- June 28: Ford Recalls 402,000 Transit Vans For Driveshaft Problems recalls | 0 days ago
- June 19: Ford Wins Lincoln Town Car Airbag Lawsuit news | 9 days ago
- June 3: Ford PowerShift Transmission Lawsuit Includes Fiesta and Focus news | 25 days ago
- May 28: Hawaii Sues Ford, Nissan and Toyota Over Takata Airbags news | 31 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls F-150, Explorer and Super Duty Over Bad Welds recalls | 34 days ago
2001 Ford Escape
body / paint Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.
Worst 2001 Escape body / paint Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- grille fell off1
- NHTSA: Structure: Body18
- NHTSA: Structure7
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Door 5
- NHTSA: Structure: Frame And Members: Underbody Shields3
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Tailgate 2
- NHTSA: Structure: Frame And Members2
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Door: Hinge And Attachments1
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Hatchback/Liftgate1
- NHTSA: Structure: Body: Trunk Lid 1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Escape Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Escape compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Escape overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Escape.