2012 Ford Edge brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Edge:

2012 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Dec 242015

Edge

When I place my foot on the brake to start the car, and I leave my foot on brake paddle there is a humming noise that happens, this also happens when I place car in reverse and leave my foot on brake. Also there has been two times when I was stopping the car that the brake paddle went to the floor and the car was not stopping. Once when I was driving across a parking lot and stopping to wait to pull out and once when I was pulling into a parking space. Both of these incidents happened on the same day.

- Troutman, NC, USA

Dec 242015

Edge

Brake booster failed with no prior warning. Sitting at stop light, brake pedal went to the floor and car lundged forward into intersection. Luckily we were not hit. Contacted Ford dealer and they informed me it is "very" common failure and it was covered under extended warranty negotiated by Ford to prevent a recall? I see Ford who won that negotiation.. it is nice that this won't cost me any money but it has or will surely cost someone their life(s). Unbelievable that the dealer, NHTSA and Ford know about this problem and no notice is sent to tens of thousands of families driving kids around in death traps" if that is the best you can negotiate at NHTSA, given a choice I'd rather have been notified of the issue rather than have Ford pay for the repair. At least families could make the wise decision not to drive the car. Why do we have government agencies if this is allowed? I see hundreds of complaints all over the web and no recall??? no notice?? how many other timebombs have been sucessfully negotiated to remain on our roads putting families at risk by manufacturers"

- China Grove, NC, USA

Dec 232015

Edge

Brakes failed to engage, pedal was hard, pedal had to be pumped to get brakes to engage, dealer visited Dec 23 2015, diagnosis power break booster failure, called Dec 28 2015 to return for service, dealer claimed car fine to drive and left dealership with car on the 23rd?

- Vineland, NJ, USA

Nov 162015

Edge

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 25 mph, the brakes failed without warning. The contact was able to coast until the vehicle came to a complete stop. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic and the vehicle was diagnosed that the brake booster failed. The vehicle was repaired.the manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 56,000.

- Flinton, PA, USA

Nov 042015

Edge

The car fails to stop and break pedal goes to the floor when applied. Ford has a blurb out - 13N02 - extended warranty coverage on brake booster - about this but it's not a mandatory recall. I almost got killed going through an intersection yesterday when my vehicle failed to stop. Do people need to die before they address this issue?

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 292015

Edge

Pedal sometimes goes to floor and is slow to pump up again. More normal symptom is the break continues to slowly go to floor while stopped at a light. First though was air in the brakes but now believe the booster pump is inadequate or failing.

- Scituate, MA, USA

Oct 262015

Edge

When I press brake pedal is hard and the vehicle dont want stop and when I try to press pedal twice still didn't stop corectly, brake rotor and pads still like 80%

- Washington, PA, USA

Oct 152015

Edge

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. While driving in reverse, the brake pedal was applied, but the vehicle hesitated to stop and the pedal extended to the floorboard. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The mechanic replaced all four brake pads and machined the rotors. The failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000....updated 01/27/16

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Oct 102015

Edge

Backing down driveway in reverse the brakes failed to function properly. I had to stand on them (push with all my leg strength) and then all of a sudden they were working with the power assist. Thankfully no one was coming down the street at the time. I'm certain this is a design or manufacturing flaw. It was similar to the time I broke a brake line and only had the rear drum brakes working and had to use the emergency brake to stop. To me the brakes are mission critical for safety and if Ford won't admit it and have a recall then the ntsb must step in. This thread is loaded with similar complaints and something needs to be rectified before some one is killed.

- West Chester, PA, USA

Oct 082015

Edge

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. The contact stated that there was an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle as the brake system failed. The contact stated that when the brake pedal was applied, it was difficult to depress. The contact had to apply force to the brake pedal in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was to be taken to a dealer where it was awaiting diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Jefferson, OH, USA

Sep 152015

Edge

Brakes did not initially respond when backing up. Brake pedal was hard and took tremendous force to even begin to slow vehicle. Same occurrence when moving forward at slow speed. At faster speed, brakes were very grabby and inconsistent. Immediately concerned for safety and took to Ford dealership. Service tech. Knew immediately what issue was just by description of symptoms. Informed me car unsafe to drive and that repair would be covered by Ford customer satisfaction program 13N02 to replace brake booster. This seems like a recall situation as evidenced by many other accounts of this brake failure by me and many others. I was just fortunate it didn't occur on highway the day before.

- Flushing, MI, USA

Aug 182015

Edge

Brake pedal hard when pushed. Makes whooshing sound when held to floor. Brakes will grab when pushed hard. Have noticed brake pedal is very hard to push when in reverse. It is hard to stop vehicle when backing up. At times after having cruise control set, brakes do not want to work at all.

- Arkadelphia, AR, USA

Jul 302015

Edge

When driving my Edge through the mountains of upstate New York, I went to slow down going down a mountainous road. The brake pedal got very hard to push, and the vehicle did not want to slow down properly. Also noticed a hissing noise when the brake pedal was applied. Checked the brake fluid at the first available exit and noticed the master cylinder was 1/2 empty. Purchased new fluid and installed the needed amount in the master cylinder. The remainder of the 1400 mile trip the master cylinder did not show any loss of fluid, but the brakes are still not functioning properly. Got home and brought the vehicle to the local Lincoln/ Ford dealership, as I purchased this vehicle new. They replaced the brake power booster under the extended brake warranty, and said the vehicle was ready to go. I test drove the vehicle and found the brakes still not properly functioning. Still very low brake pedal, and soft also while stopped at light the pedal goes to the floor area. And they test drove the car they said. Immediately went back to dealer and left the vehicle. They said they will ask Ford if they will approve the brake master cylinder for replacement. Vehicle is at the dealer as of today August 4, 2015. Vehicle not safe to drive, collision is a very high risk with the vehicle as it now is. Left the vehicle at the dealer as stated before and will not pickup the vehicle until properly repaired a second time. Loosing faith in Ford at this time, what other issues will occur in the future?

- Debary, FL, USA

Jul 102015

Edge

During normal driving hitting the break, the pedal feels hard and the vehicle doesn't want to stop. It just keeps moving foreword. I have to push harder on the break pedal to get the breaks to catch and stop the vehicle. I'm thinking check valve or booster.

- Norwalk, IA, USA

Jun 022015

Edge

6-2-2015: I was driving down the road and was coming to a stop sign. I stepped on brakes and without warning the brakes did not engage. I went thru the stop sign on major roadway at 30 mph. I was hit by oncoming traffic traveling at 45 mph. The vehicle was totaled and 3 people, myself included, were injured. I owned the vehicle less than 2 months. My first Ford in years. Ford has known about a brake booster problem for years and has not recalled the vehicle. Ford's fix is to extend the warranty 10 years or 150,000 miles for the brake booster. I found out about this on going problem with the Edge after the vehicle was salvaged. I talked with my insurance company and their response was too bad for you. I wanted the brake booster checked out. Ford should be recalling all the effected vehicles now, before somebody is killed. There have been over 50 complaints filed with NHTSA since 2012.

- Fenton, MI, USA

Jun 262015

Edge

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. While driving at 55 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle failed to stop. The contact had to depress the brake pedal multiple times to stop the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 76,285.

- Sanger, CA, USA

Sep 182013

Edge

Sept 2013 - brake pedal went to floor in reverse with very little response. Moving forward almost no response from brakes and almost hit a car crossing in front. At the Ford dealer, the component test master cylinder failed and also noted with brake pedal whistle noise when pedal completely on the floor. Replaced the booster and master cylinder under warranty. July 2014 - brake problem intermittently recurs. Brake pedal sometimes goes all the way to the floor when the car is started. Ford dealer could not replicate problem. July 2015 - at car start, brake is very firm then slowly goes all the way to floor. This occurs about every other time the car is started. This appears to be the same issue described in the recent Ford F-150 investigation of the electric vacuum assist pump.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Apr 232014

Edge

Stop and go traffic. Stopped at traffic signal 4 cars back. Traffic started moving on green light, I tapped my brakes 3X, 4th time no brakes. I rolled into the back of a Jeep slowly, 2mph, while standing on my brake pedal with no hydraulic pressure at all. We moved to the shopping mall parking lot, brake pressure was restored. Happened only when pumping brakes repeatedly at slow rate of speed. Brought vehicle to dealer. Told brake booster would have to be replaced. Customer satisfaction program # 13N02.completed 7/29/14. Previously ran vehicle health report through mysync = brakes ok. Feb'14 - oil change at dealership. Asked about letter I received about brake booster but was told "I wasn't ready for that just yet. I would feel spongy brakes before it needed replacing". they drove my vehicle into bay and tech said brakes were fine. Obviously not. Brakes failed without warning. 77% increase in premiums due to merit rating board, insurance agent said they could do nothing about surcharge (10 yr old Jeep bumper that was already rusted out).

- Burlington, MA, USA

Apr 232014

- Burlington, MA, USA

Jun 082015

Edge

The brake rotors are causing the vehicle to vibrate when applying the brake at moderate speeds.

- Norfolk, VA, USA