CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 3 of 15)

Nov 242015

Escape

Heard a noise near rear wheel house. Upon inspection it was discovered that the wheel house on the passenger rear was completely rusted to the point that the shock was just barely hanging on. The repair would cost more than the vehicle is worth. Lots of complaints on same issue that Ford refuses to address or correct. Should be compensation and/or a recall. Also looks like the same thing is happening to the other side. Nice job Ford!

- Homestead, FL, USA

Aug 232015

Escape

Was driving along city street when I went over a small bump, heard a loud thud! the wheel well on back passenger side was rusted away where the strut connects. Or where it was once connected... 155,673 miles, this is my only vehicle and unsafe to drive my family in.

- Shakopee, MN, USA

Escape

While driving the vehicle, there was a noise in the back passenger side of the vehicle when going over bumps only. We could not locate the noise inside the vehicle. (it sounds like the glass or the tire jack, were not secure.) the auto shop explained, that the vehicle is not attached to the shock, and it along with exhaust is coming in through the truck area. Explained that the vehicle was a ┐death trap┐ if hit from behind, the vehicle that hit this one would go right though this vehicle. Accorded to the auto shop, the issue is not fixable.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Nov 152015

Escape

Total rust in rear passenger side wheel well.

- Stewartstown, PA, USA

Nov 072015

Escape

2005 Ford Escape rear left inner wheel well rusted through and shock support broken loose it has 150,000 miles on it.

- Edwardsville, KS, USA

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the subframe had severe corrosion. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the subframe needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included in a manufacturer's recall related to the failure. The failure mileage was 111,000. Updated 1/12/16

- Dunkirk, NY, USA

Escape

I just bought a 2005 Ford Escape after getting fed up with Subaru's notorious headgasket issues only to find out now my ten year old Ford with only 100K miles on it has completely rotten rear wheel wells that Ford knows about and doesn't care about their customers that they let down with shoddy materials. Shame on them! now I have to either have the dealer fix it knowing it will fail or return it and have no vehicle and loose my job thanks Ford.

- Lewiston, ME, USA

Oct 252015

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving at approximately 35 mph, there was a loud abnormal noise coming from the rear passenger side of the vehicle. The failure occurred when driving on an uneven road. The contact inspected under the vehicle and discovered severe rust on the wheel well entering the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnose or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 135,000.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Oct 202015

Escape

My passenger rear end is all rusted out and the shock has come thru my vehicle. It sounds horrible, and was told it was very unsafe to drive, as the shock isn't connected to the body of the vehicle now. It will cost more then it's worth, and this is the only vehicle that I have to drive me and my family around in.

- Eaton Rapids, MI, USA

Oct 182015

Escape

After hitting pothole a loud banging sound was heard coming from rear storage area on passenger side. Vehicle was taken to service shop and was shown that rear passenger wheel well was completely rusted out leading to shock tower breaking loose from body and protruding into the rear cabin area. Service manager said this was likely due to catastrophic failure of body integrity in that area and stated that the vehicle was unsafe to drive. He also stated that he had seen this on other 2005 Ford vehicles (Windstar van). Given the construction of the body the service manager stated that the affected portion would need to be cut out and custom fabricated to replace the cut out area, likely costing nearly as much as the vehicle is worth.

- Onalaska, WI, USA

Oct 012015

Escape

You know what's wrong without me telling you. Tell me nobody has gone online and seen complaint after complaint and photo after photo of rusted fender wells? what exactly are you guys getting payed for by letting Ford get away with this. This vehicle only has 100,000 miles on it and it's to dangerous to drive!

- Poland, OH, USA

Oct 022015

Escape

Loud noise from right rear when driving. Upon inspection, shock mount in wheel well is badly rusted. The top of the shock is completely loose. Unsafe to operate the vehicle.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Oct 182015

Escape

When I was driving down the interstate at 70 mph, I began to hear a clunking sound from the rear passenger side. It happened every time I hit even a small bump or crack. When I took it to the body shop, they discovered the passenger side rear wheel well is corroded; rust/rot has caused the shock mount to become nearly completely detached from the frame. It is unsafe to drive, and body shops won't even provide an estimate for repairs as the deterioration is too extensive, and they can't fix it. A quick online search shows this is an ongoing issue with 2005 Escapes, and must be addressed for safety. The body shop owner told me not to take the car on the interstate because if I were to hit a bump at 65 mph, I would be "asking a lot of this car to hold together." The clunking sound is now consistent no matter what speed or surface I am driving on.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Oct 172015

Escape

Upon the opening of rear glass hatch, rh hinge snapped off and glass slipped out of place. Luckily, other side remained intact. Support had completely corroded from rust.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Jun 102015

Escape

Upon arriving home from trip, hubby said he had heard loud noise while driving and vehicle's rear end felt funny. Inspection turns up a completely rusted out passenger side rear fender well.

- Fairmont, WV, USA

Sep 302015

Escape

Wheel well rotted out causing shock to break loose and create unsafe vehicle. I was driving down the street when it finally let go and saw debris fall all over road and heard a loud bang from passenger side rear of car.

- Simpsonville, SC, USA

Oct 022015

Escape

My wife came home and mentioned it was making noise in the back. Upon inspection I noticed that both fender wells have rusted away and pulled away from body. The vehicle has only 100,000 miles and is well taken care of. Going online I read where many owners of vehicles built before and after 2005 are suffering from the same problem. I'm from Ohio and I'm familiar with surface rust but this is both extreme and dangerous. How many years and complaints have to pass before you do something. Ford needs to be made to own up to this and fix this. I have a vehicle I can't afford to fix or drive because the back shock mounts have rotted away.

- Poland, OH, USA

Oct 072015

Escape

Our 2005 Ford Escape has rusted through behind the right rear tire. We heard like a loud bang when driving it and found the wheel well is rusted and broken as is the shock tower and the right rear tail light has its wires cut due to the broken frame. We owe money on this vehicle and we cannot drive it right now. This is definitely a safety issue and we have contacted Ford with all the pertinent information.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Oct 012015

Escape

2005 Ford Escape, have had a lot of clunking in back of car, and the rear right wheel well is falling/rusting apart (other wheel wells are not, just rear passenger side) right where shock absorber is mounted. Large rusted out hole in wheel well, and if I press around the wheel well, the black coating crumbles revealing crumbling rust behind it. Many other 2005 Escape owners with same issue. I have no money to fix this; this is a dangerous flaw should it break through while driving at high speeds. Should be recalled and fixed by Ford. It can't be said this is just "normal wear and tear" when only the one wheel well is consistently the one that is rusting while the other wheel wells do not. I have 125K on my Escape, but who knows how long the hole has been there.

- Garden City, MI, USA

Oct 052015

Escape

Passenger side rear wheel well is completetly rotted/rusted and involves shock mount. It is unsafe to drive and research shows that this is an ongoing problem with this model. I heard rattling when I went over a bump and when I looked at the rear carriage of the vehicle I saw that the wheel well was totally destroyed by rust.

- Carbondale, PA, USA