2012 Ford Edge miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Edge:

2012 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Aug 112015

2012 Ford Edge door latch, Ford Edge door ajar alert/notification - for the past several weeks the notification system thinks a door is ajar when in fact it is not. There are dozens of forums regarding this very same issue and that direct people file a complaint with this website; as most believe Ford should recall said vehicles to correct the manufacturing error that is so blatantly apparent. We have since bought the latch and repaired it. The part cost us $101.15. We feel like we should be reimbursed for this. I loved my vehicle but have really gotten disappointed in it and Ford as a whole.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Dec 012012

Driver door ajar light is always on even when door is completely shut causing my car battery to die from the dome lights always being on.

- Cooperstown, ND, USA

May 012015

It started in May 2015 when you close the driver door, the screen will always display "driver door ajar" and showing the car icon showing the driver door open, and all doors would not lock whether at full stop or when moving. The dashboard screen will display also "shift to park" interchangeably with "driver door ajar" when the vehicle is running. The interior lights will keep on for about 30 mins when in motion and when the car engine is already off.

- Beverly, MA, USA

Jul 072015

The driver door ajar sensor light is faulty. The sensor light will not go off and therefor the doors do not lock and the dome light does not go off. Took my car to the dealership and as soon as I told him the problem he told me what kind of car I was driving. This tells me that I'm not the only one with this problem. I feel as though there should be a recall as there is some danger that the doors do not lock.

- Keareny, NE, USA

Jul 012015

As is common with the Ford Edge, the door ajar issue appeared on my car about a month ago. The dashboard indicates the driver door is open even when closed. This is a big headache as the alarm goes off every time your foot comes off the break after a stop. The keyless door locks also do not function with an "open" door. Beyond the headache, you have the safety issues. If the car thinks the door is open, the automatic door locks will not engage. Additionally, in the evenings the dome light will remain on because it thinks you are in the car with the door open. This could easily leave you stranded with a dead battery. I ended up taking it into a Ford dealership and was charged $560 to replace the latch.

- Oak Park, IL, USA

Jul 222015

I was driving home from work and the driver information center displayed "driver door ajar" when the door was definatly shut and locked. After a few minutes this alarm went away and it returned a few days later on my way to the store. The frequency of this problem has been increasing and now my car alarm sounds off seemingly at will, mid-day or midnight because the computer thinks someone opened the door without the key. Last night it was going off at 4am. I am concerned that interelated safety equipment might not function because the computer thinks the door is open. This problem also prevents the auto-lock function from working, so someone could open my door at a redlight or in traffic. The repair bill for this problem is just over five hundred dollars. This is clearly an example of inferior parts costing the defenseless consumer money and Ford Motor Co. Repeat customers. If you do an online search, you will see that this is a common problem.

- Eagleville, TN, USA

Jun 132013

My 2012 Ford Edge will not clear the driver door ajar warning while I am driving. I slam the door several times and the warning will not disappear! it keeps my dooms light on also. It has been doing it for a couple months now and will not stop. It keeps getting worse.

- Pittsville, WI, USA

Jun 222015

Door ajar comes on when I start the vehicle. This causes the dome light to come on and I can only get the sensor to go off when I drive forward and open and close the door while driving. At night, the dome light prevents me from seeing behind me when reversing, but I'm unable to use my "trick" of going forward and opening and closing the door to get the sensor to go off until I am fully backed up. The sensor also tells my vehicle that the door is open even when I exit the vehicle causing the dome light to stay on all night and I'm worried about it draining the battery.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Mar 102015

After closing the driver's door, I get a door ajar message in the dashboard screen. When parked, interior dome lights remain on and doors will not lock since the vehicle thinks the door is still open. While driving, doors do not lock and notifications repeat after each stop as I release the brake to start accelerating. Repeated door closings may cause the computer to realize that the door is closed and the message may go away, but that solution works less and less often. My Edge is now 5 months out of warranty, but first occurrence was 2 months out of warranty. Ford hq tells me there is no recall on this issue and my dealership wants to charge me $400 to replace the door switch or $500+ if I want a diagnostic to determine if that solution will work, or if there is a larger problem. Online research reveals this problem is rampant across many Ford models and years. They know it's a flaw and refuse to make it right.

- Mount Juliet, TN, USA

Jun 012015

Door latch sensor is defective. "door ajar" light will go on, even when the door is properly closed. It is extremely distracting because it keeps beeping during driving and keeps telling me to shift to park while in motion.

- Sammamish, WA, USA

May 012015

The door ajar sensor in my Ford Edge always read as open, even when the door was closed. Because of this, the interior dome lights stay on even when I am not in the car, draining the battery. Also, the doors will not lock when I am in the car, causing a security concern depending on where I am driving. I bought a new latch mechanism to replace the faulty one. When I removed the faulty one, I noticed that it had filled with water, which is what was causing the malfunction. I was able to install the new one and it works now, but this seems like an issue that will happen again soon.

- Valley View, OH, USA

Jun 152014

The "door ajar" light stays on even when the door is shut securely. When this happens, the interior lights stay on and the doors will not lock while driving. This is very dangerous, particularly if you have children in the car. We had this fixed once for over $150 at a dealership. Now less than a year later we are having the same issue.

- Canyon Country, CA, USA

May 212015

To whom it may concern: My vehicle does not recognize whether my door is opened or closed. I am always concerned that even shutting it may lead to issues because the alert is saying its not is not closed. Will my door radomly open on the highway" if im in and accident will I be thrown out of the car" I have contacted the Ford dealership and even put my car in the shop twice. They gave a temporary fix and really said there was nothing they could about it and the vehicle needed to be recalled in order them to look in to the issue. My girlfriend purchase the car at the same time and she is having the same issue with not only her drivers door but her passenger doors which could endanger he children. Please do something about this. We are afraid that this issue could potentially hurt alot of people.

- Manassas, VA, USA

May 012015

The driver's door will not register closed. This leads to a series of issues including the dome light staying lit (distracting during driving and kills battery), constant alarms (distracting) going off while driving and most importantly the doors will not lock while driving. The last issue was not apparant until my 3 year old opened the rear door while the car was moving. I attempted to manually lock the doors and they would not lock. When presented to Ford we were given a quote of $500 and despite this being an issue in other models where its been recalled, they offered no concession to their customers. The inability to lock the doors will prove deadly if this issue is not part of a recall.

- Antioch, IL, USA

May 072015

Our Ford Edge door latch continues to fail stating the door is open. The alarm sounds frequently and distracting to the driver. I took the car in multiple times and Ford would only authorize a cleaning. Finally the car went out of warranty and I had the part replaced. Ford has acknowledge this as a problem. The problem is very dangerous as the warning sound distracts the driver.

- Ozark, MO, USA

Apr 142015

Driver door shows not closed, lights are on, display shows door ajar and the bell is ringing.very difficult to drive night time with the interior lights on shinning in your face. Also the display is shows request to acknowledge and to validate information regarding the door being open. The symptom is increasing every day going to 90%+ now when get in the car we start being afraid to use the car now

- Buena Park, CA, USA

Oct 232014

The warning light and sound for the driver door being ajar comes on and stays on. The interior light stays on while driving because of this and will stay on after the car is off and doors are locked or unlocked. I've taken it into the dealership to have it fixed and was told it was simply the sensor needing to be cleaned. After I had it fixed and paid to have it fixed, the problem began again about two months later. I've found that this is a very common problem with the Ford Edge and owners are having to pay to get it fixed.

- Jacksonville , FL, USA

Feb 022015

"drivers door ajar" warning system will not disengage when door is closed causing interior lights to remain on and will not allow doors to lock when car moving.

- Lino Lakes, MN, USA

Feb 262015

The door ajar warning comes on even though the door is shut complelely

- Fridley, MN, USA

Nov 012014

Edge 6-cyl

2012 Ford Edge door latch, Ford Edge door ajar alert/notification - for the past several months the notification system thinks a door is ajar when in fact it is not. There are dozens of forums regarding this very same issue and that direct people file a complaint with this website; as most believe Ford should recall said vehicles to correct the manufacturing error that is so blatantly apparent.

- Boston, MA, USA