7.7

2. replace door lock (20 reports)
  3. replaced door latch (20 reports)
  4. recall (12 reports)
  5. clean or replace sensor (10 reports)
  6. replace sensor (5 reports)
2013 Ford Edge accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Edge:

2013 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Jan 112017

Edge SE 3.5L

Like so many others, My door ajar light stays on after the door is shut. The door lights stay on, and when I forget to check after I get out of my car I come out to a dead battery! This is ridiculous! This car is only three years old. Ford needs to take responsibility for putting a defective product in vehicles. They need to recall all of these vehicles.

- , Clinton, UT, USA

Edge Limited V6

The driver side door sensor keeps saying the door is not shut when, in fact it is. That in turn makes it so my interior light does not go off and drains my battery. I've Googled this issue and apparently it is an issue with many 2013 Ford Edge owners. I also have a neighbor who has the same car and told me that she has been having the same issue.

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Jan 182017

Edge 3.5L

I could live with the stupid light being on and wrong. But, it causes the other inside lights to stay on. That causes a dead battery!!! WTF!!! I went online and there are many, many, with the same complaint. Two said the dealer charged about $400 to fix. I guess a sensor in the door is the problem. My brother in law had the same (Ford Edge) and his left turn signal would never shut off. Dealer fixed it once (for a fee) and my brother in law gave up when it happened again and traded for a Hyundai. It's been two + years and he's happy.

- , The Villages, FL, USA

Jan 092017

Edge SE

The door ajar light on my 2013 Ford Edge is gradually getting worse each day. Sometimes I can't get it to stop dinging at all. Now the lights inside the car worn't shut off and I have to spend 10 minutes to get my car light to go off before walking away so that I don't get done with work and have a dead battery. Since this sounds like an ongoing complaint with several Ford models it would be nice to have Ford recall and fix their vehicles. The Ford dealer where I bought the vehicle wanted me to spend $115 for them to diagnosis and give me a cost for the fix - I already know what the issue is and don't feel that this is at all good customer service on either end of the spectrum.

- , La Crosse, WI, USA

Feb 082017

Edge SEL 3.2L V6

For the past 2 months the "door ajar" light keeps coming on even though the door is closed. This seems to be a recurring problem with other 2013 Ford Edges as well. Why is there still no recall on this

- , Moncton, NB, Canada

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

As reported by many others I have not 1 but 2 Ford edges and both have had sensor problems. The first one we purchased had the issue as we were buying it and the dealership fixed it be replacing either the sensor or latch, not sure. On my 2nd one purchased a few weeks ago the door ajar alarm started happening all of a sudden.

This is a very bad problem as it will not let you lock the doors and the interior lights remain on, with no way to turn them off, short of pulling fuses. This obviously can cause battery issues among other things.

- , Dunlap, TN, USA

Jan 312017

Edge

driver door ajar lights comes on, shift into park light comes on, some. side mirror and interior lights won't go off, have to restart engine and turn off and hope it will work, problem getting worse. panic alarm went off last week.

had a dead battery a few months back, vehicle park in unattached garage, now wandering where the side mirrors and interior lights stayed on, and panic alarm going off, all night, is what happen to the battery. we would not have been able to hear the alarm. dead battery in a vehicle pulled into the garage was a issue. so now i have to watch my vehicle to be sure all lights goes off, to keep from running new battery down

Update from Feb 15, 2017: Edge repaired at Ford Dealer. The door ajar message was repaired with R&R driver door latch assembly.

The shift to park message was repaired with lever-gear shift R&R shifter assembly. Edge has been driven for 2 days now with no messages.

- , West Liberty, KY, USA

Feb 042017

Edge

Driver-side back door ajar light came on and would not shut off despite the door being closed. This is the third time this has happened to a door in this vehicle in 21 months. Super annoying that Ford won't issue a recall.

Oct 082016

Edge

Driver door ajar light came on and would not shut off despite the door being closed. This is the second time this happened in 18 months.

Apr 112015

Jan 222017

Edge

Driver door ajar warning light comes on. Door is NOT ajar. Closing the door up to 10 times might make the warning go away. If I shift into drive then I get a message to shift into Park and close the door. If I ignore that then I get warning beeps. Pressing the OK button does not ignore the problem. This has been going on for weeks.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 012016

Edge SEL V6

Door light ajar staying on - when in drive a can't lock the doors which is a huge safety issue. I had to take out the fuses for the interior lights because they kept staying on. I have been quoted $500.00 to repair this issue when it should be a SAFETY RECALL..............Ford escapes and other Ford vehicles have had a recall on this same issue. I called Ford Canada and there is nothing they will do about this. I was advised to have it fixed and keep the bill in case there is recall how sad it that. I am a long time Ford customer and presently not a happy one.

- , Innisfil, ON, Canada

Edge SEL

This is so annoying! I read that investigations were taking place about this common Ford Edge 2011-2013 issue. Why should all these buyers have to pay $500 for Ford's failure to create a functioning sensor or latch.

- , Bentonville, AR, USA

Sep 012016

Edge Limited Awd V6

2013 Ford Edge has a major glitch with the driver door ajar light and warning. After door is closed interior lights stay on. This has killed my battery once before. Also, interior lights can come on while driving creating a driving hazard. Ford is aware of the issue. I plan on taking them to small claims court to recover the repair costs.

- , Bothell, WA, USA

Aug 012016

Edge Limited 3.2L V6

over 1500 complaints on the Ford Edge. recall on other vehicles but not on Edge.....dealership admits many "fixed" Edge latches

yet i shell out $400 for nothing i did ....not to mention the nuisance. lights would stay on after door closed.....alarm would go off in middle of night

- , Somers, CT, USA

Jul 072016

Edge SEL

The drivers door sensor would not acknowledge the fact the door was closed. I had to pay a mechanic to repair the sensor. By the time it was fixed, my battery was drained and I had to replace that. I paid over $500 in repairs for something that should never break in the first place!! And now a sensor on a second door has gone out.

- , Casper, WY, USA

Nov 242016

Edge SE 3.5L V6

It is obvious that there's a manufacturers defect with the Ford Edge Door Latches/Sensors. It's not a new problem. The owners did not cause these things to happen. The latch/sensor causes the dome lights to remain on, the buzzer to be activated and the car battery to be drained leading to other problems and stressors. I was informed that it will cost an abundance of dollars to repair this problem with the Door latches/Sensor at owners cost.

FORD Motor Company, This isn't fair to your customers and you know this. We need an immediate Fix and not a Band Aid. This cost must be absorbed by Ford. It's a defect within the manufaturing phase that occurs over a very short period of time. Listen to your Ford car owners and fix.

Update from Feb 4, 2017: Since Ford Motor Company still refuses to do a recall for the Door Ajar Sensor or Door Latch, I like other Ford Edge owners went ahead and paid the cost ($487) to have a local Ford Motor Dealership Service Department remove & replace the Driver Door Latch 8T4Z 7821813 B: Latch. Although expensive, the repair has given us a piece of mind to know the the Doors now Lock, Chiming stops, Dome lights go off, Battery keeps it's charge and the Door Ajar on the Dash Panel is gone.

I still say that this type of part cost should be absorded by Ford Motor Company because the part should not wear this fast (Manufacture Defect). This can cause a safety concern by the doors remaining unlock when vehicle is occuppied and the dome lights remain on.

- , Radcliff, KY, USA

Nov 262016

Edge SE 3.5L V6

Had to jump my battery because the door latch/sensor caused the battery to lose its charge after the dome lights had been on overnight. I checked the doors to make sure they were all closed and they were. After jump starting my Ford Edge, I closed the driver door and I hear the beeps and the dash reflects that the door is "Ajar", but the door is closed. This makes no sense. Help!!

- , Radcliff, KY, USA

Jan 022017

Edge

Ford apparently has a problem with door latches and door latch sensors. The first time this happened, the car was not even 2 years old. The driver's door sensor registered the door as open constantly. Resulted in an annoying persistent alarm and the car telling me to put car into park. Plus the lights in the car stayed on and the doors would not lock when the car was moving. The dealership said they see this all the time, and have a special tool to burn out the debris / gunk that builds up around the door latch area. That cost a couple hundred.

Fast forward 2 years and the issue happens again, this time on the rear driver's side door (a door that gets used a lot). The sensor registers the door as open. Take it into the dealership, they tell me it's a bad latch. Entire assembly needs replacement for $450. During this time, the driver's door is starting to act up again. Dealer doesn't do anything about it, but it now constantly registers as open. That's 2 bad door latches in a 2 week period of time. Total cost of labor and repairs of about $900. What a piece of junk.

- , Huntsville, AL, USA

Feb 112015

Edge Limited 3.5L

Driver door ajar light kept coming on even though door was latched.

Locks on all doors will not work when light is on!

Dealer adjusted the latch twice but problem would come back after a few weeks.

I adjusted the latch myself and lucked out as it now works.

Now the passenger door ajar light keeps coming on and releasing the locks.

Adjustment does not work and warranty is up.

- , Union Springs, NY, USA