- August 22: Ford Recalls Vehicles With Leaking Gas Tanks and Flying Roof Glass
- August 17: Ford Recalls 160,000 Escape and Focus ST Vehicles For Erratic Engines
- August 14: Ford Recalls 83,000 Vehicles Because of One Small C-Clip
- August 8: Ford Recalls Vans and SUVs for Leaking Brake Fluid and Bubbly Windshields
- July 17: Ford Lawsuit Claims Steering Defects in Ford Fusion and Focus Cars
2001 Ford Escape
exhaust system Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.
Worst 2001 Escape exhaust system Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- clogged catalytic convertor5
- egr valve exploded1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System8
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Emission ...7
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Emission ...5
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Emission ...3
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Exhaust System: Manifold/Header/Muffler/Tail ...2
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Escape Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Escape compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Escape overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Escape.