3.0

2012 Ford Edge steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Edge:

2012 Ford Edge Owner Comments

Jan 012016

Edge

Power steering wines and is not responsive in temperatures below 35 degrees. Also the drivers door latch does not work properly warning light says door ajar and dome light stays on.

- Howard, PA, USA

Jan 112016

Edge

During cold weather, when I start the car it has a high pitched whining sound with loss of power steering and the car becomes very difficult to steer while pulling out of parking spot. Car continues with whining sound for approximately 15-20 minutes until fully warmed up, steering column feels tight during normal motion of car until whining stops.

- Blue Bell, PA, USA

Dec 032014

Edge 6-cyl

It began suddenly when turning the car on with a high pitched whining sound. Upon taking it to the dealer it was said that the power steering lines were crimped and needed to be replaced. (it seems to me to be a defect belonging to Ford), however not the case. Had it fixed for $700. Now in February 2015, they say the power steering pump is going bad and needs to be replaced along with a new reservoir and flushing of the lines. Again not covered by Ford. This car has been well maintained by the owner for oil changes and regular maintenance.

- Beltsville, MD, USA

Nov 302014

Edge

I have a 2012 Ford Edge and when the weather started to get really cold (we live in North central mn) I began to hear a whining noise when I would first start my vehicle. As soon as it would warm up, the noise would stop. This went on for a about a month before I asked my husband about it. By that time we were having below zero weather. He thought it was just due to the cold weather and I always made sure that I let the vehicle warm up really good. A few weeks later he checked the power steering fluid and it was a little bit low. We added fluid and it was fine for a few weeks. Then the noise started again and, when he looked, the level was below minimum. He couldn't find a leak anywhere, though. We started to smell the fluid when it would drip on to the exhaust. We had a mechanic look at it and the hose is leaking. We had them order the hose (which was $200!!) and it just came today but I haven't had it installed yet. I called the dealer, which is 2 hours away, and left a message. I want to know if there is any kind of a recall on this. Nothing like this should happen to a vehicle that is only 2 years old!! I had a 7 year old van prior to this that didn't have any mechanical problems. I am disappointed.

- Sebeka, MN, USA

Dec 262014

Edge

Initially heard whining noise, mainly in first 10-20 minutes of driving on cool days (around 60 degrees). Whine became constant in cold weather. In December vehicle was unexpectedly difficult to steer during parking maneuvers. Diagnosed 12/26 as leaking power steering pressure hose.

- Norwell, MA, USA

Nov 242014

Edge 4-cyl

The power steering cuts in and out in the middle of driving due to faulty power steering lines! nearly had an accident making a turn into a parking spot as the steering went out completely and I nearly lost control of the vehicle.

- Glen Rock, NJ, USA

Dec 152014

Edge 4-cyl

As I pulled into the parking deck at my office (going less than 10 mph), I suddenly had little ability to steer, nothing happened when I pressed the gas and the "low oil" light came on. I was able to coast to a stop and just barely steer clear of nearby vehicles. Restarted the car and was able to back into a parking spot. Drove it to the dealer where they spent the entire day trying to replicate the issue to no avail. I had noticed what I would describe as vibrations in the steering wheel prior to the incident (it's an approximately 25 minute drive from my house to the office in stop/go traffic with the last several miles on a busy interstate with my office just off the exit) but at the time I chalked it up to the construction on the highway and varying levels of asphalt. From my personal research online, most people who have this issue continue to have it at both low and high rates of speed and those who have had a remedy were only able to do so if the dealer could get their hands on the vehicle to read the code immediately before the car was restarted. It seems that the error code is disappearing when the car is restarted which could explain why the dealer could find no code on my vehicle.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Nov 082014

Edge

Power steering line failed at 36,000 -- vehicle is 2yrs old. Whining noise when car is started, louder when turning wheel -- goes away when the car warms up (when fluid has returned to pump).

- Abington, MA, USA

Jun 302014

Edge 6-cyl

We have a 2012 Ford Edge purchased new. We've been having issues with power steering failure going on for about a month. The service center cannot make appropriate/reasonable repairs to our vehicle. It's been in their shop 3 times and still looses ps fluid rapidly. 1st time, they didn't have part. 2nd time, replaced high pressure line. 3rd time, replaced failed ps pump. Vehicle still continues to leak ps fluid. The vehicle is unsafe to drive, and we are afraid loosing control of the vehicle and/or being stranded on the road. We can't afford the time and cost to have it in the shop every other week. The vehicle will soon be out of factory warranty and are afraid of this ongoing problem. We are very unsatisfied with Ford's products and services. We don't know what to do at this point. Nobody seems to be able to help us.

- Champaign, IL, USA

Jun 242014

Edge

In stop and go traffic at low speeds, the vehicle has stalled multiple times (11 times in the last year and a half). The most recent time in heavy, slow-moving construction traffic. Car loses all power without warning. Loss of power steering, very tight brakes, no acceleration possible and a low oil warning. I have to turn the car off and restart, this sometimes works, other times I have needed the car towed because it did not restart. This is a company car and it has been to the dealership multiple times, and only this last week was anything ever found to be wrong. All previous times the stalling could not be duplicated, and I was told either nothing was wrong with the car, they fixed a part they thought might be the problem, or I must have put in bad gas. After stalling a month ago, this past week a data recorder was attached and a defective oxygen sensor was found in the emissions system when the car stalled for the dealership. The oxygen sensor was replaced and they test drove the car. The stalling did not occur during their final test drives. I received the car back a week ago, only to have it stall three times within 10 miles two days ago. Almost was re-ended by a semi-trailer truck this last time as I was in the middle of six lanes of traffic, and with no steering, was helpless to move. Have stalled out in a gas station, rounding corners in intersections, at stop signs, driving down my street, and now four times on the highway during low speed traffic congestion. Having the car towed to the dealership as I am too afraid to drive it. There are at least four other complaints about this issue on the NHTSA website, and it sounds like very similar to symptoms seen in the GM recalls. Car stalls without warning in more and more dangerous situations. This issue needs to be addressed by the manufacturer because of its dangerously serious nature.

- Waukegan, IL, USA