Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 11 of 15)

Mar 202014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

My 2005 Escape is now junk, according to 2 different mechanics and one body shop. When I hit a bump there would be a loud noise from the right rear of the vehicle.the right rear inner fender has rusted through beyond repair. The shock tower is adjacent to this. I was told not to drive it because it is unsafe. The left rear is showing signs of the same problem. I believe this is made from inferior metal and/or a serious design flaw. I have complained to Ford. I have heard that this is a widespread problem. I heard that Mazda made the Escape for Ford. The Mazda tribute has the same problem.

- Ridgway, PA, USA

Mar 032014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the sub frame was rusted and detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that a new sub frame was needed to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Revere, MA, USA

Feb 102014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

My right rear fender has rotted out and my vehicle is undriveable. I contacted a dealer and he informed me the right inner fender is not available and on back order by Ford with no eta. I have been waiting now 7 weeks and have to get rides to work. In this state my vehicle will not pass inspection and I have no transportation. I can't even sell it with the issue it has. It is parked in my garage. Please assist me in contacting Ford to resolve the problem. I have read several online complaints about Ford Escape drivers having this issue. There should be a recall!!!!

- Getzville, NY, USA

Apr 082014

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle is a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving the vehicle a loud clunking sound was heard coming from the rear passenger side. A rattling noise could then be heard with every slight bump in the road. Vehicle was taken to a garage where they found that the whole right rear passenger side wheel well was completely rusted through exposing the shocks and struts, the carpeting can also be seen through the hole, and water in the taillight compartment because of a hole there also - thus leaving the vehicle unsafe and undrivable. Took vehicle to an auto body shop and the estimate to fix the car was $3200. Called Ford motors who informed me that there is a recall for this exact same problem, but only for 2001-2004 models. Apparently from all of the complaints that can be found on the internet in regards to the 2005 models with the exact same problem, the 2005 models should be included in the recall. I will definitely not be buying another Ford motors vehicle anytime soon!

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Mar 032014

Escape 6-cyl

My 2005 Escape passenger side rear wheel well is rusted to the point of disintegration and the shock is close to collapsing which will allow the wheel to collapse into the rear wheel well. If that happens on the interstate I feel sure it will cause a terrible accident. I am the only owner of this vehicle, it has never been in an accident, it has less than 90,000 miles and is garage kept.I looked on the internet and saw hundreds if not thousands of 05 Escapes with the same problem. My local dealer has seen multiple instances of this exact same problem. Both the local Ford body shop and independent body shops agree that this a manufacturing defect. The local dealership says they cannot address this problem as Ford refuses to address the issue. I guess it will take someone getting killed before Ford Motor Company admits the defect.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Mar 202014

Escape 6-cyl

My wife had been complaining about a loud slapping coming from the right rear of the vehicle. I took it for a drive. I discovered that the passenger side rear wheel well is completely rusted out and the shock absorber was just bouncing loose creating a horrible noise and also noticed shock breaking thru the interior of the vehicle. Noticed on line that others have similar or exact problem. Years 2001 thru 2004 just recalled. What about 2005's. there's nothing else wrong with the vehicle and only 82,000 miles. Very disappointed and puts my family at risk and in a bind for a safe vehicle to drive.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Mar 272014

Right rear shock mount came apart and damaged wheel well. Upon further inspection dealer said entire assembly had rusted apart from the inside out with no visible corrosion from the outside of vehicle. Ford Motor Company was contacted and offered no recourse or repair.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Jan 062014

Escape 6-cyl

The right rear shock tower rusted through the wheel well into the rear compartment breaking a hole through the interior compartment. There is currently no parts in stock to repair this as we are told they are on nationwide backorder and this is a huge safety issue. The other rear shock area has a significant amount of rust also. Approximately 1 week later both break lines broke from severe corrosion while moving at approximately 10 mph (pulling in my driveway). I was fortunate this happened there and not on the highway as I could have been in a very serious accident along with my 3 year old son. These two things should not be happening with the age of this vehicle. The body should be holding up better than this. I just saw there was a recall for model years 2001-2004 for severe rust issues one resulting in a crash. The manufacturing date of my vehicle is 09/2004.

- Escanaba, MI, USA

Apr 032014

While driving at 35 mph on uneven pavement, I noticed banging in the right rear area of the vehicle. All doors and hatch were secure and the jack wasnt loose. After a day or two of searching I took the Escape to a local auto repair shop I trust. They found the whole inner quarter wheel house snapped off the rail. The banging was the shock hitting inside the passenger cabin. He immediately took my keys and said the car is undrivable. Online if you google this same issue it is a common problem with the 2005 Escape model rusting please Ford do the right thing and recall and repair my 2005 Ford Escape.

- Milford, OH, USA

Dec 022013

Escape 4-cyl

I noticed the smell of exhaust fumes in the vehicle and a few weeks later heard load banging noise coming from rear cargo area. I look and saw the rear wheel well was rusted threw into the cargo area and the rear shock mounts were rusted off.

- Franklin, WI, USA

Apr 012014

Right rear wheel house is rusted so bad the shock is about to come loose and cause loss of control or could rub the tire and cause it to rupture. I have been advised by a mechanic that it is unsafe to drive.

- Gahanna, OH, USA

Mar 292014

Escape 6-cyl

The right rear body panel in the wheel well completely rusted through causing the top of the shock to detach from the body and almost penetrate into the inside of the passenger cabin.

- Petersburg, MI, USA

Mar 012014

Original owner of a garage kept, 2005 Ford Escape with 105K miles. I noticed a loud banging sound coming from the right rear wheel well which was very loud inside the car. I had the service tech replacing the tires on my other Ford vehicle take a look and he said the wheel well was rusting away and the shock mount was falling away from the frame of the car. This is a serious and dangerous hazard which needs to be fixed asap. Every service tech I show says they've never seen anything like it. The undercoating was sprayed directly on to the vehicle and no other method of protection in the wheel well was used by Ford on this make/model. My vehicle was top of the line, loaded, when purchased. I'm concerned for the safety of my family and myself. Ford needs to address this problem asap and take responsibility for the poor design.

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Feb 012014

Took my 2005 Ford Escape to multiple body shops to acquire quotes due to body rusting at both the right and left rear wheel wells. All body shops stated this is a common problem on Ford Escapes, and that it wasn't worth fixing due to cost. They stated it was a safety issue/concern, and I should rid myself of the vehicle as soon as financially possible. I searched this and found 100S of vehicles with the same problem and concern. I have two vehicles much older than this, and have no rust issues.

- Mount Vernon, OH, USA

Mar 192014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, a sudden bang was heard from the rear end of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the rear wheel housing panel was perforated due to rust and needed to be replaced. The manufacture was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 86,000.

- Crown Point , IN, USA

Mar 242014

Escape 6-cyl

While driving begin to experience a loud rattling sound, from the rear passenger side. Became very loud with the movement of the vehicle. Sounded as if small pieces had fallen off the back tire. As soon as I got home I looked and there was a large rusted out tear in the wheel well, located right above the mount for the shock absorber. I did contact my service advisor at village Ford in dearborn Michigan. I took the vehicle up to be checked, he sent me over to their body shop.. I was told this was definitely a "safety issue" and he had seen this before on other Ford Escapes. This is a flaw in the body.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Mar 182014

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the rear passenger's side of the frame was completely rusted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who advised the contact that the frame would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 87,124. Uupdated 05/06/14 MA updated 05/09/2014

- Wyoming, MI, USA

Mar 132014

Escape 6-cyl

The passenger rear wheel well has excessive rust which has caused the shock to come through the inside of the vehicle. I have researched this problem and it appears that others with the same model have had the same issue. I do have pictures.

- Hinsdale, NY, USA

Mar 152014

Escape 6-cyl

As I was driving home from work I started hearing a thumping sound from the right rear when I would hit a bump at first I thought maybe the back door wasn't closed all the way, so when I got home and parked my vehicle I checked the door and it was closed all the way. After I saw the door was closed all the way I decided to look at the right rear wheel since that is where the noise was coming from. When I looked into the right rear wheel well that is when I discovered that it had rusted out and I could see that the top shock mount is almost completely rusted away, so now I have to leave it sit until I can afford to have it repaired. After my discovery I went online and searched and I found out that this is a common problem with the 2005 Ford Escape. I would appreciate it if this matter was investigated and a recall is issued, since this is a major safety issue.

- Kankakee, IL, USA

Feb 222014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, a sudden banging noise was heard from the rear end of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was confirmed that the rear wheel housing panel was perforated due to rust and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 165,000.

- New Hartford, CT, USA