CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.

A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.

Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.

2001 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Escape:

2001 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

May 202002

Escape 4WD

At 50mph when foot was let up from accelerator, there would be a delay in deceleration, also steering column would shake. Cause unknown. Dealer notified. Check engine light came on and stayed on. The vehicle did not always accelerate or decelerate correctly. The dealer replaced the PCM computer system three times, but the problem continued to exist.

- Burlingame, CA, USA

Dec 152001

Escape

Vehicle has stalled 3 times at 35-40 mph down an incline. Dealer has recalibrated computer. Dealer put on new eec and new idle air control. A/C failed and was replaced.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

May 172002

Escape 4WD

While driving at about 40 mph, with both children in the car, my car stalled in a busy intersection. My brakes, steering, accellerator, and electrical(radio and speedometer) went out. I was forced to coast down the street to find somewhere to pull over. I have sent it to the dealership and they acted like it was my fault that it happened and that they hadn't heard of such complaint. I am scared to drive it even after they said it is fixed. I have heard of this happening, after I did some reasearch and people have reported it happening again. I would like some kind of trade or reimbuirsement. My reason being is for the saftey of my children and myself. The car is only 11 months old.

- Middletown, OH, USA

Jul 242001

Escape

While accelerating vehicle stalled at 15 mph. Dealer replaced iac valve which was sticking.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Nov 282001

Escape 4WD

My vehicle is a 2001 Ford Escape V6 XLT 4X4 purchased new (0 miles) in August. On Nov. 28, 2001, in the morning, after about 8 minutes of running and less than a mile of driving, I was going down a hill (on ramp to highway). I had accelerated to a coast of about 35-40 mph and was about to accelerate again when the vehicle completely shut off, many indicator lights appeared (as a result of the key being in the run position), power brakes and steering were lost. I shifted the vehicle to neutral and re-started while moving to avoid a rear-end collision. I reported the incident to the dealer as soon as possible and they scheduled me for 2 days later. The person on the phone was aware of Ford Escapes stalling yet when I discussed it with the service manager he said he had never heard of Escapes stalling and none had been in for service for this reason "to his knowledge". I perceived this as deceit. He then said he would conduct an "oasis" in which they receive information from Ford about known problems. After having the vehicle for the day, they told me nothing was wrong. I requested a list of what was done as required by New Jersey law. I told them I did not feel safe in this vehicle and that this was their first attempt at fixing the problem. I also stated that if it happens again and they still do not fix the problem, I would seek a full refund under New Jersey's lemon law, first by sending a certified letter to Ford. I would really prefer that the manufacturer fix this life threatning problem that many people are experiencing.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 182001

Escape 4WD

Vehicle stalled four times at speeds ranging from 10-40 mph. Lost power steering and brakes. Very unnerving and seems to pose a dangerous threat. Appears Ford has no fix or solution yet.

- Kent, WA, USA

Oct 242001

Escape 4WD

There have been multiple times when pulling out of a street that the car comes to a stop; the rpms die off and pressing the gas does nothing, letting off the gas sometimes helps but it just takes a second for the gas to work, this is scarry since I am usually pulling out across 4 lanes of traffic. I have been to do the dealership 3 times for this but they can never find anything. The dealership changed an iac valve but the car continues to hesitate. The car did stall while going down a small hill; the brakes and steering completely went. I had to turn off car and restarted the car.

- Harborcreek, PA, USA

Sep 202001

Escape 4WD

Stalls when stepping on gas from a stop and when going from reverse to drive. Brought to dealer twice already since initial occurrnce. First time (9/22): Said they couldn't find anything wrong. Second time (10/8): Replaced iac valve (?). still stalling the next day. Called dealer 10/11: Didn't get back to me. Stopped at dealer on 10/12: Said they were going to talk to a Ford tech (who didn't return their call). Also called Ford customer service and they talked to dealer (who told them same thing they told me). Now have to wait until Monday until I can talk to them again. Nobody seems to want to acknowledge this dangerous situation.

- Washington, NJ, USA

Aug 202001

Escape

Had shifted into reverse and it started to backup. Then, it hesitated when brakes were applied, sounded funny. Rpms revved up, and vehicle started to shake. Vehicle suddenly accelerated while still in reverse.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 202001

Escape

Had shifted into reverse to get out of parking space. Then, started to back up, and vehicle hesitated when brakes were applied, sounded funny; rpms revved up, vehicle suddenly accelerated while still in reverse.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 102001

Escape

Consume R was traveling about 45mph on a mountain road, and without prior warning, engine check light came on the dashboard. Then, there were no brakes or power steering. Also, speed pedal went all the way to the floor. Consumer was able to control vehicle. Dealership was aware of problems.

- Shermansdale, PA, USA

Jul 052001

Escape 4WD

Vehicle accelerates/surges, without warning when in reverse or automatic lst gear. This happens sporadictly, maybe once every 2-3 weeks, without warning. I took it to a local Ford dealer and nothing showed up on their computor. Their mechanic went on the Ford hotline and found that the problem was listed, and a possible fix suggested. The mechanic rehooked the vehicle back up to the computer and found that the fix had already been installed on the truck, and obviously was not working. An appologetic service rep. Handed me the keys and I drove home in my defective truck. This problem is also listing by other owners on Ford Escape owner websites.

- West Chester, PA, USA

May 032001

Escape 4WD

Car jumps suddenly forward/backward when easing into first gear or reverse. Had two near accidents, 1st- flew backwards just missing a tree, 2nd flew backward in parking lot nearly hitting a car and pedestrian. This problem is also posted by other Escape owners at a "Escape" owner internet site, so it is not an isolated incident.

- West Chester, PA, USA

May 022001

Escape

No summary listed for above vehicle.

- Lebanon, OH, USA

May 012001

Escape 4WD

Tires make a humming noise. Consumer feels that they may be leaving ground like hydroplaning, and at 65 mph vehicle wobbles, vehicle is not stable at high speeds with window down. The vehicle hesitates when A/C unit is in operation and A/C make a loud cyclic clicking sound. Transmission makes sound. The vehicle was unstable at 65 mph with a slight wind and front end makes tumbling sounds on rough roads. The alternator light comes on intermittently. The cruise control turns off automaticaly by itself. The front brake has excessive dust. The vehicle had numerous interior system failures and malfunctioning.

- Lebanon, OH, USA