3.3

2012 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Edge:

2012 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 2 of 18)

Oct 172016

Edge 6-cyl

Issue - 'shift to park' warning indicator is shown when the vehicle is parked and the shifter is in the 'P' position. Doors cannot be locked and internal/external lights remain on while in this 'shift to park' position draining the battery. While foot brake pedal is engaged, shifting away from 'P' and back to 'P' sometimes registers the vehicle as in the correct park position. Repeat until warning message is gone. The vehicle is stationary on a flat surface but I am not sure if the vehicle is really parked since it's warning I'm not but the shifter is in the 'P' position. I dare not try this on a hill--and always the brake pedal engaged while I'm fiddling with the hand shifter. When did this happen? at least 4 times a week for a year.

- La Puente, CA, USA

Jan 152015

Edge

After closing the front drivers door, the dash light indicates that the door is not closed and latched. I push on the door and the latch has caught. While driving, the system still sees the door as unlatched. I have played with the latching mechanism and I can get the sensor to see the door closed in about 1 out of 50 attempts. Most of the time I drive around with the system seeing the door as open. I have not gotten it changed because I fear the replacement will fail too.

- Racine, WI, USA

Jan 042016

Edge

Driver side door ajar warning light and message displayed after entering or exiting the vehicle even though the door is shut. Problem occurs intermittently, seemingly more often when outside temperatures reach above 70 degrees. Attempts to open and shut the door multiple times often does not resolve the issue. When issue occurs the doors do not lock automatically when the vehicle begins moving, interior lights remain on. Occurs when starting to drive the vehicle or when parking. If parking, when the key fob "lock" button is pushed the horn honks twice rather than the normal single honk, indicating that the security alarm is not activated. Problem occurred within the first 10K miles and was fixed by Ford dealership under warranty. Problem started to occur again around 35K miles (Jan 2016).

- Monroe, WA, USA

Sep 292016

Edge

"door ajar" sensor began appearing on dashboard sporadically for 1 month. All doors were closed per normal, door locks were negative function while sensor active and vehicle was either parked or moving. After 1 month, sensor was on permanently. Door latch/S rr'd at Ford dealership where this used cpo Edge was purchased 13 months prior. Cost of repair: $540. Service manager has advised me that in the event of a recall for this issue, I will be reimbursed the entire amount by Ford. Yeah...right!

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Aug 032015

Edge

Driver side door does not close properly. Door ajar light stays on. Happens more in warm weather than cold. Has cause dome lights to stay on or come on intermittently. If car not driven for a day or two, has caused battery to drain completely. Roadside assistance has had to be called on multiple occasions. Has been happening for over a year. When car is in motion, car door ajar is constantly on, and anytime you break to a near stop, the alarm bell chimes.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Jan 052016

Edge

Soon after purchasing a used 2012 Edge, the open door light on the dash came on and would not go off. All doors were closed. Also the doors would not lock when the light came on which became a safety hazard particularly when transporting children. Brought it to my mechanic and he said the door latch and light switch was one module and that it had to be replaced to the tune of about $500. Once replaced the problem was solved. Looking online, this is a really common problem. I feel its a defect that should be recalled and replaced!

- Windsor Locks, CT, USA

Sep 142016

Edge 6-cyl

My Ford Edge has all the problematic symptoms displayed by the shifter warning "shift into park" after the car is already in park. This is a well known situation and Ford says it's not a safety issue. My car has now progressed to displaying this same message nearly every time we slow down to stop at an intersection then displays the message again as we accelerate to move through the intersection. With this increasing alarm/warning display the car has also quit moving into the preset seat and mirror adjustment settings, decreasing drivers field of vision without constant adjustments. The consistent alarms sounding of "shift into park" and "door ajar" (currently being investigated) is very distracting, especially when slowing or accelerating to make traffic change maneuvers. These alarms are much more distracting than "hands free" phone calls you are checking alarms while changing lanes, merging into traffic, or navigating intersections etc. I give an approximate speed and incident date as these are ongoing continuing problems. Thank you for your attention to this matter.

- Bend, OR, USA

May 122014

Edge

The driver door is fully closed and the dashboard light comes on stating the door is ajar. Interior light will not turn off. The door will not lock and batt drains.

- Noblesville, IN, USA

Oct 032016

Edge

Door ajar light remains on, even though the door is properly closed. Doors will not lock while the door ajar light is active. Interior lights will not go off while the door ajar light is active.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 012016

Edge

Door ajar warning light comes on when door is closed. With that problem it leaves lights on and draining battery. I had vehicle repaired at Ford dealer at a cost of $368. Dealer stated that this problem is somewhat common but no Ford recall issued.

- Wrentham, MA, USA

Oct 012016

Edge

Upon starting the vehicle the "driver door ajar" light stays on, closing the door numerous times and light will not go out and the "shift into park" light comes on when letting off the brake like when I put it in reverse, or at every stop this is annoying. Especially in traffic the chime goes off (driver door ajar or shift into park)and your trying to keep from causing an accident checking out the lights to see why the chime is going off. This is frustrating.

- Sallisaw, OK, USA

Sep 022015

Edge

Our 2012 Ford Edge dashboard indicates "door ajar" when the doors are completely shut. The problem is with the driver side door and will cause both the interior lights to remain lit and the factory alarm to activate. We paid the local Ford dealer $135.60 (9/02/15 invoice attached) for their repair of the issue but the erroneous "door ajar" warning continues to occur. Now we treat the problem ourselves by scouring the door latch with contact cleaner and a toothbrush. But like the dealer fix, this is only temporary. The "safety" issue for us is the prospect of a dead battery interrupting what would ideally be a prompt exit from a parking garage, train station or airport parking lot, late at night. Ford knows about the problem and has thus far done nothing to extend their warranty or issue a replacement for the faulty latch mechanism. Many amateur fixes can be found on youtube. Why they had to outfit a latch with fickle electronics while doing away with a trusty door jamb plunger switch is beyond me!

- Cheshire, CT, USA

Sep 062016

Edge

Drivers side door ajar light stays on the whole time during driving conditions on my 2012 Ford Edge, the dome light also stays on making it very difficult to drive the car in the night time. When parked the dome lights stay on during this period also. This started happening on a fulltime basis in Sept 2016

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Sep 292016

Edge

"door ajar" - my 2012 Ford Edge sel will have this problem on a daily basis intermittently throughout the day. Door will be closed & dash will light with door ajar warning. At times the warning will go away & auto lock will lock after I start driving. Other times I can make a long drive & open & reclose the door numerous times without the warning going away. Because the door just randomly thinks it's unlocked during the day and night time this in turn makes my sync system interior lights & sometimes headlights and taillights cycle on and stay on for different intervals as witnessed by my many neighbors, husband & myself. This has had a drain on my battery & we have had to replace it & jump it before. Also, we are expecting our first child & are very concerned about this issue because we cannot make the car think that the door should be locked. We live in Texas where it's quite hot & can be cold for infant in the winter I need to be able to have a remote starter to pre-heat & pre-cool my vehicle for the baby. I cannot leave vehicle unlocked when running because I have a neighbor with dementia who will get in the vehicle & try to drive away so for me this is a huge safety concern. This also gives Ford a bad reputation just by everyone in my subdivision seeing this car and it's erratic cycling of lights interior and exterior. If someone is trying to mug me or rape me I cannot even locked myself in my vehicle because it will lock the door and they will automatically unlock when the vehicle is running because my door "is ajar". I have read many postings all over the internet & youtube with people having the same problem with many Ford especially a 2012 Ford Edge. This is our fifth Ford vehicle for my husband & myself. My dad worked for Ford for a number of years & was a manager at a Ford, but safety issues for my family like this making me not want another.

- Luling, TX, USA

Sep 122016

Edge

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. While accelerating from a stop, the door ajar warning indicator illuminated for the driver's side door. The contact also stated that the doors would not lock. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was informed that there was no warranty and the repair would be at the contact's expense. The manufacturer was not aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 49,000.

- Leesburg, FL, USA

Jan 012016

Edge

Drivers side door alarm shows door ajar when it is not. Interior lights stay on. No amount of door closing makes it stop. It was inconsistent, now it happens constantly.

- Barrington, IL, USA

Sep 032016

Edge

Vehicle says that the drivers side door is ajar but the door is closed and latched. Causing the vehicle not to lock and the interior lights to stay on.

- Warsaw, IN, USA

Aug 012016

Edge

Door ajar light remains on while driving, dings each time when I accelerate after coming to a stop, message is "shift to park".

- Northville, MI, USA

Sep 042016

Edge

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the driver side door ajar indicator was constantly illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 52,000.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Sep 012016

Edge

The front door ajar light started coming on and staying on no matter how you slammed the door shut (it was not ajar). When stopping it would say to put it in park and shut the door. When parked the inside lights would remain on, draining the battery, ruining the battery.

- Castle Rock, CO, USA