- June 26: Investigation Into Vacuum Assist Pumps in Ford F-150 Trucks
- June 24: Ford Recalls 203,000 Escape SUVs and Transit Connect Vans
- June 23: Ford 5.4 Liter Spark Plug Lawsuit
- June 7: Ford Fusion Hybrid MPG Lawsuit Says Advertised MPG Is Wrong
- May 27: Ford Recalls 443,000 Ford, Lincoln and Mercury Cars
2001 Ford Escape
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.
Worst 2001 Escape transmission Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- transmission failure22
- vibration when changing gears2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission60
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Control ...10
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission9
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Gear Position ...4
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Torque Converter4
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Cooling ...2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Lever And ...2
- NHTSA: Power Train: Automatic Transmission: Lever And ...1
- NHTSA: Power Train: Manual Transmission: Column Shift ...1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Escape Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Escape compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Escape overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Escape.