CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Nov 012013

Escape 6-cyl

ABS light came on. 4WD light started blinking. There was a grinding noise coming from the wheel/brake area of the vehicle. The ABS light remained on but the 4WD flashed and then turned off. It came back on intermittently and flashed several times. There seemed to be no functional problems with the brakes or wheels.

- Wilton, CT, USA

Oct 172013

Escape

Had car in the shop for oil change and it was noted by the mechanic that both front brake lines are showing signs of cracking and deterioration. In danger of failing. This problem seems to be very prevalent and dangerous, why have you not instituted a recall or forced Ford Motor Co. To address this issue?

- Glen Gardner, NJ, USA

Sep 242013

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

ABS light suddenly came on and I had to press the brakes almost all the way to the floor to stop the car. I pulled over and turned the car off. When I started the car back up, there was no ABS light or service engine indicator. Mechanic said that I need to replace the master cylinder and possibly the hcu. But they don't know if that will fix it.

- North Hollywood, CA, USA

May 162013

Escape 6-cyl

The front brake line on the passenger side blew out leaking brake fluid, was pulled in to garage. Now today 6/17/2013 the drivers side brake line blew out losing brakes completely, both times very dangerous.

- Washburn, ND, USA

Feb 112013

Escape 4-cyl

My drivers side brake line ruptured and left me without brakes. Luckily, it happened in my garage, so there was no accident. I inspected the other 3 brake lines and they were on the verge of rupturing. I replaced all 4 lines. I realize the parts are not covered by warranty anymore, but replacing brake lines after 7 years is much sooner than I would expect. Brake lines should not be a normal service item like spark plugs. I like my 2005 Ford Escape. I don't want to complain about it, but I need to report this dangerous incident. It appears to me there is a quality defect with the brake lines. Other Escape owners need to know about this. They need to check their brake lines and replace them if necessary. I'm afraid someone's brake line will rupture and cause an accident.

- Freeport, IL, USA

Jan 202013

Escape 6-cyl

I returned home from a local trip. Parked my Ford Escape in the garage. When my son attempted to leave with the car about 15 minutes later, there was little braking power. He returned the car to the garage and we noticed a leak around the right front passenger tire. When I inspected the leak underneath the car, and had my wife pump the brakes, I saw the leak was coming from the brake line connection of rubber to metal under the wheel well. I looked online and read several accounts of the same issue, with the brake line failing on the 2005 Ford Escape. I will be having my Escape brake line issue repaired this week.

- Savage, MN, USA

Aug 012012

Escape 6-cyl

In Aug 2012 we were on our way back from a vacation and our ABS light came on, along with a flashing 4X4 light. We had no idea what it was or what to do. The vehicle drove fine and stopped fine, except for a couple of times it felt as if the ABS engaged on dry cement. We stopped to eat and shop for a few hours and the lights were off when we got back in the vehicle. They didn't come on again until a few days ago (Jan 2013). However, I had been complaining to my husband recently that the brakes didn't seem to work right. I hit ice and the ABS didn't engage..no light either..but the grinding sound once in awhile was still there. So we took it in and put it on the computer to diagnose the problem. Came back with 2 codes U2023 and C1234. Which means the right front tone ring is bad. After searching the internet, I found this to be a very common problem. Also got under the truck and sure enough the tone ring is cracked and spinning around loosely. The safety issue here is the ABS will lock up randomly on dry cement when you start to apply your brakes. Which then you can't completely control your vehicles direction and if you take your foot off the break to control your vehicle, then you may hit someone or something. I am thankful for all the info I have found so when it gets repaired they can't screw me over.

- Mason City, IA, USA

Dec 282012

Escape

I was driving up to a stop light so I removed my foot from the gas and to the brake, before I could get to the red light it changed to green, I went to press on the gas and the pedal was stuck. It would not go down nothing. I coasted to the side of the busy highway kept trying to press it and it wouldn't go down. After about 5 mins of just sitting there I tried it again and it went down without a problem. This vehicle was recalled in the prior years for this exact issue 2004 and below. However my 2005 is not recalled. It is now at the Ford dealership and I am waiting on a cost estimate. The vehcile did tend to do this from time to time only when its cold outside. I took it in several years ago to be repaird and when they test drove it, it woudn't stick for them so no issue was found for them to repair.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Aug 182012

Escape 6-cyl

On August 18th 2012 I was returning home from grocery shopping in downtown hamilton mt when our 2005 Ford Escape accelerated out of control and would not stop. I managed to Dodge traffic and people and put it in park and hold my foot down on the brake but it kept speeding. It continued to race down the street about mile or more until I came to a place I was able to turn off the street into a parking area with a corral which had an iron gate on the fence that I felt would stop me. It finally slowed down and I was able to turn off the key and stop; thank god without hitting or harming anyone still it was a terrifying event.

- Hamilton , MT, USA

Jul 272012

Escape

Had light warning of brake failure. Investigation discovered broken ring with teeth on front axle that senses wheel rotation. Part is called "tone ring" Ford part #7L8Z-2C182-B. this causes a failure of the ABS and traction control system. Internet search showed this as a very common problem with all year Ford Escapes and is a very bad design. This $32 part causes a $300 parts and labor cost since recommended fix is to replace a perfectly good axle. It appears to be caused by expansion and contraction of the ring and rust between the axle and the pressed on ring.

- Warren, MI, USA