$1,900.00

1. replace all three catalytic converters (1 reports)
  2. replaced 1 catalytic converter (1 reports)
2002 Ford Escape exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford Escape:

2002 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Aug 282009

Escape XLT 3.2L V6

The check engine flashed a few times and then did not come one again. The next day I was driving home from work and the car started chugging and surging. I just made it across the river and it started losing power and continued to do so rapidly. I rolled onto the shoulder of the highway, stopped and shut the vehicle off. I waited a few minutes, started it and drove around the corner to get out of the way. Had to call AAA, towed to Ford dealer. They replaced a catalytic converter, coil and gaskets, and I was told raw fuel had blown into the exhaust system, blowing out the converter. Lower intake leaking vacuum.The repair cost $1600.00. After leaving the dealer and $1600.00 poorer, I noticed a rattle underneath the vehicle, which hadn't been there before. Seven weeks later I went in for routine oil change, and told them of rattle. After four hours of waiting, I was told it now is the front converter, saying that when the rear one blew out, it probably damaged the front one. I was told a cost of $1130.00. I haven't fixed it yet. There are three catalytic converters in this thing, scary. I was told not to wait too long to get #2 replaced because it could cause damage to the one I already replaced and the 3rd one. I am afraid what is expenses are coming next; I have heard horror stories about the transmissions in these Escapes. I could buy a new car for the money I am putting into this one.

- , Eagan, MN, USA

Aug 042009

Escape XLT 3.2L V6

the truck was losing power badly on hills, then just won't go. I took it in and they said it was the catalytic converter, it was clogged, they changed it, then six weeks later, same thing, would not accelerate, I was stuck on the 400 highway heading to an appointment, once again it was a clogged catalytic converter, this is when I found out that the truck has THREE catalytic converters...they are now looking for the problem thinking it is probably the other catalytic converters, which are listed at $800.00 a piece..yikes!!!! This truck has been a good vehicle, but when something needs to be repaired, it's very expensive.

- , Midland, Ontario, Canada