2002 Ford Escape electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Escape:

2002 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 012014

For the past year and a half the ABS warning light has been illuminated. I took it to the Ford dealership to have the latest recall fixed regarding the reservoir cap. Ford couldn't get the ABS warning light to turn, hence the light still intermidantly comes on and off. Also, the oil pressure light keeps coming on when I start my car and when I am slowing down. I just had my mechanic change the oil a week ago and and still having the problem. One last thing, the air bag illumination light has been on for the past two years. I took it to my dealer and they couldn't get it to turn off. Am I safe in thinking that my air bag won't deploy just for the heck of it" not sure what to do" but it scares me.

- Post Falls, ID, USA

Mar 212015

The contact owned a 2002 Ford Escape. The contact walked outside and discovered that the vehicle caught fire. The engine was not turned on and the key was not in the ignition switch at the time of the incident. The fire department was called to the scene to extinguish the flames. The vehicle was destroyed. The cause of the incident could not be determined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 163,000.

- Groove Port, OH, USA

Nov 212014

Escape 6-cyl

Neighbor woke me saying my car was on fire. Car wasn't on, the key was not in, and it had sat overnight. Called fire department and fire put out. Car is totaled because the firemen had to break into the engine compartment. Engine area burned with nothing but metal visible and a melted battery. I have pictures.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 032014

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle, but the failure recurred fifteen times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 128,000.

- Bergenfield, NJ, USA

Aug 072014

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, smoke started to emit into the vehicle near the console. The contact merged to the side of the road and quickly exited the vehicle. The fire department was able to extinguish the fire. The vehicle was destroyed. The contact was later notified of recall NHTSA campaign id number: 12V005000 (electrical). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Acampo, CA, USA

Mar 232014

I put the vehicle in reverse to back up and when I put vehicle back in drive it died/stalled. This has repeatedly happened along with dying at stop signs, red lights and multiple times at slow speeds. Also the vehicle has repeatedly "stumbled" at various speeds up to 65 mph.

- Winona, TX, USA

Nov 062013

Escape 6-cyl

Arrived home, parked vehicle in driveway and shortly after my wife took our puppy outside and saw my car was on fire under the hood, I was able to open the hood and saw flames and sparks coming from the drivers side firewall area, called fire dept after my fire extinguisher failed to fully put out the fire fearing it would catch the house on fire as I was parked less than 10 ft from it.

- Uniontown, OH, USA

Aug 282013

My Escape was parked in driveway when we went to go to town and it was smoking then on fire this was in the evening about 8 if we hadn't gone out we would have had a huge fire witch could have involved 3 other cars not to mention our house we live in ramona ca 92065 and its fire season we are in a rural area..

- Julian, CA, USA

Jul 022013

Escape 6-cyl Diesel

While driving at around 65 mph on a freeway, the car turned on ABS light all of sudden and in a less than a minute the car's electricity all shut off, engines shut off, steering shut off, brakes shut off, radio shut off. I've had the same problem previously more than 6 times, but before, it was when I was driving less than 30 mph, but this time, it happened on the freeway. It happened while putting on my breaks, and I believe it was one of the recall problem that the car stops while decelerating. However, the dealer told me that recall works have been already done on the car before it happened. So I suspect that the dealer did not figure out the main reason why the car is stopping while decelerating or just didn't work on the recall and lied.

- Reseda, CA, USA

Nov 092012

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle, after being turned off, would not turn back on, and the gear indicator square that surrounds the engaged gear was multiplying, flashing and "dancing" from gear to gear. This happened a second time exactly one week later, and this time the interior lights were flashing and could not be stopped. After quite some time once the key was removed and the door was closed, the flashing interior lights ceased and would only continue again once the key was in the ignition. Though removing the key caused the lights to stop flashing, even once the key was removed, the indicator square continued the behavior. Periodically during operation the lights strengthen in and out when idling.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Apr 232012

Received a recall notice in Feb from Ford (recall id 12V00500 - issued Jan 2012). Indicated potential problems with brake fluids leaks that could cause shorts in the ABS electronics. We contacted dealer. No parts available yet. Our ABS and brake indicators came on in March as described in the recall notice. Ford still said that recall shows safe to drive, just don't park in the garage due to potential fires. Last night, drove home and parked (in the driveway). Unloaded some stuff from car... no problems noticed. Came out of house about 15 minutes later to unload stuff from car and found it smelling of hot electrical system, and smoke coming from hood. Used hose to cool down under hood, while I found wrench and unhooked the battery. Smoke was coming from all sides under and behind engine block. Once battery disconnected the smoking stopped. Calling Ford corporate, local dealer, and insurance this morning to see what to do next.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Mar 072012

Escape 6-cyl

On March 7,2012, someone knocked on my door and told me my car was on fire. It had been parked on my carport for over 2 hours.there was an ABS recall but I was told by my local dealership that the parts would not be available until at least July, maybe longer.they also informed me that the vehicle would be safe to drive since I had no previous problems with it.the Escape was towed to a secured location to be inspected by my insurance and a Ford rep. No conclussion @ this time.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Feb 142012

Escape 6-cyl

I have received a notice from Ford M.C. that my Ford 2002 Escape can spontaneously catch fire and burn my house down while turned off inside my garage or while running, therefore I should stop parking the vehicle near any house structures. When I called Ford, I'm told that the vehicle is otherwise safe, while it is scheduled to be repaired sometime in quarter #2 of this year. How safe does this sound to you.."?" I have detected the hot smell odors referred to within the letter (recall notice) & am concerned that the government is giving Ford too much slack in resolving a matter that appears to be quite volatile (pun intended).

- Diamond Springs, CA, USA

Nov 012011

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle was parked in yard when smoke started coming out from under the hood. We raised hood and saw wires on fire under the master cylinder. We put the fire out. Wires from ABS system caught on fire

- Pendergrass, GA, USA

Aug 022011

Escape 6-cyl

ABS warning indicator illuminated, 25A fuse blown- upon replacement smoke and sparks from ABS module connector, inspection reveals melted connector cover and wiring harness, corroded wire terminals and also a wire arcing at a break inside the connector cover. The 60A fuse was removed to isolate the ABS system fault for a limp home. Ed mullinax Ford service department acknowledges ABS module recall; however, dealership denies applicable to this vehicle.

- Lorain, OH, USA

May 302011

I drove my vehicle home from work (less than 5 miles). When I pulled into my driveway and parked my vehicle, smoke began to pour out from the engine compartment. When I opened the hood there were flames directly in front of the driver side near the fire wall. These flames were originating from the ABS module location.

- Jamestown, NY, USA

May 152011

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Escape. The contact was driving 60 mph when sparks started to shoot from under the hood. The contact was able to rapidly move the vehicle from off the roadway and as the hood was lifted, the contact noticed that the engine was on fire. The police and the fire department were dispatched to extinguish the fire. A police report was available. The vehicle was towed back to the contacts residence and the vehicle was deemed as destroyed. The vehicle was not inspected for the cause of the engine fire but the fire department advised that the fire could potentially have been caused by an electrical failure. The failure and current mileages were unknown. Updated 9/16/11 updated 2/9/12

- Maryville, IN, USA

May 162011

ABS module connector caught fire while car was parked. Recall for ABS module connector inspection was completed 7/6/2007. Brought vehicle back in 1/7/2008 due to ABS light remaining on. No mention of ABS, noted rotors below specs and brake pads need replacing.

- Livingston, LA, USA

Jul 152010

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

My airbag light keeps coming on every time I start my Ford Escape. Upon review of this it's been on complaint websites several times by hundreds of people. How many of these people need to die due to malfunction of the air bags before we have a recall. This light has been on since I've owned the vehicle. Also my window stopped going up. The dipstick can't give a clear reading of the oil amount. These things lead to death, constant and costly repair, and constant problems.

- Marion, IN, USA

Apr 102011

Escape 6-cyl

2002 Ford Escape electrical fire. Vehicle had been driven that day, but had gone less than a mile when it was noted the SUV had a smoky smell and we pulled over. Within minutes the entire engine compartment was involved. It appeared to start near the battery, the battery was approximately 8 weeks old.

- Crystal River, FL, USA