CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004 Ford Escape looks pretty good compared to other Ford Escape model years, but still has a trend of transmission problems, and engine problems from the NHTSA complaint data — so it's not a model year we can recommend.

2004 Ford Escape suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Escape:

2004 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 4 of 7)

Oct 262014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving the vehicle when I started hearing a loud thumping noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. Upon inspection I discovered there was rust inside the rear passenger wheel well and that the shock mount was unattached from the vehicle.

- Mount Prospect, IL, USA

Dec 012014

Escape

Right rear wheel well rotted out where shock attaches to the body. Seems through research that this is problem with most owners in the mid West. Contacted local Ford dealer and informed to contact you as well as Ford Motor Company. The took pictures to forward on to the engineering department at Ford.

- Glendale Heights, IL, USA

Dec 022014

Escape

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the rear passenger side shock mount was rusted and fractured. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 162,000.

- Greenville, OH, USA

Nov 032014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I had to avoid a bicyclist and ran up over the curb at a speed of about 35, I noticed right away upon driving away that there was a great rattle in the right side rear suspension. I had it looked at by my insurance company, they told me the upper strut mount broke off. Because of the rust noone will fix it. The car otherwise is in perfect shape, no other rust present on the car. This obviously is a defect in the Ford product, Ford will not return my calls!

- Sun Prairie, WI, USA

Nov 012014

Escape

A few weeks ago I was driving slowly down a dirt road and I started to hear a bumping noise towards the back of my car, only when I when over bumps. I figured it was just gear in my trunk making the noise and I was going to take a look at it later, but it didn't seem like anything to be concerned about. Yesterday I finally got all my ignition coils fixed after some trouble with the mechanics doing it wrong originally. When I left he told me I may have a suspension problem, but that it is not likely to be a problem aside from the annoyingness of it. When I got home I decided to have a look around my car and after discovering that it did not have to do with my trunk I looked under the wheel well and saw that the suspension mount had completely rusted off and had bouncing around as I drove. It was completely detached, and after goodling this I saw that many other people have this same exact problem and that it is very unsafe, and most likely to expensive to fix. I had been driving with this serious problem for a few weeks with no idea of the danger that it could cause. There is no recall on it but I feel that with the amount of people with this problem and the severity of it, Ford needs to do something about this.

- Carnation , WA, USA

Nov 152014

Escape

Driving and sounds like a square bowling ball is rolling around in back. Look to find a rusty mess from shock mount going through wheel well. Asked around and seems to be common problem. Thank goodness I wasn't far from home. Very dangerous, why is this not recalled yet!

- Toledo, OH, USA

Oct 212014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

We recently took our 2004 Ford Escape to get it looked at because every time we hit a bump there was a loud thud sound in the back right. We found out that the rear right wheel well of our 2004 Ford Escape is completely rusted out. The corrosion has caused a major suspension problem and it's been deemed undrivable. What's worse is that no mechanic or body shop will attempt to fix the issue because it would be considered a liability issue if anything were to happen they would be at fault. The rest of the vehicle is in perfect condition, but because of one awful defect all we can do is sell it for parts.

- Trempealeau, WI, USA

Oct 012014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Noticed a burning rubber smell. Found that rear shock tower had rusted through and shock was rubbing on tire.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Sep 142014

Escape 6-cyl

Loud rattle then grinding noise. When I pulled over I had to remove the shock mount which was jammed between the car and my tire. The shock has now popped through the plastic. This is my only form of transportation and the dealer said there was no recall. The other side is rusted out as well. In addition, when damp out, the #5 plug is missing causing damage to the converter. Total estimated tune up repair close to $400. During the past year tyrod, brakes & rotors, wheel bearing, brake hoses, power steering, radio stays on when car is shut off unless fuse is pulled. Fuel pump was replaced at 70000 in 2011. Have to take the loss. Ford should refund for this defect. The mound is not rusted, just the wheel wells it is attached to.

- Palos Heights, IL, USA

Jan 012004

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle brought into repair shop and found that the engine cradle and was rotted considerably. A recall notice on this problem was sent to the customer and customer took into bright Ford, Inc for the recall. Repair was done several months later and returned to customer May 16, 2004. Three months later we again have this vehicle in the shop and upon inspection the lower control arm bracket rotted off of the cradle and caused the lower control arm to be only mounted by the rear bolt. This car is considered a hazard to drive due to the right front tire movement not being controlled by steering. Brighton Ford on their invoice #19744, found the front sub frmae rusting through on right hand side. Sent quote for new sub-frame and were denied and they were told to put this cross brace on the vehicle. This repair is not in line with the repairs that were needed. The vehicle cannot be driven at this time and brighton Ford says it is your responsibility to determine repair. This was not a safe repair and knowingly told customer that it was repaired.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Jan 012004

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle brought into repair shop and found that the engine cradle and was rotted considerably. A recall notice on this problem was sent to the customer and customer took into bright Ford, Inc for the recall. Repair was done several months later and returned to customer May 16, 2004. Three months later we again have this vehicle in the shop and upon inspection the lower control arm bracket rotted off of the cradle and caused the lower control arm to be only mounted by the rear bolt. This car is considered a hazard to drive due to the right front tire movement not being controlled by steering. Brighton Ford on their invoice #19744, found the front sub frame rusting through on right hand side. Sent quote for new sub-frame and were denied and they were told to put this cross brace on the vehicle. This repair is not in line with the repairs that were needed. The vehicle cannot be driven at this time and brighton Ford says it is your responsibility to determine repair. This was not a safe repair and knowingly told customer that it was repaired.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Aug 202014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Noticed loud rattle, knocking in rear of truck. Stopped to have mechanic look at it. Discovered severe erosion in rear wheel well and shock mechanism completely separated from vehicle. Appears to be very common for 2004-05 Escapes.

- Lynbrook, NY, USA

Sep 012014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

On a trip to upper peninsula, Michigan this past week we experienced a failure of the front subframe crossbrace, a near catastrophic event as the piece broke. We were in grayling, Michigan and were stopped near an independent service provider who showed us the damage and attempted to find a used part. The one he found had the exact same rust and break as ours and thus he ordered a new one from Ford. In the meantime we were forced to rent a car and continue on to our vacation destination. After we returned home I learned that there had been a recall of these vehicles for just such a failure. I took the car and the broken crossbrace to mike castrucci Ford in alexandria, ky where the warranty officer informed me that our Escape was not part of the factory recall. She was able to tell me why and was very helpful although clear that nothing could be done. The argument was presented that the failed part in the recall was made by a particular manufacturer and used in certain plants or vehicles. I get the point but I have a car that failed in exactly the same way due to excessive rust and presented the same risk of catastrophic failure that we narrowly avoided by luck. The repair replacement cost over $1000 plus labor. I believe vehicles like mine should be part of the recall. Our front wheel could have totally collapsed while we were traveling at high speed.

- Newport, KY, USA

Aug 222014

Escape 6-cyl

The right rear wheel well is rusting out so that the shock to break loose. I was told it's unsafe by several mechanics/body shops to drive. This is the only car that I have to Transport my three children and it's not going to be a cheap fix. This needs to be recalled before someone gets injured or worse!!!

- Ravenna, OH, USA

Sep 062014

Escape

While driving heard a loud clunking noise coming from the passenger side rear wheel well. Arrived home to inspect the area of concern. Found that the passenger side rear shock mount had completely separated from the wheel well due to extensive rusting. This allowed the shock to travel upward striking the plastic interior trim panel. This vehicle was garage kept until two years ago. It also passed state inspection requirements nine months ago. I am not a mechanical engineer. However, I do not believe a critical suspension component should be attached to sheet metal that is prone to rust. I have taken the time and made the effort to inspect several other vehicle manufacturers and find that their suspension system is connected to a solid component of the frame. Obviously this is an engineered design flaw of a critical safety component that possibly could result in unsafe handling at highway speed. With only one rear shock attached to the vehicle an uncontrollable rear sway could occur resulting in a possible roll over. Given the number of reported complaints of the same nature, which given known statistics is a small percentage of actual cases, I do request a recall to be made.

- Madison, NH, USA

Sep 052014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The right rear shock tower rusted through and the shock has come through the plastic moulding. The car drives but is unstable and unsafe.

- Paw Paw, MI, USA

Aug 302013

Escape

I was driving home from the store and started hearing a loud banging noise coming from the rear of the truck. Upon investigation I discovered what I believe to be a major safety concern in my 2004 Ford Escape. The rear passenger side wheel well over the shock tower completely rusted out and separated over the shock. I have been told and seen that this seems to be a common problem with my vehicle and other years of Escapes. After speaking with an independent body shop in my area they informed me this was a common problem they have seen several times before. But when I contacted 3 local Ford dealers they all claimed to have never seen it before. And wanted to charge me a hundred dollars just to look at it. I am told the vehicle is undriveable in this condition. And that in most cases can not be repaired. After doing much research online I found hundreds of other people with the same exact problem. I have also contacted Ford and am awaiting a response. I would like to see a recall made on this as I can see this being a major problem that could have caused an accident. And is going to be a very expensive repair job if it is even repairable. I have photos but am not sure how to attach them.

- Hilbert, WI, USA

Aug 042014

Escape 6-cyl

After investigating a loud noise. I found out that my right rear shock tower was rusted out and making the noise. After researching the problem I found out that there are many people out there with the same problem. This is a very costly fix that Ford should have do do as a recall. This is also dangerous. If this part breaks while driving it could cause a accident or worse. Please consider this problem and as a safety issue. Recall this problem with Ford. The car is undrivable.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Jul 232014

Escape

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving various speeds he heard an abnormal sound coming from the right rear passenger side of the vehicle. The contact discovered that right rear wheel well was covered with rust causing the shocks to fail. An independent mechanic discovered that the shock absorber needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jul 282014

Escape 6-cyl

While my son was driving he heard a loud clunking noise came from back of the car. He stop, pull over and take a look to see what happening and when he look in to the rear wheel well he see it was damaged badly. He made appointment to take car to Ford dealer to check it out. They checked it and told him that the shock mount had rusted completely through the shock mount and no longer attach to the car, they told him that he should not drive it because it could cause bad accident and very dangerous. He asked them about the corrosion recall which I got a letter from Ford but they said the recall is for a corrosion with the sub frame where it connect to the lower control arm and nothing about the problem my car having. They told him it will cost about $3000 to have it repair. I am very upset about this, the car only 10 years old. I check on line to see anyone has the same problem with 2004 Ford Escape with the same issue I could not believed that there are numerous complaint about same issue and it caught my eyes that most people had this problem at the same period of 10 years. I want to see the government should force Ford to have a recall before someone get killed or hurt. Ford should stand behind their quality if they are trying to hide this problem they should be punish to the extend of the law.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA