- April 13: Ford Ordered to Pay $3 Million in Crash of 2001 Ford Ranger
- April 7: Government Petitioned To Investigate Ford SUV Recall
- April 5: Do Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis Headlights Fail?
- March 29: Ford Freestyle Engine Surge Lawsuit Not Dead Yet
- March 25: Ford Recalls 221,000 Vehicles in Three Recalls
2001 Ford Escape
exhaust system Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.
Worst 2001 Escape exhaust system Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- clogged catalytic convertor6
- egr valve exploded1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System8
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Emission ...7
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Emission ...5
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Emission ...2
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Manifold/Header/Muffler/Tail ...2
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Escape Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Escape compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Escape overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Escape.