Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004 Ford Escape looks pretty good compared to other Ford Escape model years, but still has a trend of transmission problems, and engine problems from the NHTSA complaint data — so it's not a model year we can recommend.

1. replaced frame (2 reports)
2004 Ford Escape body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Escape:

2004 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Jul 012016

Escape Limited 3.0L V6

sub-frame rusted out.had a recall 2014 and ford put a brace as a band-aid fix.i was driving car when it let go! right wheel started to wobble car pulled to right sent me off road before i got control.lucky i just hit some bushes and missed the trees.i was close to now it sits in my driveway have to get it towed to make repairs.last year the rear fender rotted sending shock through floor ford said that is not a problem!! always bought more

- , Centerville, MA, USA

Apr 242014

Escape XLT V6

click to see larger images

frame rusted out

My wife noticed a bunch of loud banging the other day. I looked around the back of her 04 Escape to see if I noticed anything. I was shocked at what I saw. The whole rear passenger fender wast rusted and the shock mount was hanging. I can see into the trunk. I called one Ford dealer ship and explained the problem and they said to go to a body shop. I towed the Escape to a body shop and they were discgusted. They said a 10 year old car should not rust this bad. The body shop also said it would cost more to fix than what the car is worth. I cannot believe we have to total a 10 year old car because of rust problems. It is said that there seems to be several Escapes having this problem yet Ford will do nothing about it. I did call another Ford dealership and the lady at the service desk said she thinks there might be a recall to call back Monday (I did not have the vin with me). From what I have read it does not look like there is a recall but I will keep my fingers crossed! I will never buy another FORD.

- , Grayslake, IL, USA

Nov 302012

Escape Limited 3.2L V6

when I found out what the problem was I contacted Ford and they told me they could not do anything about it, was not a recall I would have had to be in an accident for them to consider a recall.

- , Highland Lakes, NJ, USA