3.3

2012 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Edge:

2012 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 2 of 17)

Sep 022015

Edge

Our 2012 Ford Edge dashboard indicates "door ajar" when the doors are completely shut. The problem is with the driver side door and will cause both the interior lights to remain lit and the factory alarm to activate. We paid the local Ford dealer $135.60 (9/02/15 invoice attached) for their repair of the issue but the erroneous "door ajar" warning continues to occur. Now we treat the problem ourselves by scouring the door latch with contact cleaner and a toothbrush. But like the dealer fix, this is only temporary. The "safety" issue for us is the prospect of a dead battery interrupting what would ideally be a prompt exit from a parking garage, train station or airport parking lot, late at night. Ford knows about the problem and has thus far done nothing to extend their warranty or issue a replacement for the faulty latch mechanism. Many amateur fixes can be found on youtube. Why they had to outfit a latch with fickle electronics while doing away with a trusty door jamb plunger switch is beyond me!

- Cheshire, CT, USA

Sep 062016

Edge

Drivers side door ajar light stays on the whole time during driving conditions on my 2012 Ford Edge, the dome light also stays on making it very difficult to drive the car in the night time. When parked the dome lights stay on during this period also. This started happening on a fulltime basis in Sept 2016

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Sep 292016

Edge

"door ajar" - my 2012 Ford Edge sel will have this problem on a daily basis intermittently throughout the day. Door will be closed & dash will light with door ajar warning. At times the warning will go away & auto lock will lock after I start driving. Other times I can make a long drive & open & reclose the door numerous times without the warning going away. Because the door just randomly thinks it's unlocked during the day and night time this in turn makes my sync system interior lights & sometimes headlights and taillights cycle on and stay on for different intervals as witnessed by my many neighbors, husband & myself. This has had a drain on my battery & we have had to replace it & jump it before. Also, we are expecting our first child & are very concerned about this issue because we cannot make the car think that the door should be locked. We live in Texas where it's quite hot & can be cold for infant in the winter I need to be able to have a remote starter to pre-heat & pre-cool my vehicle for the baby. I cannot leave vehicle unlocked when running because I have a neighbor with dementia who will get in the vehicle & try to drive away so for me this is a huge safety concern. This also gives Ford a bad reputation just by everyone in my subdivision seeing this car and it's erratic cycling of lights interior and exterior. If someone is trying to mug me or rape me I cannot even locked myself in my vehicle because it will lock the door and they will automatically unlock when the vehicle is running because my door "is ajar". I have read many postings all over the internet & youtube with people having the same problem with many Ford especially a 2012 Ford Edge. This is our fifth Ford vehicle for my husband & myself. My dad worked for Ford for a number of years & was a manager at a Ford, but safety issues for my family like this making me not want another.

- Luling, TX, USA

Sep 122016

Edge

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. While accelerating from a stop, the door ajar warning indicator illuminated for the driver's side door. The contact also stated that the doors would not lock. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but was informed that there was no warranty and the repair would be at the contact's expense. The manufacturer was not aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 49,000.

- Leesburg, FL, USA

Jan 012016

Edge

Drivers side door alarm shows door ajar when it is not. Interior lights stay on. No amount of door closing makes it stop. It was inconsistent, now it happens constantly.

- Barrington, IL, USA

Sep 032016

Edge

Vehicle says that the drivers side door is ajar but the door is closed and latched. Causing the vehicle not to lock and the interior lights to stay on.

- Warsaw, IN, USA

Aug 012016

Edge

Door ajar light remains on while driving, dings each time when I accelerate after coming to a stop, message is "shift to park".

- Northville, MI, USA

Sep 042016

Edge

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the driver side door ajar indicator was constantly illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 52,000.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Sep 012016

Edge

The front door ajar light started coming on and staying on no matter how you slammed the door shut (it was not ajar). When stopping it would say to put it in park and shut the door. When parked the inside lights would remain on, draining the battery, ruining the battery.

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

Aug 292016

Edge

Drivers door ajar indicator on dash/warning light. Door is securely closed, door ajar light and audible indicator remains on but can be muted by selecting ok. "shift to park" light/indicator comes on when stopped and starting again. Door locks will not auto/manual lock, unlock automatically.

- Schertz, TX, USA

Aug 302016

Edge

Rear passenger door ajar light stays on when door is closed. Started yesterday (August 30). Door is shut but light will not turn off. I researched this and found that it is a common problem with this car but no recall has been issued. I cannot afford to spend more money on something that should be recalled. I just brought the car in for another electrical problem (passenger airbag light was on) two weeks ago which cost over $400 to repair. Please see my previous complaint regarding the airbag light 10899708.

- Woodbridge, CT, USA

Aug 012015

Edge

Both the drivers side rear passenger door and the front passenger door closed sensors stopped working. The door ajar sensor is always on which causes the interior lights to stay on and the door locks to unlock while at highway speeds. This happens 100% of the time. The interior lights do go out once I reach 10 mph but there is no visibility when backing up at night making it dangerous for me and anyone that might be behind me.

- Atascadero, CA, USA

Dec 172013

Edge

Instrument panel saying passenger door ajar when the door is closed when driing. Car locks do not lock due to this message also, several times alarm has gone off on its own both issues have been happening for two years also, while driving there sometimes has been a noise like the transmission is shifting incorrectly

- West Roxbury, MA, USA

Aug 232016

Edge

While driving home from work last week, the drivers door ajar alarm sounded, the interior lights came on and the door locks disengaged. I pulled into a parking lot to re-close the door; which silenced the alarm; but the interior lights stayed on. As I pulled out and got back up to the speed the locks would normally engage, the drivers door alarm sounded again, interior lights remained on and locks never engaged, even when pressing the lock button. Pulled over a 2nd time - with the same result. The third time I pulled off the road, I shut the vehicle off and sat for about 5 minutes. Again, the same plus the shift into park alarm also sounded as soon as I reached speed when the locks should engage. I continued home listening to 2 alarms blare, the interior lights limiting my view and the doors refusing to lock. When I got home, the interior lights stayed on for almost an hour after I got out of the vehicle; it wasn't until I pulled the exterior door handle a couple times that the lights went out. The next morning, my drive to work was uneventful; that evening on my way home, both alarms are going off, interior lights are on and doors will not lock. On the second evening, I noticed the door ajar warning never came on after I started the vehicle until I reached the speed the door locks should have engaged.

- Reynoldsburg, OH, USA

Aug 082016

Edge

Light comes on saying driver door is open, come to a stop starts dinging shift to park. Car cant be locked at times, and will not lock while driving. Ligts will stay on running down the battery if you dont turn them off inside the vehicle. This will be the second time taking to dealership, Ford customer care has been involved in both instances, cost to repair is over $600.

- San Angelo, TX, USA

Aug 242016

Edge

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the door ajar warning light illuminated although the door was closed. As a result, the interior lights remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, the diagnoses was not available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20,346.

- Lumberton, NJ, USA

Jun 012016

Edge

Light comes on saying driver door is open, come to a stop starts dinging shift to park. I am driving right now. Interior lights stay on, sometimes when you open door at night lights don't come on. Doors not locked and open door alarm goes off. Car has been at dealer 3 times last year they had it for a whole week, now problem is started again but much worse

- Parma, OH, USA

Oct 122014

Edge

Door latch on driver side doesn't work properly. Door ajar light is on even when door is closed, so lights in the car stay on and doors can't be locked. Beeping signal is always on as is safety shift to park warning. Very unsafe and distracting. I have to mention that this was"fixed" under warranty but came back shortly after again.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 012016

Edge

Dash showing drivers door is ajar and it is closed, the intearer light stays on and is a distraction driving at nite time which could cause an accident

- Klingerstown, PA, USA

Jun 012014

Edge

Upon starting vehicle driver door ajar warning will not shut off. Dome light continues to stay on. Unable to lock doors while in operation.

- Holland Patent, NY, USA