Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 12 of 15)

Mar 182014

Escape 4-cyl

Driving under normal conditions, heard a loud banging sound.was getting worse and looked at rear passenger tire side. Noticed the entire shock mount rusted and broken loose from undercarriage. Very dangerous if traveling at higher speed. Have owned over 20 cars and never had this happen. What is going on Ford"??"

- Stow, OH, USA

Mar 102014

Escape 6-cyl

It started off as light rattling from the rear passenger side wheel area. As the week progressed, the rattling got louder and louder and occurred more frequently. At that point, my daughter was afraid to drive the vehicle. When we inspected the area where the noise came from, we noticed that the inside of the wheel well was thoroughly rusted out and we could see through it, into the interior of the car. Also, the shock was no longer attached to the frame. The damage is so extensive that we are afraid to drive the vehicle to a repair shop.

- Springfield, PA, USA

Feb 012014

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving my 2005 Ford Escape and started hearing a loud banging noise from the rear passenger side of the car. After I found out what the problem was a few days later I haven't drove it since. The rear passenger side fender well/ wheel well was completely rusted away, the shock mount was not even connected to the wheel well. Its unsafe to drive and there are hundreds of thousands of people who are having the same problem with the 04,05, and 06 Escape. There is no recall on it yet and Ford knows about the problem so I've read and are doing nothing about it. Insurance will not cover this flaw from Ford.

- Akron, OH, USA

Feb 192014

Escape 6-cyl

The above 2005 Ford Escape has rusted completely through inside the right rear fenderwell. This was brought to my attention during a recent inspection. This is a serious safety issue as it affects the integrity of the shock absorber which could fail and cause an accident resulting in injury or death. I have contacted Ford but have not received a reply. I noticed that there are many online complaints about this same issue. I would like to see a recall to address this serious problem.

- Honesdale, PA, USA

Mar 032014

Extreme rusting of the frame on the rear passenger side wheel well above shocks.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Feb 072014

I have a 2005 Ford Escape that got a severe shock damage to the right rear wheel well. There is so much damage from the rust, inside the insulation, that the shocks are no longer attached to the frame and continually Ram into the interior panels. I purchased this car new in 2005. All other wheel wells are in great condition as well as the car. This is a clear manufacturer problem. This is a major safety issue. If the shock would have came off while I was driving at 60mph and hit the road or something under the vehicle it could have caused a major accident and people could have been injured. There should be a recall issued for it.

- West Saint Paul, MN, USA

Feb 162014

Escape 4-cyl

While driving, I hit a pot hole that caused my right rear strut tower to break through the inside of my vehicle, rendering it undrivable. My collision repair man has informed me that the pot hole was not the only culprit and that the wheel well was so rotted and rusted that it compromised the structural integrity of that area of the vehicle, and had the area not been rusted, the pot hole would not have caused the damage. He advised me that the issue is due to poor design in the 2005 and 2006 model year Ford Escapes and that this is a widespread safety issue that Ford has not taken responsibility for. They have recalled 230,000 of their minivans for over rust issues (in 2011), but not any of the Escapes. Because the damage was due to a design flaw, and not just a pothole, my insurance may not cover the $1500 in repairs. I have only owned the vehicle for a year and the dealership did not notify me that there may have been an issue, and the lemon law period has passed.

- Cattaraugus, NY, USA

Jan 282014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle made a loud noise when driving over a road bump. The contact inspected the vehicle and found that the rear passenger's side wheel well metal was no longer attached to the vehicle because of excessive corrosion and rust. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 150,000.

- Warren, MI, USA

Jan 292014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, a sudden banging noise was heard from the rear of the vehicle. The contact discovered that the rear passenger's side wheel housing panel was rusted. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was confirmed that the rear wheel housing panel was perforated due to rust and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 140,000.

- Collins, OH, USA

Feb 252014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph over a pot hole, a loud banging noise was heard from the rear passenger's side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who discovered a hole in the rear passenger's side wheel well and a detached shock absorber. The mechanic indicated the defect was due to rusting of the wheel well. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 140,000.

- Sharon, WI, USA

Feb 202014

Escape 6-cyl

On 2/20/14 I was traveling 65 mph on state route 219 in boston, NY, when a loud banging noise suddenly began to occur in the rear of my vehicle. This noise scared me and forced me to pull over on the shoulder of the expressway to inspect the rear area of my vehicle (while traffic continued at 65 mph). I could not see anything at that time so I slowly and cautiously drove my vehicle home. Upon further inspection, my husband found that the right rear(passenger) side rear shock had become totally detached from the completely rusted out inner wheel well and was protruding into the inside of my vehicle. Excessive rust could be seen along with several holes that had once been part of the wheel well. My vehicle is unable to be driven and is too costly to fix. After doing some research, I found that I am not the only owner of 2005 Ford Escape with this issue. This needs to be a recall! fortunately, this defect did not cause a serious accident because this is an integral component of my vehicles suspension. This 'defect' needs to be rectified before someone dies or becomes seriously injured.

- Orchard Park, NY, USA

Feb 212014

Noticed a rattling sound on the right rear of the vehicle. Upon inspection, found most of the rear wheel well where the shock absorber mounts to be rusted, and parts of the metal actually gone. The top of the right rear shock is basically not attached to any structure, as the metal around the mount has completed rusted. Could see the backside of the vehicle interior where the metal has rusted away.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Feb 192014

Noticed a loud noise coming from the rear of the vehicle while traveling on a rural road about 50 mph. When arrived at destination, noticed severe rust in wheel well near shock mount and through to storage compartment. Online research indicates that this problem is common and that Ford is aware of the problem but not doing anything for owners yet.

- Huntley, IL, USA

Feb 052014

Escape 6-cyl

The rear right fender well (around the shock) is rusted and has deteriorated so badly that it has become detached from the body of the car. There's a banging noise when driving the vehicle --- this problem makes for unsafe driving condition -- if something breaks or the tire blow out because of this it can cause a terrible accident.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 062014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

This is a 2005 Ford Escape with the same problem reported by hundreds of other people on facebook, Ford forums, this agencies own website etc. The rear right inner wheel well has totally disintegrated leaving the top of the shock absorber unconnected to anything. Ford have not carried out a recall for this dangerous situation though apparently the parts involved were modified on newer vehicles to prevent this happening. The problem appears worse in northern states with bad winters where salty water becomes trapped inside the waterproofing sealant and the wheel well accelerating the rusting process. Updated 04/16/14

- Saint Joseph, MI, USA

Jan 282014

I am here to write an incident about my my right rear suspension breaking away from the strut tower support bracket. It was all rusted out. The left side of the car is fine. I have seen quite a lot of these same problems on the internet. When we took our car in to the Ford dealership they called it a catastrophic failure. Car was unsafe too drive. We feel this is a safety concern for owners of this vehicle and, the public.

- Memphis, MI, USA

Jan 272014

2005 Ford Escape made loud banging noise from rear passenger wheel area. Upon inspection noticed shock mount rusted away from body. Large hole that was completely rusted. Nothing structural to hold shock in place. Ford dealer couldn't fix. Told to take to auto body shop. They ordered part and Ford has it on back order.....

- Union Grove, WI, USA

Jan 312014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the rear shock mount became detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the rear shock housing was perforated due to rust. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 150,000.

- Union Grove, WI, USA

Jan 272014

Escape 6-cyl

I own a 2005 Ford Escape 87,00 miles, garage kept. I bought it new from the Ford dealer. So I hear a loud banging noise and take it into a shop to get checked out. Shop calls me in awe" he said that right side inter fender wheel well and shock tower has completely rusted away and is no longer connected to the vehicle?he also said you can see to the inside of the vehicle. He said in all his years, hes never seen anything like it. He said that a 1990 car should not have this damage. So I start to google and low and behold hundreds of complaints of the same thing. It seems to be a major issue with 2004, 2005 and some 2006 Ford Escape models and Ford will not recall or make good on their poor craftsmanship. I contacted the dealer where I bought my vehicle and spoke to a repair manager who said he will call me back"so after a few hours (he googled himself), he calls and says tough luck"have a nice day. There are all kinds of pictures on the net that look like my car".I took my own pictures but this is appalling and Ford needs to be help accountable. This is a structure problem and very dangerous. I will probably have a hard time finding someone to even attempt to repair this as the don't want the liability (especially seeing I have 2 car seats in my vehicle.)

- Aliquippa, PA, USA

Dec 182013

Escape 6-cyl

The rear passenger side tire-well rusted out. It rusted where the shock is attached. This entire piece rusting caused the shock to no longer be attached to my vehicle. We later discover the accelerated corrosion was from faulty drains in the vehicle. Ford acknowledges the drain problem but will not take responsibility for the expedited rusting. With faulty drains it is only a matter of time before the other tire-well also rusts out. Luckily I discovered the problem when I did, I had been planning on towing a uhaul cross-country two days out. If I had been towing and the shock gave out, the mechanic at the dealership said my vehicle would have started to roll.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA