- June 29: Ford Recalls 8,500 Cars, Trucks, Vans and SUVs recalls | 1 days ago
- June 7: Sports Car Crash-Test Ratings All Over the Place news | 23 days ago
- June 1: Ford Recalls 1.9 Million Vehicles to Replace Takata Airbags recalls | 29 days ago
- May 25: Ford Recalls 271,000 F-150 Trucks For Leaking Master Cylinders recalls | 36 days ago
- May 17: Ford Spark Plugs Breaking? Ford Settles Class-Action Lawsuit news | 44 days ago
2001 Ford Escape
exhaust system Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.
Worst 2001 Escape exhaust system Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- clogged catalytic convertor6
- egr valve exploded1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System8
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Emission ...7
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Emission ...5
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Emission ...4
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Manifold/Header/Muffler/Tail ...2
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Escape Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Escape compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Escape overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Escape.