CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.

A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.

Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.

6.7

2001 Ford Escape electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Escape:

2001 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Feb 152013

Escape ES

For about a year now, my Ford Escape has had this series of beeping noises coming from the dash. It used to do it only when I first started the car. Now it just randomly starts beeping when driving. It is a series of 5 beeps repeated 5 times. I had a mechanic shop look at it and they said it had something to do with something in the computer needing to be reset (mechanical speak I don't do) . I paid them to reset it , although I no longer remember how much they charged me. It did stop the beeping for about a week (don't know if it really solved the problem or if the beeping just took a weeks vacation) After about a week - the beeping started back up and continues to be a problem ! It is very annoying and discomforting since this is now the car that my daughter drives back and forth to college . Hope someone can tell me what the problem is and how to fix it

- , Mt. Washington, KY, USA

Aug 202012

Escape XLS V6

At start of engine, and after driving approximately 30 miles a series of 5 beeps/5 times occurs from somewhere in the dash. There is no rhyme or reason for the beeping. I have had two mechanics check this out and no one knows the cause! If you have experienced the same and know the cause and/or solution, please post to this site!

- , Cleves, OH, USA

Jun 232011

Escape XS 3.0L V6

Each time I start my car I get a series of 5 beeps and it does this 5 times for a total of 25 beeps about 5 seconds apart. I have checked all the dash bulbs and none are out. The Air bag light does not come on but it does not require a bulb. It is hard wired. This is driving me NUTS!

- , Springfield, IL, USA