2002 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Escape:

2002 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Sep 152011

Escape LX V6

Problem started when I was idling (at a stop light, etc.) the RPMs would suddenly drop to 300 or it would die suddenly. This forced me to keep my left foot on the brake while giving it gas to keep it from dying. Now, the RPMs will surge up to 4000 when in park or neutral. I'm also having problems with the RPMs surging while driving and then I'm forced to brake to keep the vehicle at the posted speed limit. When driving at lower speeds (25 or 30 mph) the cars speed will increase without my touching the gas pedal, forcing me to drive while using the brake to control my speed instead of being able to just take my foot of the gas pedal and allowing the cars combustion and lack of 'giving it gas' to maintain or reduce speed.

- , Paradise, CA, USA