2012 Ford Edge brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Edge:

2012 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

May 132013

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving down a steep hill (parking lot from work) this leads onto a busy avenue. When I pressed on the brakes I noticed my vehicle rolled onto the street, I could not stop. I quickly turned right. Thank god there were no cars coming. However, had I not quickly turn, the car would have rolled right onto the center of the street and I would have gotten side swapped both ways. I could not pull over so I drove slow going under 10 mph and turned on to a road and pulled into a pharmacy parking lot in which I let the car roll into a parking space and I called the towing company and had it towed to the dealer I purchased it from. I was told yesterday that the brake booster failed. After asking what it was, I then asked why and how did it fail. They stated it was defected and things like this happen and that is why new cars have warranty's. they were waiting to receive the part so they can replace it. I'm not confident that my car is safe and I told them I had a 5 year old daughter and was concerned about the safety of the car. The dealer said they can't guarantee nothing else will happen, but that is why new cars are under warranty. I'm not confident anymore and Ford should really begin recalling these brake boosters. I could have died. It was god watching over me that I'm unharmed. Something needs to be done soon!

- Wethersfield, CT, USA

Apr 102013

Edge

On several occasions either backing out of garage/parking space or stopping at red light/stop sign there was a need to apply extremely hard pressure on brake pedal to stop the car completely. Without extremely hard pressure on the brake pedal, the car rolled to a stop while pressure was applied to brake pedal. Updated 3/5/14

- Cordova, TN, USA

Apr 012013

Edge

On 2 back to back occasions backing out of garage and down the driveway, which is rather steep, there was needed an extremely hard pressure on brake pedal to stop the car. It was like stopping a car without power brakes, like when the engine is off. Once car was on flat road it braked normally. There is a similar complaint noted about this model year Edge. Updated 3/5/14

- La Quinta, CA, USA

Jul 292012

Edge 6-cyl

Car was in reverse, backing out of a garage. The power brakes failed although I was still able to stop the car by pressing hard on the pedal. It was as if the power-assist went out & pedal traveled all the way to the floor. Problem repeated, again when in reverse and parallel parking, on 7/31. Had the car checked at the Ford dealer on 8/4 but they did not identify a problem. Symptoms repeated on 8/10 while backing out of a parking space and on 8/19, also while backing out of a parking space. So far this has only happened at low speed while the car is in reverse, but I fear it will happen while driving at normal speed. This car is unsafe to drive. Updated 3/5/14

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

May 222012

Edge

Driver: 83 year old woman... new auto: Ford Edge 2012, no injuries, vehicle damage approx $2000 no property damage..... problem: Lady stepped on accelerator rather than brake.... reason: The brake pedal at rest is higher than the accelerator pedal at rest. The driver is used to an older (Chrysler 2009) vehicle which there was not an appreciable difference in pedal height, stepped on the accelerator pedal, thinking she was stepping on the brake.... resolution: Discussing the incident, the woman was seated in the Ford Edge and asked to see if she felt a difference in height of the brake vs accelerator pedals. She did, and has since practiced going between pedals, lifting her foot to access the brake, rather than merely sliding her foot to the left........ it is this writers opinion that many of the unexplained accidents where a person, especially when an elderly person is driving, has mistook the accelerator for the brake is due to the height of pedal difference................. it might be wise to make aware this problem to manufacturers and the public......... thanks

- Laceys Spring, AL, USA