- June 28: Ford Recalls 402,000 Transit Vans For Driveshaft Problems recalls | 0 days ago
- June 19: Ford Wins Lincoln Town Car Airbag Lawsuit news | 9 days ago
- June 3: Ford PowerShift Transmission Lawsuit Includes Fiesta and Focus news | 25 days ago
- May 28: Hawaii Sues Ford, Nissan and Toyota Over Takata Airbags news | 31 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls F-150, Explorer and Super Duty Over Bad Welds recalls | 34 days ago
NHTSA — Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline Problems
2001 Ford Escape (Page 6 of 8)
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.
- Crashes / Fires:
- 2 / 1
- Injuries / Deaths:
- 2 / 0
- Average Mileage:
- 1,365 miles
About These NHTSA Complaints: