.

- Sterling, VA, USA

May 152014

Edge 6-cyl

Vehicle failed annual safety inspection at approximately 40K miles. Dealer explained that front tie rod ends had failed and needed replacement. Made an appointment for service. Upon returning for service on the scheduled date at approximately 45K miles, dealer discovered leak in front rack and pinion assembly and explained entire front rack and pinion assembly needs replacement. As of this report, the vehicle is still with the local dealership's service department. The part to be replaced is on back-order. After quick internet search, discovered instances of same problem in steering & suspension with other 2011 Ford Edge and 2011 Lincoln MDX AWD vehicles. This is a safety issue in addition to being extremely costly in a relatively new vehicle for myself and other vehicle owners. This should be investigated. Thanks for your time.

- Gouverneur, NY, USA

Apr 012013

Edge

I purchased a certified used 2011 Ford Edge in January 2013. Shortly thereafter, I started noticing some major issues. 1) the transmission whines at low speeds, until I accelerate & it shifts up a few gears. I have also had it slip & clunk while shifting gears 2) there is a loud popping from the front end, passenger side, when I am turning, especially in & out of parking spots 3) there is a whistle coming from under the SUV, between the driver side doors & it does it in accessory mode or when the SUV is running. I have now had it back at the dealer for the 3rd time & they are working with Ford on diagnosing the issues. It is very disheartening to spend so much money for a vehicle & have such issues. Thankfully it is certified & under warranty. The dealership has been good about getting me a loaner vehicle too. But I almost am ready to ask them to trade me out of it, because I am sick of dealing with the issues. It is embarrassing to have such a nice looking "new" vehicle & when people ride with me, they notice all the things wrong & say I got a bad deal.

- Foxhome, MN, USA