- April 11: Ford Recalls 435,000 Escapes For Rusted Subframes
- March 4: Ford Agrees to Fix 1,600,000 Cars That 'Limp Home'
- February 8: Ford Wants Class-Action Lawsuit Thrown Out
- February 6: Congrats Chrysler! Most Recalls of 2013
- February 5: Investigation Closed Into Steering Gear Problems in Ford Trucks
- January 21: 10 Out of 11 Minicars Flunk Crash Test
- January 19: Ford Recalls Vehicles for Steering and Windshield Problems
2001 Ford Escape
exhaust system Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.
Worst 2001 Escape exhaust system Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- clogged catalytic convertor5
- egr valve exploded1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System8
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Emission ...7
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Emission ...5
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Emission ...3
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Manifold/Header/Muffler/Tail ...2
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Escape Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Escape compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Escape overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Escape.