Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 8 of 15)

Oct 032014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The right rear wheel well has completely corroded, and the shock absorber upper mount has almost completely separated from the body, making the vehicle undrivable.. the left rear shock absorber mount looks like sign of rust. Looking online at Ford forums, there are alot of people complaining of this very problem. Furthermore, model years 2001-2004 Ford Escape were recalled for the very same problem.

- Poland, OH, USA

Jun 192014

Escape 6-cyl

I had to replace the rear shocks on this vehicle. In doing so the auto repair fatality showed me that the entire center of the right rear wheel well was corroded away, leaving big hole. The garage told me that they had seen this on several of this mode (2001-2007) I talked to a couple of dealers that told me the same thing. One even told me that he thought it should be a recall.

- Berea, OH, USA

Sep 262014

I have previously filed a complaint after taking the above car to a body shop when I noticed some rusting in the wheel well area. The body shop (X3) explained this was a known issue with Ford (prior to the 2001-2004 recall). I contacted Ford via E-mail, and filed a complaint here. The wheel wells in the rear of the vehicle were peeling, and I was told the shock mount would eventually punch through to the inside of my vehicle rendering the vehicle unsafe. This weekend, this exact thing happened. Ford has never acknowledged my issue, and I noticed the complaints on differently online forums have increased significantly since I first noticed the issue. My vehicle is well-cared for with all appropriate maintenance completed. The body shops I went to did not want to fix my vehicle because they felt Ford needed to acknowledge the problem.

- Mount Vernon, OH, USA

Sep 242014

Excessive wheel well rust such that the shock mount has disconnected.

- Fitchburg, WI, USA

Jun 222014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 35 mph, the contact heard an abnormal noise coming from the rear passenger side of the vehicle. The contact discovered that the wheel well was rusted out. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the shock mount was rusted. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,300.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Sep 152014

A severe rattle started in the right rear wheel well of my 2005 Ford Escape hybrid. A body shop determined that the right rear wheel well had nearly completely disintegrated due to rust and that the shock mount was hanging by a thread. An internet search performed by the shop revealed that this is a common problem to this make and model manufactured in the years around 2005 and that it occurs only the in right rear wheel well. The left rear wheel well is intact and solid.

- Alton, IL, USA

Sep 102014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving over bumps in the road at various speeds, the contact could hear a hard knocking sound coming from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the rear passenger side wheel well was rusted and corroded along with part of the subframe. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 135,000.

- Trenton, MI, USA

May 162013

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling in Virginia last summer on I-81, the body end of the rear passenger side shock-absorber came loose from the frame. We stopped shortly after we felt and heard something that was clearly abnormal and a mechanic told us the car was so rusted in that wheel well that the top of the shock had nothing to hold to. We were on a long trip, so we had the shock cut out until we got home. None of the other underbody areas showed significant rust, according to the mechanics we consulted, so we subsequently paid several hundred dollars to have a new wheel well fabricated and installed along with new rear shocks on both sides. We see no recall for this problem but on the web we quickly found several owners of the same model car describing the same problem - the passenger side rear wheel well rusting out. How can this not be a design issue? certainly it's significant a safety issue, especially since the area of severe rust was not apparent from looking at the car. Now the driver side is showing significant exterior rust at the lip of the wheel well, so we will be sending it in to have our mechanic see if the same problem is happening on the rear driver side. Help! thank you for anything you can do.

- Rome, NY, USA

Sep 052014

Escape 6-cyl

The right rear shock broke loose as a result of extreme rust in the right rear wheel well around the shock tower.

- Wyoming, MI, USA

Sep 012014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Right, rear wheel well is completely rusted out. Shock has become detached. Loud banging noise. Shock poking through to the trunk. Unsafe to drive.

- Campus, IL, USA

Aug 292014

Ford Escape 2005 was up for inspection/emissions in pa. It was found to have excessive rust and corrosion to both rear wheel wells, needing full replacement prior to passing inspection. This is an issue that has been found repeatedly with 04-06 models. It is a safety hazard, as gone unnoticed, can cause the shocks to break through while driving. The expense of repair is estimated at over $1400. There is no current recall by Ford, yet, they are noted to have implemented body changes to fix this issue on subsequent model Escapes. An otherwise 'healthy' low mileage var could be deemed "totaled" due to such damage, yet no recall.

- Pgh, PA, USA

Aug 302014

Escape 6-cyl

My wife was driving her 2005 Ford Escape and noticed a loud noise coming from the passenger side rear of the vehicle. The noise happened when she was hitting bumps in the road. Upon inspection of the vehicle, I notice a hole rusted through the wheel well on the rear passenger side. I removed the interior panel to discover the wheel well completely rusted through around the shock mount. This is an extremely dangerous situation!. I thoroughly checked all of the other shocks on the vehicle. This area is the only one affected.

- Howell, MI, USA

Aug 282014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the rear wheel well rusted through and punctured the suspension. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the wheel well needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 135,000. Updated 10/07/14 the consumer stated the shock absorber support tower broke free from the wheel well. Updated 03/12/2015

- Shell Lake , WI, USA

Jun 042014

While driving the vehicle we noticed a noise from the front end. Took it to a local mechanic who stated the wheel veering was bad, though he could not change it do to the frame was rotted. Upon further inspection we noticed several locations on the frame are rotted through and the vehicle will not pass inspection.

- Winchester, NH, USA

Aug 072014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 30 mph, the contact heard a loud clanking noise from the rear of the vehicle. The contact discovered that the rear passenger side wheel well was corroded and caused the shock absorber to separate from the vehicle. The vehicle was examined by an independent mechanic, but parts were not available to repair the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Veedersburg, IN, USA

Aug 252014

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving when very loud banging start in the rear trunk area. I thought it was a worn shock. It was much worse than that. The shock mount was completely rusted away from the body. There is a large hole in the trunk area where you can see the tire from inside.

- Poplar Grove, IL, USA

Aug 212014

While driving the 2005 Escape a noise was starting to come from the right rear of the car. Suddenly there was a loud clanking when ever a bump or even slight change in the road occurred. Almost ran off the road it was so sudden. It sounded like something was coming through the back of the car. When I got to work I couldn't find anything, but it continued. Finally I had someone look it over closely and they found that the right rear well was rusted out and the shock was not connected to anything on the car as there was nothing for it to connect to. Took it to 2 different body shops to check on the repairs needed one quoted $3-$5,000 the other said at least $3,000. Both said they had seen this exact same problem on this year vehicle several times in the past month! what is going on? the Ford dealership acted like they didn't know anything about it. Come on! something is up. Very disappointed in Ford. We have always had Ford, all of our vehicles are Ford and until recently we had not had any issues. Now we are questioning our loyalty, big time.

- Morrow, OH, USA

Aug 232014

While driving our 2005 Ford Escape we heard loud banging noises coming from the right rear of the vehicle whenever we went over a bump. We inspected our Escape and discovered the right rear fender well is severely rusted out. We were extremely upset to realize our son had been driving this car and could have suffered a severe injury due to this structural defect. We researched this and discovered many other Ford Escape owners have had this same experience. With no official recall, we are forced to research possible repair; however, even is we repair this vehicle, we are not sure we would put our son or ourselves behind the wheel again.

- Shelby Township, MI, USA

Jul 252014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving various speeds, the contact heard an abnormal noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the rear passenger wheel well and shocks steel metal corroded and fractured. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 117,000.

- Champion , MI, USA

May 012014

Escape 6-cyl

My 2005 Ford Escape began making a rattling noise in the back passenger side of the vehicle. When I went over bumps, the noise became louder. I was unable to determine the problem until I noticed that the wheel well of my vehicle completely corroded away. Quickly the shock tower has gone through my trunk leaving a hole in my trunk into the wheel well of my vehicle. I learned of this when I was walking to my vehicle and saw some clothes from my trunk hanging out of the car through the wheel well. Through my research I have found that the Escapes from 2001-2004 have had these same issues, but have been recalled. I am confused as to why the 2005S have not yet been recalled. I have children that could literally fall through the vehicle from inside. This website,, describes the same issues I have encountered.

- Allen Park, MI, USA