Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 15)

Feb 132016

109,000 miles on my car, had a slight rumbling sound in trunk area, sound recently got much louder. Brought it in for an annual nys inspection and car would not pass due to right wheel hull rust. Large hole in wheel well, was advised to not drive the car and contact a body shop. Quoted $600-$800 for the repair. Upon research it appears this is a common problem in this model car. 2001-2004 Escapes were recalled for the same reason but not the 2005.

- West Sayville, NY, USA

Jul 092015

In July of 2015 I brought my 2005 Ford Escape to the dealer because of very loud noise in the rear while driving. Noise was the same whether on a street or the highway. The mechanic found the passenger side rear wheel well was completely rusted out. I have a friend with the very same make, model, year and is now going through the exact same issue. There are other areas of rust on the body that seems to me to be coming on prematurely. I see there is a recall for this issue, but only up to model year 2004. Please....the 2005's have the very same issue!

- Lowell, MI, USA

Feb 012016

The rear right wheel well is rusted and the shock fell off. It is dangerous and scary. The matrrial used in building it is very poor

- Henniker, NH, USA

Dec 012015

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the frame rail that the shock absorbers were bolted to was rusted significantly as well as the interior fenders. The vehicle was inspected, but not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 137,076.

- Boonsboro, MD, USA

Feb 062016

Rear passenger wheel well rusting out around shock attachment. Just discovered this today but through online research it appears to be a very common problem and should be a know issue to the manufacturer - they had a rust recall for 2001 - 2004 models

- Berkley, MI, USA

Jan 222016

Rear wheel well rust out. We purchased this car new at al packers white marsh Ford 11-13-04 we also opted for the complete ziebart package. The end of Dec.15 my wife said thumping noise from rear heard when going over a bump in road. I checked all around and under car, found nothing. On Jan.22nd 2016 when she got home from work she said get your coat you need to see this. When I got to the car I could not believe what I saw. Most of the ziebart under coating was gone from the right rear wheel well and there was a huge hole that ran from the back of the wheel well forwards through and past the shock tower mount.then the blizzard of 2016 happened. I got on the net and found out we are not the only people this has happened to. I called Ford usa headquarters on Jan.26 and 27th. I was told there are no service bullitens or recalls on my vehicle at this time. I was given a case number, and told take the car back to a Ford dealer so a certified Ford person could go over the car and document the problem and give me an estimate to fix the problem. Then if I get the repairs done keep my receipts, and if and when it becomes a recall I might get partial or full refund. Thanks for calling Ford have a nice day. After this I took the car to our local mechanic. He said he didn't do that work he sent me to a local body shop that told me it was a major job they said thousands of dollars. File a complaint and go back to Ford. Most of all park it do not drive the car it is not safe. The car window sticker says final assembly Kansas plant. Does anybody else have that same sticker" is this problem a bad batch of parts at only that Kansas plant" this was not an escort, aspire, even a Ranger it was a 30,000. Dollar Escape. They got the money they should fix this my car has 84,000 miles.

- Dundalk, MD, USA

Dec 012015

The rear right wheel well is severely rusted. The shock mount is detached from the body and frame. The shock is loose and fell off. There is no way to weld the mount to the frame. The repair will cost thousands of dollars and teh vehicle is unsafe to drive

- Norwood, MA, USA

Jan 022016

Loud banging coming from right rear of vehicle driving down city street. Brought vehicle in for repair and was told the right rear passenger shock tower was completely rusted through the vehicle body to the point of entering the vehicle interior. I am told that the rear axle can tear away from the vehicle resulting in accident and possible injury or death.

- Peshtigo, WI, USA

Sep 152015

Right rear shock mount completely rusted out, bought car brand new, only 60,000 miles on it. Come to find out all Ford Escapes this year are having the same issue. This is a serious problem because this is a suspension and handling issue, car was very difficult to drive and keep in lane. The problem has it's own facebook page, 2004-2006 Ford Escape. Very poor engineering design mounting shock to sheetmetal.

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Dec 212015

My son was complaining that the back end of the car began rattling and "jumping" while driving in the city in Nov of 2015. We had it checked out in Dec and was told and shown how unsafe the car was to drive, due to the entire right rear wheel well and strut was completely rusted away. The only thing that was holding the wheel to the car was the plastic molding of the trunk area which was also melting away from the heat.I could not believe a car could disintegrate and deteriorate so badly. In good conscious the auto repair owner would not allow us to drive the car anymore. Nor would I want to. Plus, the cost to fix it was not worth the price of the car, and he couldnt fix it. He told me to list it on craigs list to sell the car in parts. The rest of the car is in great condition, after I spent $6000, to buy the car in Aug of 2014, then another $2000 for 4 new tires, brake lines, and oil leaks!! who knows what else would have come up. I just glad my son did not get hurt driving home from college 21/2 hrs on the highway. I wish I knew about this exact common problem of 1000 other peoples complaints. Ford needs to be accountable of the particular problem of faulty material. I do not know how many people have gotten hurt, and how many more need to get hurt before something is done,

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Dec 202015

The passenger rear wheel well and shock tower is completely rusted away and the body is coming away from the frame and the shock tower is loose from the frame. This is a common problem with the Escape and should be addressed by Ford before someone is killed or injuried.

- Polo, IL, USA

Oct 012015

I've been told the rear shock mount has rusted out on this unibody constructed vechicle. When I drive the car, and if I hit any sort of a bump in the road, huge sound from the back as if the rear end of the car is going to fall off. I understand many others have had similar problem. Cost to fix, if possible is about $4000. Car is worth about the same amount. I was told by auto body guy that a recall on this may exist or that Ford is aware of the problem and may be offering up a fix.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

Dec 112015

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while the vehicle was being inspected, the technician stated that the rear passenger side fender well was severely corroded. As result, the shock absorber was detached. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however, it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 148,000. The VIN was not provided. Updated 03/10/16

- New Bethlehem, PA, USA

Nov 242015

Heard a noise near rear wheel house. Upon inspection it was discovered that the wheel house on the passenger rear was completely rusted to the point that the shock was just barely hanging on. The repair would cost more than the vehicle is worth. Lots of complaints on same issue that Ford refuses to address or correct. Should be compensation and/or a recall. Also looks like the same thing is happening to the other side. Nice job Ford!

- Homestead, FL, USA

Aug 232015

Was driving along city street when I went over a small bump, heard a loud thud! the wheel well on back passenger side was rusted away where the strut connects. Or where it was once connected... 155,673 miles, this is my only vehicle and unsafe to drive my family in.

- Shakopee, MN, USA

Oct 302015

While driving the vehicle, there was a noise in the back passenger side of the vehicle when going over bumps only. We could not locate the noise inside the vehicle. (it sounds like the glass or the tire jack, were not secure.) the auto shop explained, that the vehicle is not attached to the shock, and it along with exhaust is coming in through the truck area. Explained that the vehicle was a ┐death trap┐ if hit from behind, the vehicle that hit this one would go right though this vehicle. Accorded to the auto shop, the issue is not fixable.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Nov 152015

Total rust in rear passenger side wheel well.

- Stewartstown, PA, USA

Nov 072015

2005 Ford Escape rear left inner wheel well rusted through and shock support broken loose it has 150,000 miles on it.

- Edwardsville, KS, USA

Oct 302015

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the subframe had severe corrosion. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the subframe needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in a manufacturer's recall related to the failure. The failure mileage was 111,000. Updated 1/12/16

- Dunkirk, NY, USA

Oct 302015

I just bought a 2005 Ford Escape after getting fed up with Subaru's notorious headgasket issues only to find out now my ten year old Ford with only 100K miles on it has completely rotten rear wheel wells that Ford knows about and doesn't care about their customers that they let down with shoddy materials. Shame on them! now I have to either have the dealer fix it knowing it will fail or return it and have no vehicle and loose my job thanks Ford.

- Lewiston, ME, USA