Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004 Ford Escape looks pretty good compared to other Ford Escape model years, but still has a trend of transmission problems, and engine problems from the NHTSA complaint data — so it's not a model year we can recommend.

2004 Ford Escape fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Escape:

2004 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Jun 052015

Driving 25 to 30 miles per hour throttle sticks at 3 rpms. I had to ride brake to pull over safely. I shut car off and restarted, idle went up to 3 rpms and slowly went to 1 RPM I drove car home with no problem. I started car today with idle sticking on 2 to 3 RPM before going back to 1.

- Quincy, IL, USA

Apr 182013

Escape 6-cyl

The car stalls after putting it in gear /

- Rochester, NY, USA

Mar 012012

Escape 6-cyl

All three of the catalytic converters failed to operate in the car. We were initially told that the converters were under warranty both for mileage and time (8 year/80,000 mile warranty). Dealership requested car be bought, which we did. After the car arrived, we were told that the car was manufactured in January 2004 and that the warranty expired in January 2012. Additionally, they want to charge us over $3,000 for the repairs. I also advised them that we purchased an extended warranty in November 2007 when the car was purchased from carmax. We were advised that the extended warranty would not cover either. My car remains at the dealership because we can not afford to repair it, however, we are still making the car payments on it. I contacted Ford motors, filed a report and was later advised that they could not do anything for me.

- Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

May 032012

As I was accelerating to pass a slow moving vehicle, I pressed on the gas petal and after I was back in my proper lane, my vehicle kept speeding and not backing off on the gas. I then put the car in neural and the engine continued to keep racing. I tried to stomp lightly on the gas petal to see if it would come back up but it didn't. I then shut off the engine and called the tow truck company.

- Allendale, MI, USA

May 152012

Escape 6-cyl

I would like to add my complaint to the acceleration problems of the 2001-2004 Ford Escapes which my 2004 has also experienced. There have been a few situations over the last 2-3 years where my cars engine would suddenly start racing while parked at idle. When the issue first began I was able to tap the gas pedal with my foot and the car would return to a standard idle. The more recent instances now require turning the vehicle off and it would idle normal again after being restarted. I believe this problem is connected to a current investigation and the letter dated 7/10/12 written to Ford from the center for auto safety. This may also be connected to a prior recall 04V-574 that I was recently made aware of. Please keep me advised of your efforts or anything I can do to help. Thank you

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Mar 062012

At first, my Escape only started hesitating on rainy days when I got to about 45-55 mph. At first I thought I had bad gas so I stopped at auto zone to get dry gas for it. This seem to work like a charm and I thought the problem was fixed. Then it happened again; spudering, not accelerating, car shaking, and engine light began to flash once I reached 45mph. This had been an issue for a few months on and off, then one sunny day its began hesitating and misfiring very badly now not only in 5th gear but at idle and 1st gear. It misfired and hesitated every time I drove it for a week before the mechanic could get it into the shop. I did a lot of research on the two codes that the engine was pulling P0305 and P0316 pending. I found out that there were a lot of people who had the same problem as me when their Escapes reach 90,000 miles or higher, some even worse. People are saying that the issues being caused are a result of Ford putting in the wrong spark plugs which is causing the computer chip to burn out leading to misfires in the coil packs. My mechanic just informed me that it will cost $400 to fix two of the coils and there is only a 50/50 chance that it will fix the problem (for now). He said it will probably happen again but there is no telling how long that might be, it might be right away, a week from now, or a year. Will all these people having the same issue with no way to tell if it is actually going to fix the problem there should be a recall or at least a warning to owners saying what may happen once the car gets over 100,000 miles.

- West Middlesex, PW, USA