2012 Ford Edge brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Edge:

2012 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

May 082015

Edge

Vehicle suddenly and without any warning became incredibly difficult to bring to a stop. This occurred within 3 weeks of a dealer multi-point inspection/servicing. Brakes seized up and I would have to slam down on them to get the car to stop. Problem onset in a parking lot and I was unable to stop and actually struck a parking bumper. Apparently my brake booster required replacement. Unlike asserted in Ford's 13N02 bulletin, this did affect ability to brake and onset without any warning. I believe this is a significant safety defect.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Apr 032015

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving down the road and was coming to a stop sign by our local elementary school. The brakes felt like they were not working and that I was not going to stop! the only way I could get it to stop was to push very hard. Thank the good lord that I didn't have to stop on a dime for a child walking across the school! the brakes are still that way today and it is not safe at all to drive. We took it to our local shop to verify that the brakes pads were ok, which they were. We have an appointment for our local Ford shop. After reviewing many complaints, it sounds as though this is a known problem, (brake booster) and Ford needs to have a recall on this. We have already spend $75 having the shop look at the brake pads, and now it will probably cost us another $300-$400, which is not right for a vehicle that has less than 45,000 miles on it and is a 2012. NHTSA needs to contact Ford and make them recall this, as it sounds like there are so many out there with the same problem. This is a huge safety issue and someone can be killed over this! Ford needs to be held accountable over this! read more at... www.motortrend.com/cars/2012/Ford/Edge/recalls/

- Sabetha, KS, USA

Mar 082015

Edge 6-cyl

Went to stop behind a truck at a red light and when I pushed down on the brake petal it felt spongy and my car would not stop until I pushed extremely hard. Then my petal kept going down further to the floor. I place my car in park gear and continued to hold the brake petal down. My car began making a squealing noise which stopped when I let the brake petal up. I pulled to the right and drove a couple more blocks with brakes still spongy and not very responsive. I'm afraid to drive the car now and will have it towed in. I was suppose to drive to my cabin yesterday which has a 35 min drive through a canyon with a 500 foot cliff on one side. Thankfully I did not go!

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Mar 052015

Edge 6-cyl

Ford Edge sport 2012. Strange hissing sound when applying brakes. I have to apply slightly more pressure before vehicle comes to a complete stop. Possible power brake booster failure as indicated by Ford notice "customer satisfaction program 13N02."

- La Puente, CA, USA

Feb 242015

Edge 4-cyl

Dramatic and sudden low pressure in brakes. Pitch sound when you put the brake to end. High risk of collusion! Ford said no recall related exist, but more than that Ford dealer formerly said is no problem. I went to pep boys (for a third verification) and the conclusion issue was the booster replacement needed. A lot of people having similar complaint in the same vehicle/model/year as I evidenced here in the NHTSA web page. An investigation on this is suggested. Brakes are security!!!! thanks.

- Ponce, PR, USA

Dec 202014

Edge

Noticed while driving that the brakes felt and sounded different then they had - especially when trying to stop the vehicle, the brakes sounded as though they were releasing air and the pedal was either hard to press down or was too easily compressed - going all the way to the floor. Had an appointment for service and asked that Ford check the brakes. They checked them and reported back to me that there may be an issue with the booster (as they had experienced this same problem on other cars) but that safety wise the vehicle was fine. Continued to drive that following week only to find that on several different occasions I was unable to stop the vehicle without pressing down as hard as possible on the brakes. Luckily my speed while experiencing this malfunction was low enough that the vehicle stopped. After doing research I found that several other folks had this same issue - I'm beyond frustrated to know that Ford is aware of the safety factors involved and that they have not issued a recall!! also, frustrated that I specifically asked for the brakes to be checked and that the service department did not take that opportunity to fix the problem.

- Scituate, MA, USA

Nov 012014

Edge

Almost ran my 2012 Edge into the back of an 18 wheeler today with my son in the car when my brakes failed! I immediately went to express oil since the service dept at the dealership had already closed for the day. They said it was the brake booster and master cylinder causing the issue. Since it should still be under warranty I elected to take it straight to the dealership first thing Monday am. One of the guys followed me home to ensure we made it safely. My car stalled 3 times in a 10 mile radius, again 3 more times that I could've been the cause of an accident! I do not feel safe driving this car and it should not be having such issues at almost 3 years old with 57K miles on it! I have done a web search and this seems to be a common issue! why has there not been a recall? this a very serious issue that could've easily cost us our lives and possibly others today if I had not had the space to swerve to avoid collision! for the past few weeks the brakes have not felt "right", they felt "airy" and recently began making a high pitched squealing/hissing sound. They would go from being very stiff to sinking right into the floor. On several occasions I had to stomp on the brakes to get the car to stop. I'm terrified to drive the car even to the dealership Monday morning.

- Hoover, AL, USA

Sep 262014

Edge

Periodically when applying the brakes they become very weak not stopping the vehicle unless brake is stomped on. Two different drivers listed above. Took to dealership today 09-29-14. They called back today to explain that the brake booster is defective and will take between 1-2 weeks because part is not in stock and they are back ordered. Dealer nice and gave us rental. This almost caused accident today and on Saturday as almost missed stopping and almost rolling into intersection. Good thing my wife and I are strong and could get it stopped. We just hope that this does not cause someone to have a bad accident. Should be recalled!

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Aug 222014

Edge 6-cyl

The brakes have been acting funny for the last week and on 8/22/2014 upon pulling into my garage I almost drove thru the wall into my master bedroom. I contacted elk grove Ford the local dealer and took my vehicle into them the next day. I explained to them that when pressing on the brake it was either really stiff and it acted as if the brake pedal did not want to press down or it would go all the way to the floor and it would make a hissing sound. This sound when the pedal would go all the way to the floor would sound like the air being let out of a baloon. Sometimes you would have to pump on the brake to get the car to stop. When I told this to the service advisor he actually laughed at me. Aproximately 2 hours later I was told my car was ready. I was like great what was wrong with my brakes? he stated "it is the brake booster pump and it is on national backorder, we have no idea of how long it is going to be. It may be a month and it may be 6 months." This is putting my life in jeapordy having to drive a car with faulty brakes.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Jul 152014

Edge 6-cyl

When I went to step on brakes they went all the way to the floor. Was making a squishy noise as well. Had to replace the power booster?

- Corryton, TN, USA

Aug 232014

Edge

Brakes make hissing noise and pedal is very hard while car is in park or drive. Car does not stop normally and requires large space to coast to stop. Brake booster failure. Unsafe to drive without fear of collision.

- Big Pine Key, FL, USA

Aug 122014

Edge 4-cyl

Brakes started becoming difficult to apply regardless of speed, etc. Most often most difficult to apply after the car was shut off for a period of time. Took the car to the dealer and they replaced the booster. Service representative attempted to back the car out of the service bay the booster failed. Couldn't stop the car so he put it in drive and it lunged forward and hit a car lift, creasing the front bumper, before it stopped. Attempted to replace the booster and the dealer said it "failed" in the box. Number three booster was installed and it failed. Master cylinder also failed. The dealer claims the new master cylinder and the fourth booster is working fine. Car in the body shop getting the front bumper repaired. Ford regional customer care representative was to call me and three days have passed without any response. No one care tell me Ford has corrected anything. All they are doing is throwing parts with an attempt it will fix itself.

- Washington, UT, USA

Aug 012014

Edge 6-cyl

Brakes were really hard to press to get car to stop. Frequency of occurrence increased. Key incident was difficulty stopping at stop sign when a family was crossing street in front of me. Had to press really hard on brakes to stop. Brought into dealer on 8/19/2014. Told me it was issue with booster and part is on back order, so had to give me a rental car for 2-3 weeks (had premium warranty service). Based on the number of problems I see on this site, when is Ford going to issue a recall" we are talking brakes!!!!!!! does someone have to die or be injured before something is done"

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 182014

Edge

Pulling out of parking space and noticed brakes felt different. Not depressing to normal amount. Pulled forward and when coming to stop sign again noticed the difference in the brake pedal movement but now also the vehicle did not stop as quickly as it used.to. It slowed but was never able to get it to a complete stop, seemed like it coasted to a stop. After driving a few miles brakes returned to normal. Next day experienced the same thing except now the vehicle does not come to a complete stop, it coasts to a stop at all times now. Also have to put extreme pressure to get the vehicle to begin to slow down, much less stop the car. Research online shows many others experiencing the same problem. Will be taking vehicle to dealership on next day off.

- Bluffton, SC, USA

Aug 052014

Edge

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. The contact stated while driving at various speeds, the brake pedal became extremely hard to depress and the vehicle made a loud hissing sound when backing up a boat. The contact mentioned that the brakes failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the brake booster failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the brake pedal still fell spongy whenever it was depressed. The manufacturer was not made of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000.

- La Port City, IA, USA

Aug 122014

Edge 6-cyl

When I apply pressure to the brakes the car would not stop. It would slow down, but never come to a complete stop. We were just at the dealership getting our vehicle serviced and received no mention of a recall.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jul 312014

Edge 6-cyl

July 31, 2014 - I ran a red light when the brakes on my 2012 Edge failed. It felt as if there was zero pressure & the brake pedal sunk all the way to the floor. After pumping them, or really "standing" on the pedal, the car finally slowed down. After this incident, there was an audible "hiss" when the brakes were applied. I had noticed for several weeks prior to July 31st, my brakes felt "different". when pressure applied for push button start, they felt very stiff. At other times, when applying pressure to slow or stop completely, considerably more pressure was necessary than had been previously adequate. The next day (August 1st), our local Ford service center confirmed that my model was under the extended warranty for the brake vacuum booster. However, the part is on back order & there is no eta for a new part. I expect my car to be there several weeks, if not months. Why is this item not a national recall?! this is a serious, known, issue that could result in serious injury or death.

- Kennewick, WA, USA

Jul 312014

Edge 6-cyl

Applied the brakes and I was not stopping the vehicle. I heard a hissing noise and the brake pedal was extremely stiff but I was unable to apply enough pedal force to actuate the brakes. I then pumped the brakes and the pedal almost went to the floor and the vehicle brakes applied but way too much and the car came to an abrupt stop. I took the car to a Ford dealer and they said it was the brake booster. Dealer drove car and determined it was unsafe to drive. Ford regional said there was a program for the brake booster and that according to the Ford tech team the car was safe to drive until a repair part could be located. This is not the case. The brakes do not work. Both I and the dealer service staff agree that there is a major issue involving the brake booster making the car unsafe. Car has been at dealer since 7/31/14. No parts available and car is undrivable. How this car passed FMVSS 135 and 136 is beyond me.

- Darien, IL, USA

Jul 052014

Edge 6-cyl

I purchased a 2012 Edge sel used from a Ford dealer with 28,900 miles on it in June. While on vacation with the family this month (July) was backing vehicle up and when I applied a significant amount of brake pedal pressure, the vehicle did not stop but only slowed. I then had to stomp on the brake to stop the vehicle and avoid hitting a parked car behind me. The issue got worse over the next two weeks, so I took it to a Ford dealer who told me that it was a bad brake booster. They installed a "new" one under csp 13N02 and said it was "good-to-go". did not even get off the lot when I noticed there was still the same problem with the brakes. Drove it back into the service area carefully. Ford tech said the new brake booster they put on was bad as well! really" is anyone from Ford doing audits on that vendor??" so now I have to wait until August 15th which is the estimated date of repair completion as the "new" brake booster is on back order nation wide. My car will now be sitting on the Ford lot almost as long as it was sitting in my garage. This is an immediate safety issue and needs to be addressed as such.

- Crestwood, KY, USA

Jun 302014

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving around 55 mph on the freeway and went to apply the brakes. The brake pedal went straight to the floor with minimal slowing of car. If I really needed to stop the car I would have been in an accident. I used the emergency brake to control car. Went to dealer and they stated this was a common issue with Ford Edge with the power brake booster pump failing. This hazard could have resulted in a significant accident for me had it failed when I needed a immediate stop to car. I sent Ford this same feedback today via the Ford service feedback form. My car is sitting in the shop for multiple weeks since the part is on national backorder. This tells me this issue is a trend in the car model and more proactive action should be taken by Ford. Makes me very concerned how close I was to a possible significant accident with possible injuries.

- Woodbury, MN, USA