Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004 Ford Escape looks pretty good compared to other Ford Escape model years, but still has a trend of transmission problems, and engine problems from the NHTSA complaint data — so it's not a model year we can recommend.

2004 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Escape:

2004 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Oct 102014

Escape XLT V6

rough idle, shuddering especially when idling

Drove Monday thru Friday weekly from county to county with no trouble. Then diagnosed with breast cancer Dec. 2013. Began chemo and surgery no problem. Then daily radiation I was unable to drive myself so my Escape sat from August to October 2014. When I got back under the wheel I started noticing the hesitation, shuddering and rough idle. Repair shop changed plugs and I saw a little improvement. My sister has the same issues with her Escape and shop told her it was the catalytic converters. She had them replaced and still the same issues. I wish someone will correctly diagnose these issues because I truely love my Ford Escape. I bought it on my own without my husband in 2010 and he says that was one of the best decisions I have made. He's a mechanic but he cant figure it out either. Plus he's used to working on older vehicles. Anyway, HELP ME before the gas prices go back up!

- , Farmville, VA, USA