8.8

2016 Ford Edge steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford Edge:

2016 Ford Edge Owner Comments

Nov 012016

Edge

We purchased a new Ford Edge 2016 sport on September 18, 2016. On October 25, 2016 we received a message indicating ┐adaptive steering fault service required.┐ later that same day, the message did not appear on the driver display. However, on October 26, 2016, we received the same message: ┐adaptive steering fault service required.┐ we went to a local Ford service department (in concord, ca) and they performed electrical testing for steering warning messages. Their test appeared to be inconclusive and they cleared all codes and road tested the vehicle and it appeared to pass inspection. However, just today, November 1, 2016, we received the same message again: ┐adaptive steering fault service required.┐ we immediately took the vehicle to a local Ford service department so they could see the error message and they did not have answers, even after pulling the codes. They will be communicating with the "Ford" hotline and in contact with "those who manufactured the vehicle." From what we understand, after researching the issue online, that this may be a major safety issue and we are extremely concerned as steering ability may cease and the car may stop functioning. Other Ford Edge drivers are having this issue. This is of grave concern as it is our primary car that we use to Transport our children in daily. Our online research leads us to believe this is not an easy or well known fix as the adaptive steering in the 2016 Ford Edge is new technology. We intentionally purchased a new car to avoid any major issues for some time, so we are extremely frustrated and disappointed with our Ford purchase. The most important concern is the safety of our family while riding in this vehicle.

- Martinez, CA, USA

Aug 152016

Edge

At about 4500 miles, an "adaptive steering fault - needs service" light came on. It went off. Then, a day or two later it came on again. I took the Edge into norm reeves Ford in cerritos, ca to have them "service" the adaptive steering. They told me they could find no problem. A week or so later, I took it back to norm reeves Ford and they kept the vehicle for 13 days told me they couldn't "replicate" the problem. Now, a month later, the light stays on. I have read on the "Ford Edge forum" blog that others are having the same problem. Some are saying that their vehicles have been in the shop over a month and Ford seems unable to fix the problem. Others mentioned that the service department told them that the problem could be dangerous. I have contacted Ford's regional customer service manager for the California area. So far, Ford seems to be ignoring the problem.

- Norwalk, CA, USA

Oct 282016

Edge

Adaptive steering fault service required error. I turned it on from the parking lot at work and the error came up and the steering wheel was not aligned with the tires, when driving straight the steering wheel was 1/4 turned to the left

- Lehi, UT, USA

Oct 242016

Edge

I was parking on a side street with about 2200 miles on the car. The dashboard lit up with adaptive steering issue warning light telling me to take it in for service. I thought the car had died, but after a restart, it seemed to drive ok and I put it up to a one time computer glitch. I was 70 miles from home. I almost forgot it happened but after returning from a long trip, it happened again. I went to the forum and saw others had the same issue. And they mentioned that it sometimes effected the steering itself. Sure enough, the next day, the wheel turned 90 degrees to left. I was stopped at the time. The car was driveable but went straight with the wheel turned 90 degrees to the left. Very disconcerting, to say the least. The warning light was back on, of course. I had to get into twon so proceeded carefully. I filled the tank, and after the restart, the wheel straightened out and warning light went off. The wheel turning has not happened since, but the warning light comes on at least twice per day randomly. I am reporting this as a safety issue with the adaptive steering. I am scared to drive my new car.

- Harwich, MA, USA

Oct 042016

Edge

Adaptive steering fault - service required! while driving down the road, steering wheel changed ratio, became extremely light and disconnected from wheels. Steering wheel also changed to a 45 degree right angle while driving straight down the road. This is a safety issue! escalated to Ford, stating I lost confidence in driving this car. Didn't want to be a statistic with my kids when this happens again when going down the highway at 70mph! extremely hazardous thankfully my kids were not in the car when this happened.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Jun 232016

Edge

Stepped on gas at intersection and vehicle power system stopped. Throttle and power steering went out. Drifted to side of road. Ford repaired and said it was the electrical throttle

- Clifton, VA, USA