Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 15)

Jul 142016

Takata recall passenger back tower wheel rusted on my 2005 Ford Escape the meter sensor keep going off like the doors are still open the rims of the car has rusted like we had the car for 30 years in motion when I notice the wheel tower rusted out

- Detroit, MI, USA

Sep 022016

Right rear shock tower mount is completely rusted away. The shock has forced the tower up into the wheel well, through the plastic in the interior of the car. The car is unsafe to drive. Ford issued a recall for the exact same problem for 2001-2004 Escape vehicles manufactured, but not for the 2005 model which has the exact same problem.

- Fitchburg, WI, USA

Sep 102016

I have a 2005 Ford Escape that started making sounds in the back of the vehicle while driving in the town streets coming home when I hit bumps. We looked at the rear passenger side tire well and the shock mount is rusted through. The body is resting on the coil. I am afraid to drive it due to the danger of the body coming down on the wheel.

- Monmouth, IL, USA

Sep 032016

Went to replace rear shocks. Rear passenger wheel well has rusted and I could move shock mount tower when truck is bounced. Also have banging and bouncing going on. Rides rough and have a rust hole and can see tire below. Bad engineering design. The Ford Motor Company should fess up and correct this, but they won't they got their money!!!

- Woburn, MA, USA

Jul 222016

I bought my 2005 Ford Escape from a local dealership 15 months, and 6000 miles ago. I noticed that it just always felt "rickety", and had it in to be looked at three times during the first four months, and new tires, an "exciter ring" and sway bars didn't seem to really do much. Over the course of the llast month, I noticed a loud "knocking sound" coming from the back passenger side. I thought maybe the gate wasn't shut all the way. That wasn't it. I started driving with the seats down in the back, trying to watch and listen to where it was coming from. I looked up under the wheel well, and was shocked at the corrosion, and took it to the local muffler man. I was told that this "excessive rust and corrosion in the rear passenger wheel well is a defect in the vehicle", and that I needed to take it back to the dealership. I did. I was sent to a body shop and told to "raise hell with Ford", because this is a known defect. I got a quote of $8000 to fix it. I still owe $6000... I opened a case with Ford motors, and was told that they were "giving the dealership the green light to make it right", and that the dealership was obligated to take photos. No photos were taken, and the service manager told me he responded to my case, and that there was nothing else that was going to be done. And that "even if one of the body shops in town would work on it, it wouldn't be until at the earliest November". he then smirked at me, and said "so what are you going to do"? well. Here we are. This was July 25, 2016. I was told that the vehicle is undriveable, and that if I were in an accident, that my insurance wouldn't cover it because of the shock tower coming up through the inside of the car ( that started July 22, the day I stopped driving it, except to drive it to the dealership) that I now knew about but cannot fix.

- Gaylord, MI, USA

Jul 222016

My 2005 Ford Escape has excessive fender well rust, a defect that causes the shock tower to dislodge from the frame, rendering the vehicle undriveable. It happens from the inside out, and when a thunking noise begins, it's too late. $8000 to repair a vehicle that I was told by every local body shop, wouldn't even really correct it. It's a structural defect. The shock tower is now coming through the cargo area of my car

- Gaylord, MI, USA

Apr 292011

This vehicle and every other one I have seen has had the rear wheel well rust out and have the shock go up through the shock does not matter the brand either.. Ford Chevy or Dodge, they all do it.. why can't you guys help us out, and make these car companies stand behind there sheet metal for at least a 100 thousand miles.. we pay enough for these vehicles.. I am not rich you know..

- Alanson, MI, USA

Jan 012010

Takata recall: Passenger rear panel rusted out inside wheel well

- Niles, IL, USA

Apr 012016

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the inner fender well on the rear passenger side had rusted and fractured. The failure caused the axle to be unstable. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the shock mounting bracket detached from the inner fender. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 90,000.

- Taylor, MI, USA

Jul 162016

Rust frame on wheel wells and other frame issues...

- Camp Hill, PA, USA

Jul 042016

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact heard an unusual noise near the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the frame was rusted out. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The dealer stated that the vehicle was not safe to drive. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 109,475.

- Peoria, IL, USA

Oct 312015

While driving on the freeway started hearing a loud sound and the car became bumpy and bouncy. Pulled off the freeway, but could not identify the problem. Took to a garage and told right rear inner shock mount and fender panel had rotted. Ford had a replacement part for this condition, but did not have a recall. Labor cost due to welding was $1300, total cost $1,966. How could Ford have a replacement part, but not a recall? tried 3 garages only 1 (who had a welder) would consider the job. Car could not be driven...condition worsened quickly and had to drive 10 mph to get estimates with blinkers on...hoping no one would hit us. Scary! had to replace inner shock mount and fender panel, install, weld, and seal. Also needed new rear shocks.

- Germantown, WI, USA

Apr 012016

Entire right wheel well of the vehicle is rusting away. The shock absorber is mounted to this sheet metal, so it is no longer effective, making the vehicle unsafe to drive. I understand this is a common problem with these vehicles and Ford will do nothing to compensate me. Currently hearing a loud thumping at every bump, due to the shock becoming detached from the vehicle.

- Naperville, IL, USA

Jun 012006

Rust around quarter panel back end, rust through passenger wheel well area. To the put the it is rusting and eventually the wheel well will no longer whole the strut in. Which puts me at risk of getting seriously hurt. This SUV is located in a southern state no reason for it to rust like that. I've seen and owned older vehicles that didn't rust.bad metal or rust protection. To get fixed I'm looking at $1000 to $4000 who has that to pay for something like that when Ford knows there is a issue and hasn't fixed it yet.

- Crossville, TN, USA

Aug 012015

Right rear shock tower mount is completed rusted away causing the shock to travel up into the wheel well

- Burlington, WI, USA

Apr 042016

2005 Ford Escape 4X4 V6 passenger side rear wheel house rusted significantly enough to cause rear wheel shock connected to wheel house to forcefully separate and begin colliding with the inside plastic moulding in the trunk of the car. Damage was initially found while in motion, noticed by a rattling noise in the rear of the vehicle. Upon further inspection and removal of the plastic trunk housing, the entire top of the wheel well was very clearly rusted. The shock was still connected to a piece of the wheel house. The rear passenger shock had forcefully disconnected the piece of the wheel house it was attached to because of the overwhelming around of rust. Auto-body shop quoted a $2,000 repair (for a car bought for #3,600) to order a new wheelhouse and install it. Professional auto body shop teams quoted that the issue wasn't something you could patch or lightly repair, and the shock would need to be reattached to the body of the car to be driven safely. Ford was contacted twice and replied with their apologies that the customer was experiencing this issue, knowingly aware that the 2001-2004 models of this vehicle were recalled for the exact same issue and that hundreds of other customers have seen this issue around 120,000 miles. The issue seems to always be on the rear passenger side with no significant rust or damage on the drivers side.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Feb 032014

Rear wheel wells rusting out as well as rear seat wells under doors rusting off in huge chunks, cruise, cd player doesnt work, radio shorts out on volume control goes louder instead of lower volume, also front axle had to be replaced at joe lake tire do they use timken products?

- Monroe, MI, USA

Jan 012015

This car has 80000miles on it and is totally rusted out in the rear passenger wheel well and shock tower. I have been quoted 5000 to fix the car to meet safety standards. I can see the tire all the way thru the metal.

- Manassas, VA, USA

May 132015

I had finance a 2005 Ford Escape XLT after had the vehicle for two month I notice a strange sounds for the back of the vehicle I track and found out that the rear. Underneath the car panel where the shockwas at is rusted all through. The the front tire is wear and the vehicle is driving bad shocks struct and wheel elignment was all effect with the rust panal from shocks...

- Detroit, MI, USA

Feb 122016

The frame of the vehicle has rusted and the suspension broke free while it was being driven. Ford has recalled up the model year of 2004 because of frame rust through in the northern states. In speaking with the repair shop he said he has seen a number of these problems. I called Ford customer service and was told my car has no known issues.

- Rochester, NY, USA