- March 20: Ford Explorer Police Vehicles Get Carbon Monoxide Detectors news | 2 days ago
- March 15: Ford Recalls 2017 Mustangs to Repair Door Handles recalls | 7 days ago
- March 5: Ford Dual-Clutch Transmission Lawsuit Filed in Texas news | 17 days ago
- March 3: Ford Recalls Edge, Lincoln MKX and Lincoln Continental recalls | 19 days ago
- February 26: Judge Dismisses Ford Power Steering Lawsuit news | 24 days ago
2001 Ford Escape
windows / windshield Problems
CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.
A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.
Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.
Worst 2001 Escape windows / windshield Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- rear window hinge broke3
- rear window shattered3
- power window stopped working2
- rear wiper motor, wiper arm stuck1
- NHTSA: Visibility: Glass, Side/Rear5
- NHTSA: Visibility: Windshield Wiper/Washer5
- NHTSA: Visibility3
- NHTSA: Visibility: Power Window Devices And Controls2
- NHTSA: Visibility: Windshield2
- NHTSA: Visibility: Windshield Wiper/Washer: Linkages2
- NHTSA: Visibility: Windshield Wiper/Washer: Motor2
Stay Up to Date
Compare Ford Escape Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Escape compares to other years?
Check out our Ford Escape overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Escape.