- December 2: Ford Recalls 680,000 Fusion, Mondeo and Lincoln MKZ Cars recalls | 6 days ago
- November 28: Ford Panoramic Sunroof Lawsuit Dropped by Plaintiffs news | 10 days ago
- November 25: 2016 Ford Explorer Throttle Body Lawsuit Investigation Opened news | 13 days ago
- November 8: Ford Focus Purge Valve Focus of Lawsuit news | 30 days ago
- November 5: Ford Door Latch Recall Closes Ford Focus Investigation investigations | 33 days ago
2001 Ford Escape
seat belts / air bags Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.
Worst 2001 Escape seat belts / air bags Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- air bag light on dash stays on3
- NHTSA: Air Bags31
- NHTSA: Air Bags: Frontal27
- NHTSA: Seat Belts6
- NHTSA: Seat Belts: Front6
- NHTSA: Air Bags: Frontal: Sensor/Control Module5
- NHTSA: Seat Belts: Front: Buckle Assembly5
- NHTSA: Air Bags: Side/Window3
- NHTSA: Seat Belts: Front: Retractor3
- NHTSA: Seat Belts: Rear3
- NHTSA: Seat Belts: Front: Anchorage2
- NHTSA: Seat Belts: Front: Warning Light/Devices1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Escape Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Escape compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Escape overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Escape.