2012 Ford Edge brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Edge:

2012 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Aug 242016

Brakes made a hissing sound when pressed and brake pedal went to the floor when pressed. When backing up there were hardly any brakes available to stop. Took it into a mechanic and they had to replace the power brake booster. This is not simply replacing the brake pads but this is a mechanical issue on a vehicle that is only 4 years old. Huge safety issue.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Aug 172016

I was driving and went to stop brake pedal went to the floor. Brake booster has been replaced and it still has issues. Sometimes the brakes work and sometimes they don't. the Ford dealership is no help. They said my brakes are fine. They are not fine. I'm not sure what to do.

- Belva, WV, USA

Aug 162016

17 year old driving her car, was on a slight incline, brakes failed, she almost rolled into the car behind her, but she was able to turn in the turning lane and make a right turn and did the responsible thing, call mom and dad after getting into a parking lot. Hubby drove it home and he had to slam the pedal down to get the brakes, to work, we are waiting for dealership to open in the morning to tow this vehicle to get looked at as it is too dangerous to drive.

- Mableton, GA, USA

Aug 122016

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 5 mph and reversing on an incline, the brakes failed. The vehicle was driven to the contact's residence and not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 47,000.

- Denison, TX, USA

Aug 012016

Takata recall power brake booster bad on my 2012 Ford Edge basically, the car has a delayed hard stop.

- Sylvania, OH, USA

Jun 232016

Brakes are not operating properly, when I apply brakes it sounds like air deflating.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Jun 172016

Fsa 13N02 brake booster extended warranty. My first complaint is that this fsa is not a "safety recall" but classified as a customer satisfaction action if someone complains about their brakes. I was pulling out onto a very busy street and seconds away from getting on the interstate when my brakes failed, I could not stop. My vehicle was in the shop for a different problem and supposedly brakes inspected as a "service to me" the day before this incident occurred. My 1st question is why was I not notified of this potential safety hazard and 2nd why doesn't Ford consider this a safety issue. I was very lucky nothing happened to me, as I was on my way out of town for a trip. I find this very irresponsible on Ford's part and something should be done about it. I am very seriously looking at a different manufacturer to make my next car.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Apr 082016

Driving the vehicle on the freeway when the brakes took a substantial amount of force to stop. The car was sent to a Ford licensed dealership where they diagnosed the brake booster has failed as well as air in the brake lines.

- Fullerton, CA, USA

Apr 062016

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. While driving 65 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but it took a greater amount of time to stop the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake booster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact was aware of a voluntary service campaign by the manufacturer addressing the failure, in which the VIN was included. The failure mileage was 56,699.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Aug 032015

The drivers side door alarm always goes off. Constant dinging, and the interior lights remain on. I have had to replace 1 battery already. Driving at night, especially in reverse, is terribly difficult with the lights on. The door is securely shut, however, that does not stop the alarm. The other issue I've had is the brake booster. I thought it was just the brakes so got those fixed and then stopping was near impossible. I had to push the pedal entirely to the floor to come to a slow stop. Should I have had to come to a quick stop, that would have been impossible. My husband did some research to see that this is a common problem so we went to get it repaired. However, it was costly and could have been a total disaster. The car was only 3 years old at the time.

- Toledo, OH, USA

May 032016

While leaving the parking lot at work my wife's brakes failed without warning, she was lucky no cars were coming or she would have been hit. Scary considering my wife and daughter ride in this car everyday, and we took it on vacation to Colorado, just glad the brake didnt fail in the mountains. It was really just luck, cant believe that there hasn't been a mandatory recall for this problem. Well the good news is Ford is paying for the repair, thanks for stepping up after the fact, instead of doing what you should have done when you knew you had a problem. Recall

- Loda, IL, USA

Apr 192016

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. While driving 40 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond without warning. The contact had to pump the brake pedal to get the vehicle to stop. Also, the driver side door ajar light illuminated when the door was closed and the vehicle alarm sounds off at various times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The failure mileage was 56,500.

- Mount Washington, KY, USA

Apr 152016

I purchased my low mileage Edge from local Ford dealer. Experiencing periodic issue with car transmission lag or jerking when accelerating from stop, as at a stop sign or pulling out of parking lots. Took to dealer several times, they can't duplicate issue, no codes. More recently the backup camera has intermittently failed. No backup guidelines are present, sometimes backup camera is visible, then goes black, other times doesn't work at all. Now my brakes are giving me issues. The pedal will either be very hard to press, as in losing power braking when a vehicle dies. Then the pedal may go all the way to the floor. Did experience something similar while in fast food drive thru, foot on brake, then brake losing pressure and pedal depressing to floor. I put the vehicle in park, then the "service advance track: Light came on briefly. This vehicle is not safe and once I make a list of all of the service bulletins it's going to the dealer for repair. Last time I went the idiot at the service counter put that I said the vehicle "stalled". never did I say that happened. I said there was a lag in acceleration and the feeling like a transmission jerking into gear. Piece of junk Ford, don't know what I was thinking buying it. All of these complaints on this site, amazing there aren't more accidents. Shame on you Ford! you used to make quality products.

- Cleveland, TN, USA

Mar 142016

My door ajar light is coming on. The dome light is staying on and the shirt to park is coming on when this happens. My brakes went out while I was driving down a busy highway. I was told that for extended the warranty on the brake bosster but this is not a recall.... I could have been killed! I would like to have know that my life was in danger before this happened.

- Brandon, MS, USA

Mar 122016

Vehicle has approx. 51K miles and was showing no problems with brakes until this weekend. While driving out of town, I noticed the brake pedal didn't feel normal. I was having to press a little harder than usual. It got to the point where I had to mash down hard to get the vehicle to stop. I checked brake fluid, but reservoir was full. I was able to get back home safely but I did have some close calls when having to brake due to fact that it was taking longer distance to stop.

- Sandia, TX, USA

Feb 292016

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving at 5 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the brake booster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jan 012016

Started having problems with braking hard pedal at around 63000 miles. At the same time the vehicle would shut down while stopped in traffic or while vehicle is in park mode.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Feb 092016

Brakes functioned perfectly prior to depressing the brake pedal in traffic (on a major city street with the vehicle moving at approximately 40 mph) and the vehicle did not stop. The pedal was difficult to depress, but with extreme pressure, could be pushed all the way to the floor, resulting in a whistle or beep sound. The vehicle became (and remains almost 24 hours later) unsafe to drive because it cannot be stopped within a reasonable distance. Internet research indicates this to be a known problem with the 2012 Ford Edge brake system, and references problems with brake booster. There should be a safety-related recall mandated for this vehicle, given the propensity for suddenly failed brakes to cause serious accidents or injuries.

- Naples, FL, USA

Dec 242015

When I place my foot on the brake to start the car, and I leave my foot on brake paddle there is a humming noise that happens, this also happens when I place car in reverse and leave my foot on brake. Also there has been two times when I was stopping the car that the brake paddle went to the floor and the car was not stopping. Once when I was driving across a parking lot and stopping to wait to pull out and once when I was pulling into a parking space. Both of these incidents happened on the same day.

- Troutman, NC, USA

Dec 242015

Brake booster failed with no prior warning. Sitting at stop light, brake pedal went to the floor and car lundged forward into intersection. Luckily we were not hit. Contacted Ford dealer and they informed me it is "very" common failure and it was covered under extended warranty negotiated by Ford to prevent a recall? I see Ford who won that negotiation.. it is nice that this won't cost me any money but it has or will surely cost someone their life(s). Unbelievable that the dealer, NHTSA and Ford know about this problem and no notice is sent to tens of thousands of families driving kids around in death traps" if that is the best you can negotiate at NHTSA, given a choice I'd rather have been notified of the issue rather than have Ford pay for the repair. At least families could make the wise decision not to drive the car. Why do we have government agencies if this is allowed? I see hundreds of complaints all over the web and no recall??? no notice?? how many other timebombs have been sucessfully negotiated to remain on our roads putting families at risk by manufacturers"

- China Grove, NC, USA