1. paid for expensive transmission replacement (13 reports)
  2. replace transmission (5 reports)
  3. transmission rebuilt (4 reports)
  4. no resolution, traded car. never buying another Ford (3 reports)
2003 Ford Escape transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford Escape:

2003 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 252008

Escape XLT 3.0L V6

I've raved to everyone I know about my Escape until last week. That's when the transmission failed. Vehicle has been properly maintained and there was no warning that the transmission was about to go out. Then, all of a sudden, it wouldn't upshift in the mountains, started leaking fluid and then no 1st or reverse gears. $3100 later...That's it, no more Fords ever. It's no wonder they're losing business. Japanese vehicles from here on out.

- , Centennial, CO, USA

Jul 122008

Escape V6

I'm not one to take the time to complain about anything...but when you get no warning and you do everything the owner manual tells you to do on a regular basis...Well I'm complaining. Out of nowhere my automatic transmission gets stuck in neutral with NO WARNING!!!!! Now I just can't wait to see how in debt I will be due to this Ford Mistake ..not escape!

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 062008

Escape XLT 3.0L V6

my transmission just went out at 68,000 miles. its had all its servicing and tune ups up to date. never had any problems till i went on my way to work. i took it to aamco and they went on there diagnostic test drive it overheated and I had to pay to get it towed back there. im still waiting for a call on the final price to finish me off. i got this car thinking i wouldn't have to do major repairs, empty my bank account and miss days at work. now im at home and im going into debt. there was no warning, no lights came on till it happened. once its fixed the piece of junk is gone.

- , El Cajon, CA, USA

Aug 162007

Escape XLT 3.0L V6

My 2003 Escape only has 40,000 miles and all of a sudden it seemed to be slipping when first starting out in 1st gear. Within just a week or so (and it was hardly driven) it just went bad. I was driving and all of a sudden I couldn't get into any gear. The engine just reved and the OD light started to flash on and off.

I don't know why I keep buying Fords because I have had some major problem with each and every one. NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

- , Lansing, IL, USA

Oct 152007

Escape Limited V6

HELP! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have owned a Ford Escape Limited since Dec 2002. I bought it new. It ONLY has 31,000 miles on it! Today was a disaster day. In the rain, I made a uturn and my car got stuck against a curb since my car would NOT go into reverse! I had to get 5 guys to push my car into the street so I could go forward. I brought it to Ford (Where I purchased the vehicle) and they said it is no longer under warranty and that the "reverse clutch" went out and they want to charge me $4,021.00!!! I told them that I am the only owner and the car only has 31,000 miles on it and I couldn't understand why it would have the problem with such low miles and I never even had an accident with it. I even called AAMCO in my area of San Diego and they said that this seems like it could be a defect from Ford. Can anyone suggest what I should do? Thanks for all your help. Rick

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 192007

Escape Limited 3.2L V6

Purchased this vehicle new in December of 2002. Not a single problem until this happened. Vehicle has never been off road and even the dealership stated that it had not been abused. With on 27,000 miles, wife driving Escape (it is her car) and it stopped "moving". Towed to local dealership and after several days, catastrophic failure of the transmission and $3,500 estimate. They said that with this much of a failure that only a "new" transmission can be used. To date, no help from Ford on this repair! Transmissions should last at least 1000,000 miles! Transmission fluid was not burnt and no advance warning of this problem! If Ford does nothing, this will be my LAST FORD! And, I will tell everyone I know no to purchase a FORD if this is the way they treat customers! From my research, this is a known problem with the Escape transmission. Now, Ford covers the transmission in the Escapes for 5 years or 60,000 miles! According to the Maintenance Manual, the first service due on this transmission would be at 30,000 miles and I have not reached that mileage! FORD - WHAT GIVES??? Why not fix this under warranty???

- , Idaho Falls, ID, USA

Feb 242007

Escape LX V6

My 2003 Ford Escapes Sucks!! Transmission problems is totally unacceptable with a truck with 97,000 miles on it and still paying for it. I will never, never buy another Ford Vehicle as long as I live. Repair cost is totally off the roof around 3740.00-are you crazy. I'm so upset about this inconvenience and unnecessary stress that I will once again NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy another vehicle from Ford again. Neither will my children or grandchildren. Ford Motor Company if you keep on putting out defective cars and trucks you will be completely out of BUSINESS.

- , Detroit, MI, USA

Mar 172006

The transmission welded in drive gear just 27 days out of warranty with only 26,324 miles on the car! Ford dealership/service dept offered no help. Ford customer service no help, Ford executive board said I would have to pay entire cost of repair. This is after buying 5 new Ford/Mercury autos over the past 25 years! I traded the car "As Is" at a $2000 loss. I'LL NEVER BUY ANOTHER FORD AGAIN! My children will never own a Ford if they want me to help them pay for their cars! GREAT JOB FORD!! YOU LOST A LOYAL CUSTOMER FOR LIFE!!

- , Port Reading, NJ, USA