CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

3.4

2005 Ford Escape accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Jan 102011

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving down the freeway this morning and my sunroof exploded! the sound it made was a loud pow, and some glass shards fell onto my seats. There were no large trucks around or sight of debris flying my way. I have to wait a few days for the glass to be shipped from Ford before I can have it installed, and I have to pay the deductible of $500 through my insurance, and there is no guarantee that this won't happen again. I've seen many complaints online of the sunroof exploding in Ford, and it's not likely that a rock can cause this kind of damage on top of a car. Ford should be providing warranties for this type of defect.

- Seattle, WA, USA

May 242010

Escape

Sunroof shattered in our 2005 Ford Escape for no reason. Luckily we were not driving at the time. Ford would not cover the defect. When checking on line there seems to be alot of complaints about this including times when the glass broke while driving. Ordered new glass for sunroof at my own expense.

- Ocean Gate, NJ, USA

Oct 252004

Escape 6-cyl

While driving sun roof exploded. Consumer pulled over. No injuries reported. The vehicle was towed to the dealer.

- Holland, MI, USA