9.5

$1,450.00

1. ignition coils replaced (1 reports)
  2. ignition coils, coil boots, pcm, egr valve, manifold (1 reports)
  3. junk it eventually (1 reports)
2003 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Escape:

2003 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Sep 202011

Escape XLT 3.2L V6

Like many Escape owners, I've been chasing this problem since day 1 (July 2007). Engine misfiring causes the catalytic converters to clog up, pressure builds up in the EGR and car makes no power and rpm's never rise about 2k. Always happens on rainy/humid days. I have to replace coils and boots every year, it runs fine for a month and then first time it rains my car throws codes, misses, stutters, and drives on 1 cylinder. Have had all the grounds and harnesses checked. Every mechanic says to change ignition coils or boots each time, never lasts long.

i have fried 2 pcm's in 8 years, 5 catalytic converters, 2 EGR valves, and 9 ignition coils. i cant sell it or trade it because it constantly has a CEL and no one who can use a Google search will touch it with a 10 foot pole.

- , Kc, MO, USA

Aug 222014

Escape Limited 3.2L V6

My car starts to sputter and jerk. Check engine light comes on and the code says misfire in coil 1. This has happened 3 times with different coils. So far I've had 4 of the 6 coils replaced only because I didn't have the money to get it done at once. This is a known problem with fords.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 012013

Escape 3.2L

I've always heard with Ford everything else might go but the engine will last forever... well not in my death trap of a vehicle.. It's only got 108,000 miles on it and my engine is only running on 5 cylinders instead of 6. A compression test confirmed it's only at 20%.. Constant struggle and misfiring and so annoying to drive. I will drive it until it actually dies. This vehicle has done nothing but nickle and dime me to death, and I wouldn't suggest my worst enemy to buy one of these.

- , Bradford, PA, USA

Jul 272011

Escape XLT 2.0L

Engine runs good up to 3,500 RPM misfires at around 4,000 RPM. Engine warning lamp comes on sometimes, but mainly remains off. Is there a fuel filter anywhere that could be blocked ? Have only had this vehicle for 2 weeks so I don,t know where everything is located.

- , Manila, Luzon, Philippines