CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 8 of 15)

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I began to hear a thumping sound from the passenger rear side like something was loose. It turns out that the wheel well is rusted through and the shock absorber is in danger of breaking loose which could cause further damage and make the vehicle difficult to control.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Oct 162014

Escape

I was driving down the street when I noticed a banging noise coming from the rear of the car. When I parked the car and investigated I realized that the passenger side rear wheel well was rusted out. My shock is not longer attached to the car and every time I hit a bump it slams into the car.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Jun 012013

Escape

We were driving our Escape on city roads when all of a sudden we heard a banging noise coming from the right rear side of the vehicle. After inspecting what was causing the noise, we found that the shock had completely went through the interior of the car. We can see the pavement from the inside of our trunk. We have been noticing an enormous amount of similar complaints for this problem and would like to know why there hasn't been a recall yet. We have always bought Ford cars because they have been safe for our family, however, we may have to reconsider next time. We still have not had the issue fixed and cannot drive the vehicle.

- Saline, MI, USA

Escape

Right rear wheel well has on my 2005 Ford Escape has rusted completely through. The shock absorber is banging against the inner interior molding when the vehicle goes over a bump. There are large holes in the passenger compartment and the shock absorber is about to separate entirely from the wheel well leaving the suspension on the right rear side of the vehicle compromised. The wheel well on the left rear of the vehicle is in tact.

- Woolwich, ME, USA

Jun 012014

Escape

During a move in which we were towing a trailer, we noticed the right wheel well was rusting out pretty bad when we could see straight through to the ground from the storage compartment for the electrical connectors. About 8 months later, driving back from a camping trip I started to hear a repeating "thud". my fiance and I couldn't figure out what it could be. I called my mechanic and as soon as I started to explain the sound and where it seemed to be coming from...he knew what had happened. His brother who also had an Escape had just had the same issue. The right rear wheel well had continued to corrode and rust, causing the shock to break. He referred me to a place that did the necessary repair/welding. They re-molded the well and replaced the shock. A $750 job. Said that they had several...I think they said at least 6 Escapes in for the same thing just in the last two weeks.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Escape

The right rear wheel well is all rusted out and the mount for the shock is barely attached. This is suspect because no other wheel wells on the car have corrosion like this.

- Redondo Beach, CA, USA

Oct 052014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While traveling approximately 30 mph, the rear passenger side shock fractured and punctured through a rusted hole into the rear interior of the vehicle. The contact inspected the vehicle and noticed that the underbody was rusted, the rear shock was rusted on the rear passenger side, and a large hole near the rear wheel well was present. The contact removed the rear shock, but the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 83,000.

- Sord City, PA, USA

Oct 032014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The right rear wheel well has completely corroded, and the shock absorber upper mount has almost completely separated from the body, making the vehicle undrivable.. the left rear shock absorber mount looks like new...no sign of rust. Looking online at Ford forums, there are alot of people complaining of this very problem. Furthermore, model years 2001-2004 Ford Escape were recalled for the very same problem.

- Poland, OH, USA

Jun 192014

Escape 6-cyl

I had to replace the rear shocks on this vehicle. In doing so the auto repair fatality showed me that the entire center of the right rear wheel well was corroded away, leaving big hole. The garage told me that they had seen this on several of this mode (2001-2007) I talked to a couple of dealers that told me the same thing. One even told me that he thought it should be a recall.

- Berea, OH, USA

Sep 262014

Escape

I have previously filed a complaint after taking the above car to a body shop when I noticed some rusting in the wheel well area. The body shop (X3) explained this was a known issue with Ford (prior to the 2001-2004 recall). I contacted Ford via E-mail, and filed a complaint here. The wheel wells in the rear of the vehicle were peeling, and I was told the shock mount would eventually punch through to the inside of my vehicle rendering the vehicle unsafe. This weekend, this exact thing happened. Ford has never acknowledged my issue, and I noticed the complaints on differently online forums have increased significantly since I first noticed the issue. My vehicle is well-cared for with all appropriate maintenance completed. The body shops I went to did not want to fix my vehicle because they felt Ford needed to acknowledge the problem.

- Mount Vernon, OH, USA

Sep 242014

Escape

Excessive wheel well rust such that the shock mount has disconnected.

- Fitchburg, WI, USA

Jun 222014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 35 mph, the contact heard an abnormal noise coming from the rear passenger side of the vehicle. The contact discovered that the wheel well was rusted out. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the shock mount was rusted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,300.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 152014

Escape

A severe rattle started in the right rear wheel well of my 2005 Ford Escape hybrid. A body shop determined that the right rear wheel well had nearly completely disintegrated due to rust and that the shock mount was hanging by a thread. An internet search performed by the shop revealed that this is a common problem to this make and model manufactured in the years around 2005 and that it occurs only the in right rear wheel well. The left rear wheel well is intact and solid.

- Alton, IL, USA

Sep 102014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving over bumps in the road at various speeds, the contact could hear a hard knocking sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the rear passenger side wheel well was rusted and corroded along with part of the subframe. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 135,000.

- Trenton, MI, USA

May 162013

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling in Virginia last summer on I-81, the body end of the rear passenger side shock-absorber came loose from the frame. We stopped shortly after we felt and heard something that was clearly abnormal and a mechanic told us the car was so rusted in that wheel well that the top of the shock had nothing to hold to. We were on a long trip, so we had the shock cut out until we got home. None of the other underbody areas showed significant rust, according to the mechanics we consulted, so we subsequently paid several hundred dollars to have a new wheel well fabricated and installed along with new rear shocks on both sides. We see no recall for this problem but on the web we quickly found several owners of the same model car describing the same problem - the passenger side rear wheel well rusting out. How can this not be a design issue? certainly it's significant a safety issue, especially since the area of severe rust was not apparent from looking at the car. Now the driver side is showing significant exterior rust at the lip of the wheel well, so we will be sending it in to have our mechanic see if the same problem is happening on the rear driver side. Help! thank you for anything you can do.

- Rome, NY, USA

Sep 052014

Escape 6-cyl

The right rear shock broke loose as a result of extreme rust in the right rear wheel well around the shock tower.

- Wyoming, MI, USA

Sep 012014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Right, rear wheel well is completely rusted out. Shock has become detached. Loud banging noise. Shock poking through to the trunk. Unsafe to drive.

- Campus, IL, USA

Aug 292014

Escape

Ford Escape 2005 was up for inspection/emissions in pa. It was found to have excessive rust and corrosion to both rear wheel wells, needing full replacement prior to passing inspection. This is an issue that has been found repeatedly with 04-06 models. It is a safety hazard, as gone unnoticed, can cause the shocks to break through while driving. The expense of repair is estimated at over $1400. There is no current recall by Ford, yet, they are noted to have implemented body changes to fix this issue on subsequent model Escapes. An otherwise 'healthy' low mileage var could be deemed "totaled" due to such damage, yet no recall.

- Pgh, PA, USA

Aug 302014

Escape 6-cyl

My wife was driving her 2005 Ford Escape and noticed a loud noise coming from the passenger side rear of the vehicle. The noise happened when she was hitting bumps in the road. Upon inspection of the vehicle, I notice a hole rusted through the wheel well on the rear passenger side. I removed the interior panel to discover the wheel well completely rusted through around the shock mount. This is an extremely dangerous situation!. I thoroughly checked all of the other shocks on the vehicle. This area is the only one affected.

- Howell, MI, USA

Aug 282014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the rear wheel well rusted through and punctured the suspension. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the wheel well needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 135,000. Updated 10/07/14 the consumer stated the shock absorber support tower broke free from the wheel well. Updated 03/12/2015

- Shell Lake , WI, USA