CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.

A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.

Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.

2001 Ford Escape electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Escape:

2001 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Apr 012014

Escape

This model has chronic issues with electrical components not working. Frequent complaints of dome light, door locks, and radio not working, alternator/battery replacements. It seems to drain frequently and either not have enough power, and/or blow fuses. This is a very frequent occurrence and would seem fit for a recall.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 182012

Escape 6-cyl

Window and door lock on rear driver side quit operating causing me to have to use duct tape to keep window in place and door closed. This has now been fixed at substantial cost. Now am unable to use either door on passenger side. No problem with windows at this point, however, am unable to open either of the two doors. Quite inconvenient with other passengers, particularly where the front seat is involved...a little difficult climbing over the console area from the driver side to get to the passenger side and vice versa...back seating area not quite so bad...still inconvenient. Has there been a recall regarding this and/or anyone else experiencing the same problem? right now, the expense to repair is honestly more than it's worth to resolve the issue...another $400-500+. does make it particularly difficult to load and unload---especially the children!

- Independence, MO, USA

Oct 272013

Escape 6-cyl

Shortly after being parked and shut off the vehicle caught fire within the engine compartment and destroyed everything in the front end of the vehicle.

- Lakewood, WA, USA

Sep 122012

Escape

After driving my car without incident for 6 years, it began to intermittently lose power so much that the dash lights fade and the car almost stalls. This is worse at lower speeds, coasting, and idling. The engine misses out so badly that the car jerks forward if the brake is not pressed firmly to the floor and when it's worst at idle, it shakes horribly. I had the plugs replaced (not cheap) because that was the error showing when the check engine light finally came on several weeks after I started having this issue, and a mechanic had already looked at it and thought it was fixed. After having the plugs replaced, I had a lot fewer problems but could still tell there was a problem when it was colder outside and/or when I first started my car for a couple of months. It then began to get worse again and is just as bad now as it was before I had the plugs replaced. I don't want to keep replacing them if it's just going to keep happening again. While waiting at a red light on an uphill intersection just last week, I pressed the gas to pull through the intersection and barely any power resulted. I let off the gas and depressed it again, at least 3 different times, just to get through the intersection without it dying or launching myself into another car. It seems this model year may have a lot of electrical issues, but I've had all of the recall issues addressed and I'm still having major issues that aren't cheap to fix. I've also had the emergency brake indicator light come on without the brake being engaged twice during the time I've owned this vehicle and the indicator goes away just as quickly as it appeared within a couple of weeks.

- Fayetteville, AR, USA

Oct 112013

Escape 6-cyl

On October 10th, 2013, my wife and I had met for her birthday dinner at a restaurant in our town. My wife drove the 2001 Ford Escape to the restaurant, about 5 miles, from our home and parked the car. We had been at dinner for approximately 25 minutes when the waitress asked us if we drove a red SUV. We were led to the vehicle that was on fire and in the process of being extinguished by the fire department. The fire investigator said that it looked as if the fire had started on the driver's side of the engine compartment and that nothing else looked suspicious. He pointed out that the wire insulation on that side of the engine compartment was all melted away to bare copper and that the passenger side wiring was still more intact. The fire destroyed the entire front end of the car, the engine compartment, the driver's side fender, the driver's side tire and rim and melted the driver's side dashboard. The entire inside of the vehicle is smoke damaged since the car was locked up. The vehicle is a total loss. Just grateful that my daughter or wife weren't driving it at the time of the fire.

- Manteca, CA, USA

Jun 042013

Escape 6-cyl

Fifth time vehicle has been to the dealership for the same problem. Vehicle is stopped at a red light or in traffic, the vehicle lunges forward with the brakes applied. Daughter took it back to the same dealership and they thought they fixed the problem. She was on her way back to college...4 miles from the house at a red light. She called and said the vehicle was still doing what it was doing before. This needs to be investigated and a recall issued.

- Warrenton, VA, USA

Nov 252010

Escape

Rear left passenger door will not open. 5th door will not open. Windshield wiper in rear stopped working.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Jan 062012

Escape

The brake master cylinder cap leaks brake fluid and the fluid runs down the wiring and down the firewall of the engine compartment. The brake fluid has corroded the paint off of the firewall, and then the fluid gets hot and smokes. Because the fluid runs down the wiring, the vehicle is also having electrical problems. Ford has a recall 11S24 for vehicles of the same year with the same problem, but they say that our vehicle is not included even though the master cylinder cap clearly leaks. They won't look at the vehicle unless we pay $85 to have it diagnosed. We would like to have this vehicle added to the recall.

- Corvallis, OR, USA

Jun 252010

Escape 6-cyl

The trunk-door (5th door) cannot be opened when exposed to the sun or temperature is warmer. It can only be opened after it is cooler in the evening or at night. The rear-left- passenger-door locked and cannot be opened at all. Now passengers have to enter and exit the vehicle using only one right-passenger-door. This is a safety issue and a very inconvenient one. Please help!!!!!

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 082011

Escape

We bought our 2001 Ford Escape new. On the 8th of December, 2011 it was parked in our double car attached garage. My son came home around 11:30 P.M. going through the garage and did not see or smell anything. My husband and I, his youngest son were asleep already from the fumes. We had to be pulled out of our beds by my older step-son. He saw smoke coming through the door going to the garage. We he opened the door he saw smoke and flames shooting out of the front of the Escape. He tried to open the garage door but by then it was too late. I had to get my dog out from under the bed and Escape through my bedroom window. As a result the whole home was burned and the insurance company considers it a total loss. What I want to know is what recourse I have. I would like to find similar incidents from other Ford Escape owners. I forgot to say that we received our recall on January 31st of 2012. About a month too late to tell us not to park it in or near a dwelling. This has been the most horrific thing I have ever gone through and believe me, I have gone through a whole lot in my life. I want to file a class action lawsuit as that seems to me that is the only recourse I have. I would like to know how I would go about doing this.

- Silver Lake, OH, USA

Feb 232012

Escape 6-cyl

I went to start the car and noticed smoke coming out from under the hood and a bad smell. I opened the hood and noticed the area under the master cylinder was on fire. Luckily I had a small CO2 fire extinguisher and put it out. The entire wiring harness is burned right off where it plugs into the ans module. After searching the internet it seems there is a problem with this make and model. I always wondered why I had to put brake fluid in twice per year. I hope the dealer doesn't try to rip me off and say it's not covered for some reason. They do not like to fix factory recalls.

- Flanders , NJ, USA

Jan 152012

Escape 6-cyl

After stopping to possibly take a left turn, I realized I needed to go one more block so I pressed the gas to continue forward. However right as I did that the light turned yellow so I took my foot off the accelerator and pressed on the brake instead. The car shot forward at full throttle and the car went through the intersection and the red light. The street was clear in front of us and I had a full long block to try to regain control of the vehicle's acceleration. I calmly shifted the car into neutral and was very surprised that the car continued to accelerate. I started worrying as the car continued to speed up. I was able to shift the car in reverse and park (which normally isn't possible). All the while the vehicle sped up. My foot was on the brake for almost the whole block and wasn't slowing the vehicle at all. I decided that since the transmission and brakes were not responding, that I might be able to use my foot to get under the gas pedal and lift it up (because it felt from the full acceleration like it was stuck on the floor). However, the pedal easily came off the floor but would flop back down as soon as I moved my foot out from under it. It was definitely not stuck by a foreign object or floor mat though. Had to avoid a pedestrian that was crossing the street and the road ahead was obscured because it went down a steep hill so I chose to turn right. The car ended up hitting the curb, hitting 2 small trees. And flipping upside down before also hitting a parked car. The engine continued to "rev" at high speeds, even upside down, for a few seconds before it finally cut off. My wife and I were very lucky to survive this incident and to not have injured any others in the area. Possibly part of : NHTSA campaign id number: 00V210001 for stuck throttle problems.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Aug 012011

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

2001 Ford Escape. Consumer states vehicle caught fire for no apparent reason the consumer stated her daughter owned the vehicle and was driving it the night, it caught on fire. Her daughter burned her hand, as she was exiting the vehicle. The vehicle was destroyed by the fire.

- Nanuet, NY, USA

Dec 142011

Escape 6-cyl

Cannot remove ignition key from ignition without disconnecting battery.

- Ocala, FL, USA

Oct 012011

Escape 6-cyl

About four months my 2001 Ford Escape has been putting off this strong odor, so bad I am afraid to drive it. My safety brake light will not turn off, even when it is not in use. Over the last 3 months, I have paid to have my car engine looked at -spark plugs, brakes and rotors replaced, hoping for positive results. Smell still remains. I have put money into getting this car fixed, I do realize its an older car, butt it's all I have and need it for transportation to work, due to the ABS recall I just received, I am afraid it's going to just burst into flames at any time.

- Cleveland, TN, USA

Nov 302011

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Started vehicle approx 7am drove 40miles with no evident problems to vehicle. Stopped vehicle for approx 15mins, upon starting vehicle up again hazard warning on control panal began to flash. ABS, air bags, brake, were flashing on/off.turned car off, then on again, warning lights did come back on. Drove approx 3miles, car then started to emit white smoke from under the hood. Immaditatly pulled over, turned off engine. Smoke cont to billow from under the hood for aleast 15-20 mins.

- Folsom, CA, USA

Jan 222011

Escape

Vehicle will stall while driving at high speeds, causing power steering and breaks to stop working.

- Salem, OH, USA

Mar 242008

Escape

On March 2008 our 2001 Ford Escape self ignited in our driveway after being shut off for over 2 hours an independent investigation states" the fire in the vehicle originated at the ABS module and was caused by a malfunction that resulted in an internal electrical overheating condition" the car had gone in for all recalls up to that date. So either the repair failed or there was no recall for this problem. Ford refuses to investigate their cause of this fire.

- Hampton Bays, NY, USA

Apr 222010

Escape

The contact owns a 2001 Ford Escape. The vehicle was parked for several days and when the contact attempted to start it, the vehicle failed to respond. A tow truck driver was able to assist the contact with starting the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a certified mechanic who repaired the computer system; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a different mechanic who repaired the computer system again and the failure occurred a third time. The manufacturer stated that they were unable to offer him any assistance and to take the vehicle to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle had not been inspected by the dealer or repaired when the complaint was filed. The current and failure mileages were approximately 104,000.

- Kingston , PA, USA

May 122010

Escape

I have a 2001 Ford Escape. While staying at a hotel on vacation in marfa, tx, I was awakened by my car alarm going of at approximately 5:30 am on May 12, 2010. When I went outside to turn it off, I found smoke pouring out from under the hood. Our neighbor called 911, and the car continued to smoke until the fire department arrived. As the fire dept. Was inspecting the car, flames did appear from the ABS wiring harness and module. The fire was extinguished quickly and damage was confined to the ABS harness and module. I had received a recall notice for the ABS harness a couple of years ago, and took my car to a dealership in austin to have the necessary work performed. That work was performed on August 6, 2008. When I contacted Ford to let them know that my car had caught fire even though the recall was performed, they informed me that their records showed that the ABS harness on my car was inspected and it was determined that it did not need to be replaced. As of May 16, 2010, my car is still at a Ford dealership in fort stockton, tx and I am at home in austin waiting to hear from Ford's office of general council.

- Austin, TX, USA