3.2

2012 Ford Edge engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Edge:

2012 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 192016

Edge

Fuel system stops working (throttle body). Car looses power, pressing gas pedal does nothing. Must get off road very quickly while drifting. Very unsafe.

- Coats, NC, USA

Aug 072016

Edge

Car motor lost power during high way, I was passing other cars and in heavy traffic, I almost crash and put my family and other in a very high risk because the car motor just die while drive 7O miles per hour. My family and I are still in shock!!!! I keep reading about what could be wrong, I took the car to the dealer for service and they recognize the problem very quick, seems to be a known issue, Ford should fix this under a recall, my car is out of warranty (51K miles) and I will have to pay for the fix as well. Somebody is going to get hurt, help fix this please!

- Florence, SC, USA

Apr 262016

Edge 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning repeatedly. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body malfunctioned. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that the parts were on back order. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 72,984....updated 07/07/16 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired on 05/24/16.

- Greenup, IL, USA

Mar 012016

Edge

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. While driving 5 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning in the middle of an intersection after exiting the freeway. The contact stated that the vehicle had an error message that displayed "key not detected" once the vehicle stalled. In addition, the contact placed the vehicle in neutral and was able to restart the vehicle. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Sylmar, CA, USA

Nov 202015

Edge

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Garden Grove, CA, USA

Nov 022015

Edge

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving the vehicle at a low speed, the engine failed. The vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 37,600.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Nov 212015

Edge

On five occasions recently, moving at normal speed on city streets, suddenly lost power and would only crawl along to curb. I stopped the engine, waited a few moments, and started again. It functioned normally. The dealer said all was normal on three separate occasions. I suspect it is the electronic throttle body, but I can't be sure. My dealer won't replace it in spite of all of the similar reports on the net. I consider it to be too risky to drive.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Oct 022015

Edge

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled and the wrench and the oil pressure warning message illuminated. The contact mentioned that prior to the failure being experienced, the oil was changed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,500.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jul 152015

Edge

Sometimes when I put the car into park, I get repeated warnings to "shift to park". if I don't jiggle the button on the shift knob, my seat and other electrical components will not respond. I have to start the truck a few times, put it through the gears (in drive and reverse), then I press the shift release button several times then the warning stops and my driver seat functions to allow me to get out of the car. This is a pain and the dealer said that if the problem couldn't be duplicated, then they cant do anything about it. I have had the truck in 2 times about this - the transmission shifts hard into gear after slowing or coasting and then accelerating. Almost feels like I have hit something when it happens. I'm very concerned, having two toddlers in the truck. I also took video of the parking, shifting into park issue. I just want it fixed....

- O'fallon, MO, USA

Aug 282015

Edge

While driving at 65 miles an hour on a major highway my vehicle completely lost power. The vehicle lost the ability to accelerate, steer and break. Luckily I was able to get it to limp off the shoulder where I turned the vehicle off and it immediately restarted. Traffic was slow so no injury was caused but next time I may not be so lucky. My local Ford dealer is trying to tell me that it is a power steering problem and they will not even listen to the fact that the vehicle lost all power.

- Lake Havasu City , AZ, USA

Sep 012014

Edge

The contact owns a 2012 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 35 mph and attempting to accelerate, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the engine lost power. The vehicle was merged into a parking lot. The next day, the vehicle was restarted and driven to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the throttle body and motor assembly were defective. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 39,000.

- Indian Harbor Beach, FL, USA

Aug 262015

Edge

I was driving in rush hour traffic in the far left lane when my car suddenly and without warning lost all forward momentum. A wrench light came on and it immediately slowed to about 1 mph. I had to cross four lanes of traffic and was able to come to a stop safely in the right median. I turned my car off and restarted it and the light was no longer on. Reading online this seems to be an ongoing problem with no resolution. Ford needs to issue a recall immediately. Being that the car stops immediately and not to a gradual stop this is a huge safety concern of being hit by other drivers while trying to get to safety.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 072015

Edge 6-cyl

While driving with cruise control set, vehicle going up a hill there was a sudden loss of power. The engine died (zero RPM indicated.) a few seconds later, the "low engine oil pressure" warning was displayed. Loss of power steering/brakes. Vehicle was carefully maneuvered off the highway. Attempted to restart repeatedly. Engine would only run for a few seconds, then died. Had vehicle towed to the Ford dealer. No engine trouble codes detected. After sitting overnight, vehicle started and ran without issue. This is a definite safety hazard when a vehicle stalls at high speed on the highway.

- Mitchell, IN, USA

Oct 262014

Edge

I was driving 35 mph on a flat road on a sunny day that was 75 degrees. My Ford Edge all of a sudden lost all power and the AWD off indicator came on alone with a little wrench light. I could not accelerate or do anything. I limped to the side of the road and put it in park when my car began to shake, so I shut it off. I sat there for a few minutes and started it again, tried to go back on the road and it did the exact same thing except the engine light came on. I put it in park and shut it off and turned it back on again. I limped home because it was Sunday and the service department was closed. This has happened 4 times in the past 2 months. I am very upset, and I am 8 months pregnant, I do not want to have to worry about this when I have the baby in the car. I am taking it to the dealership tomorrow, but I do see that there have been other people with the same problem. I do not think I should be responsible for any expenses that may come with this problem.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Sep 152014

Edge 6-cyl

A message warning "shift to park" appears on the car dashboard when the car has already been put into park position. This warning message disallows the driver to turn the car off - shut of the engine. The car is already in park and message light continues to be on display on dashboard.

- Woodbury, MN, USA

Aug 312014

Edge 4-cyl

Vehicle stalled in the middle of a busy freeway. This incident happened after 45 minutes of normal driving with outside temperatures about mid 80's and A/C on minimal level. Just before the incident I was driving at average speed of 65 mph when traffic gradually slowed down to around 20 mph. Without warning vehicle lost engine power and lost power steering in the middle of the interstate highway. All warning lights came on but the radio and fan still on. I struggled with the steering wheel while other drivers passed me as the traffic begun to pick up speed again. I was lucky no one hit me and was able to coast to the median by signaling with my left arm extended outside the window. Since it was a long weekend the local Ford service shop was closed until Tuesday. After two days of testing and checking Ford service couldn't find anything wrong. They checked their database nationwide but no similar concerns were found. I ran the onboard diagnostics and everything is ok. The irony is that the vehicle was in the same local Ford service shop eight days prior to this incident to address a recall and for a 30K miles maintenance check.

- Cypress, CA, USA

Sep 052014

Edge 6-cyl

While driving at 45mph, vehicle lost power to the extent that I had to pull over on the shoulder. A mechanic wrench light appeared on the dash. Vehicle remained running but idle was very erratic. After ignition was turned off, I used a code reader and dtc "P2111" appeared on the reader (throttle body failure). After clearing the code, I restarted the vehicle and engine idle appeared normal. Drove vehicle for 20 miles with no other abnormalities. During a brief review of Ford recalls, tsb's, etc. I am finding that there are known issues with the throttle body on other models but for some reason not the Edge.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Jul 022014

Edge 6-cyl

Car stalled while driving no signs of failure or lights or codes.

- Fajardo, PR, USA

Jun 172013

Edge 6-cyl

On multiple occasions while driving between the speeds of 25mph and 80mph on european roads/highways the car loses ability to accelerate regardless of pressure on gas pedal. I had to pull over, luckily avoiding cars and possible collisions. Car displayed yellow wrench and "AWD off" on left side display. Once in safe area I turned off the car, waited for a few minutes and turned it back on without immediate incident. This happened a total of 7 times within a week, however, after contacting Ford service stateside I was told to go to an italian Ford dealership. However, I stopped at two Ford service centers located in vicenza, italy and the mechanics will not touch my car due to the model not being sold anywhere in europe. The problem stopped up until this past week where it has happened again twice within 3 days at, luckily, low speeds and avoiding all cars/hazards. We will attempt to bring it to a local mechanic in hopes of getting the problem fixed as we are leaving for the states in less than a month due to military pcs orders.

- Apo, AE, USA

Apr 182014

Edge 6-cyl

Driving from columbus, Ohio to louisville, ky I was stuck in slow moving traffic due to an accident on interstate 71 at exit 14. While creeping along, my Edge low oil pressure indicator light came on and the engine cut off leaving the vehicle without power - battery accessories; such as the radio still worked. Best I can describe is similar to the oil pump 'burped'. I pulled into the emergency lane, placed the car in park, restarted the car, allowed to idle for a minute or so and pulled back into traffic. My concern is that the engine power shut down leaving me without power steering or accelerator power. Had this happened at a higher speed, I think it would have been worse. I have driven the car for 3 days since this incident and no issues. I plan to take the vehicle to the dealer this week to see if indicator light memory can be reviewed.

- Fisherville, KY, USA