2002 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Escape:

2002 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 192012

Escape 6-cyl

Going between 34-37 mph today, my vehicle completely stalled upon slight deceleration as I was attempting to switch into another lane.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Oct 192012

Escape 6-cyl

Upon pressing the brake, at any speed, the vehicle completely shuts off. This has caused me to be nearly rear-ended on several occasions. It happens without notice, and is becoming more consistent. I took it to the dealership, as there were recalls on my vehicle, but they said while that is a problem for my make and model, it was in fact not one of the recalls to be performed. I had two recalls performed, neither of which helped this problem at all. It leaves me halted in intersections, and makes for abrupt stops, as I have to completely brake to a full and complete stop, throw the truck into park, turn the key off, wait a moment, turn the key back on, and back into drive.

- Elkhart, IN, USA

Dec 102011

While driving at normal speeds on ice-glazed winter roads in fairbanks, ak, I approached an intersection and took my foot off the accelerator to prepare to slow down. Instead of dropping to idle speeds, the engine accelerated up to 3500-4000 RPM. I shifted the automatic transmission to neutral and was able to stop the car with the brakes, but the engine continued to race at high-throttle until I shut off the engine. When I restarted the engine it behaved normally for several days; but the problem came back intermittently several times over the next several weeks; and every time, shutting off the engine was the only way to stop it. Ford's database showed my car had undergone a recall in 2005 to fix a similar problem. In January 2012, stanley Ford in kenai, ak 'supposedly' replaced the throttle cable and throttle body assembly for $572, but it didn't solve the problem. The uncontrolled acceleration occurred several more times, as before, until a second repair in February 2012 by seekins Ford in fairbanks, which replaced a PCV and tubing, and did a complete tune-up for $992. Since then, there have been no more issues with the accelerator.

- Kasilof, AK, USA

May 162012

The contact owns a 2002 Ford Focus. The contact was traveling 35 mph when the engine began making a knocking noise. The contact stated that seat valve failed and caused the pistons to fail. The contact stated that the failure caused the vehicle to run poorly and slower than normal. The dealer was notified of the failure and informed the contact that there were no known recalls for the vehicle and that the engine had to be replaced because it was not repairable. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 111,000. The VIN was not available.

- Agusta, GA, USA